Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Robert Benchley Article

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
"How To Sleep" is one of the greatest comedy shorts ever made. And also one of the most true to life.

"It's funny because it's true" was never more appropriate than when discussing a Benchley bit! How to Sleep is an Academy-Award winning short and deservedly so; it's laugh-out-loud hilarious!

I love his gentle humor and self-deprecating manner. My wife says that Benchley is "adorable."

What a shame he died so young (aged 56 in 1945).

sixties.nut

Looking At Nathan's Movietone link

Benchleys story on Movietone Blog mentions 'Pete Smith Specialties' these were the funniest loops ever to hit TV, even up to now.

Not to be confused with 'Frackured Flickers' which were almost as funny, but just missed the mark of the commentary gags of the PS specialties.

Fractured Flickers can be found on DVD, but do any of you vintage videolaphiles know where to snag a set of Pete's work. Last time I looked into it, I came up short.:eusa_booh

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Office software is blocking the article. I'll read it at home. But, yes, I'm a huge Benchley fan as well. Starting with the hilarious "Sex Life of the Polyp", and right on through.
I assume everybody knows he's the father of Nathaniel Benchley, well known writer, and grandfather of Peter Benchley, author of the one and only "Jaws".

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Disney has the released the short of "The Reluctant Dragon" on VHS and DVD but sadly not the feature The Reluctant Dragon.
It is a funny Benchley movie, a look at how a Disney cartoon is made and has a surprising cameo of Alan Ladd.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana