Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings from Los Angeles... and some noob questions

Bugleboy10

New in Town
I've never been a hat guy, but last month my wife and I were at the Mob Museum and on a whim I tried on a fedora in the gift shop. Her look and compliment was all it took, and I bought it without a second thought. Turns out it's a Dorfman paper straw trilby (see pic), but I've worn it almost every day since so now she's created a monster and I want to get something that suits me even more (I even already have my mind considering custom in the future once I really know what I want). I think for my first "real" purchase, I want a crushable hat to take anywhere and everywhere (work, dates, hikes, etc.). Definitely a wider (but still snap) brim, a size larger, and probably a neutral gray based on what I've read from you good people over the past few weeks. I'm going to visit a few shops in town later this week and had a few questions which I could not find the answer to.

1) What material is cooler or better ventilated (besides straw)? Living in Los Angeles, it's hot way more often than it is cold. The local offerings seem to include wool, "Litefelt" wool, and fur (Royal quality from Stetson).

2) It seems like center dent crowns would be easier to crush and roll up, or am I incorrect? I seem to like the teardrop although I plan to try on both.

3) How can you tell if a hat can be rolled? If any of you know offhand, some of the models that may be available locally include the Stetson Runabout, Scala DF60, and Bailey Tino.

Hat.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
There's Panama straw (toquilla straw hats from Ecuador), Milan weaves, raffia, hemp weaves, etc. Look around on ebay to get an idea of all the different types of straw available. I like the toquilla straw and Milan myself.

There's a style out there called semi-colada that's real nice for warm weather, too.

Also, for a custom, look at the "Pandora" or Hybrid, which is a toquilla straw hat body skillfully mated to a felt brim. Very classy. Check out the custom hatter threads on here... VS (Vintage Silhouettes), Penman, Gannon, NW Hats, Alley Kat Hats, Blacksheep Hat Works... to name just a few.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might want to take a look at the hemp hats from Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth. They had a $100.00 sale on them this summer, but I'm not sure if it's still on. You can also have your hat customized into pretty much any shape you want, and the hemp is very light and more ventilated than most of my other straws.
P.S. Your face isn't too different from mine and I stay away from center-dents, as they make me look like the class dunce. Best thing to do is to spend some time in a hat store, trying on different shapes in front of a mirror. It's the kind of thing that yoy know immediately if the style is for you or not.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Litefelt wool hats are crushable, IIRC, but it's generally advisable to not roll or crush your hat for any long term purpose.

There's a strong preference for fur felt hats here over wool. The Stetson Runabout is their travel felt. It's not in their current line up, but a hat shop might have a Stetson Globetrotter...I picked one up at the Hatco outlet in April.

Bugleboy10

New in Town
There's Panama straw (toquilla straw hats from Ecuador), Milan weaves, raffia, hemp weaves, etc. Look around on ebay to get an idea of all the different types of straw available. I like the toquilla straw and Milan myself.

There's a style out there called semi-colada that's real nice for warm weather, too.
So is felt just considered a no-no in warm weather? I like the way it looks, and for now am looking for a "Fall" fashion, although I do suspect I will be getting a nicer straw hat in a lighter color early next year.

P.S. Your face isn't too different from mine and I stay away from center-dents, as they make me look like the class dunce. Best thing to do is to spend some time in a hat store, trying on different shapes in front of a mirror. It's the kind of thing that yoy know immediately if the style is for you or not.
Thanks, I am liking the teardrop right now, and this is the exact reason I plan on visiting some local shops first. They may cost a tad more than the internet, but it's worth it when I have nothing to go by other than the $20 hat I bought and a seamstress tape measure.

Welcome to the Lounge and your new obsession. Living in LA, you have an advantage over a lot of us when it comes to collecting, what with all the cool vintage stuff that Hollywood seems to discard from time to time.
Absolutely! I plan to hit up various trendy thrift stores any time I'm down by Hollywood or Santa Monica.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
So is felt just considered a no-no in warm weather? I like the way it looks, and for now am looking for a "Fall" fashion, although I do suspect I will be getting a nicer straw hat in a lighter color early next year.

Thanks, I am liking the teardrop right now, and this is the exact reason I plan on visiting some local shops first. They may cost a tad more than the internet, but it's worth it when I have nothing to go by other than the $20 hat I bought and a seamstress tape measure.

Absolutely! I plan to hit up various trendy thrift stores any time I'm down by Hollywood or Santa Monica.
If you want to wear fur felt in warmer weather you should. Many of us here do. When I do, I prefer lighter colors.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
All things being equal, a straw hat is going to be relatively more comfortable than a felt hat in warmer weather. It'll be lighter on your head and have more breathability.

That having been said, if it's hot, it's hot. I wore a felt hat walking around Antietam in the middle of June. Better than having no hat, but I was plenty sweaty. Check out Akubra hats, out of Australia...they're made for the outback. Western hats were felt before they were straw.

So is felt just considered a no-no in warm weather?
It really depends on the wearer's preferences. As Bob Roberts mentioned above, many of us here do, including me. I live about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, and wear my fur felt hats year 'round. Yes, I sweat, but that's better than sunburn or having cancer carved off of your face. To be honest I wouldn't mind trying a straw hat, but I haven't yet found one I like for a price I can live with.

Additionally, I'll second JLee's recommendation that you look into Akubra hats. Considering their reputation for durability and their comparatively reasonable prices, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck and a hat you'll probably be wearing for a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long time.

Last edited:

Bugleboy10

New in Town
Again, thanks everyone. Since nobody local carries Akubra, I'm not going to worry about them for now, but I will definitely keep them in mind once I learn what brim and crown I prefer. It stands to reason that down under isn't very concerned with warmth either. While not quite 115, we frequently top 100 where I live July through September. I definitely have a "large forehead" and some real estate opening up on the back of my head, so sun protection is crucial and I've read that open weaves can let you burn. I also don't like browns much, but I did find a few nice gray milan hats online.

Thanks for the comment on rolling. I guess I'll avoid that. I just want something I can fold and stuff in my pocket or backpack when I reach a long shady section of hiking, get on a ride at an amusement park, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with Zenas Hats in Glendale or Hollywood Hatters? Those are the closest to me so I'm going to hit them first although Hollywood Hatters doesn't list any crushable models on their website. Oh, and apparently a hat cart at The Grove which a friend said I should check out.

I live in the Pacific Northwest so 100 degree heat is never a problem but we do hit into the 80's once in while. My go to hat in the spring and early summer is a felt hat that Mike at NW Hats made for me. I asked him to pounce to a light weight a Sand coloured felt, no liner just a tip liner. It is now my alternate to a Panama in the sunshine. It is really comfortable. Other hatters offer lighter weight felts as well.
The other alternate is a light linen newsboy cap. I have one in the car and it is easily packed or thrown into a back pack when hiking in case a hat is required.

Bugleboy10

New in Town
I live in the Pacific Northwest so 100 degree heat is never a problem but we do hit into the 80's once in while. My go to hat in the spring and early summer is a felt hat that Mike at NW Hats made for me. I asked him to pounce to a light weight a Sand coloured felt, no liner just a tip liner. It is now my alternate to a Panama in the sunshine. It is really comfortable. Other hatters offer lighter weight felts as well.
The other alternate is a light linen newsboy cap. I have one in the car and it is easily packed or thrown into a back pack when hiking in case a hat is required.
Hah! I visited Washington last Summer and my relatives were complaining about the "heat wave". It never occurred to me that most of you guys don't install sprinklers because you get so much rain, but last Summer people either had brown lawns or hand watered every day for a month or two. As for me, call it water conservation or laziness, I no longer have a "lawn". I mow the weeds :-D

I am definitely considering NW Hats. The prices are easy to swallow, and I visit relatives near there often enough that I might be able to time it right to pick up the hat in person. I hadn't realized I could ask for a lighter weight felt. Add that to the list of demands when it comes time to get a custom hat. For now, I'll hope for an off-the-shelf hat with no liner, but I'm sure I could remove it easily enough if it comes with one.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hah! I visited Washington last Summer and my relatives were complaining about the "heat wave". It never occurred to me that most of you guys don't install sprinklers because you get so much rain, but last Summer people either had brown lawns or hand watered every day for a month or two. As for me, call it water conservation or laziness, I no longer have a "lawn". I mow the weeds :-D

I am definitely considering NW Hats. The prices are easy to swallow, and I visit relatives near there often enough that I might be able to time it right to pick up the hat in person. I hadn't realized I could ask for a lighter weight felt. Add that to the list of demands when it comes time to get a custom hat. For now, I'll hope for an off-the-shelf hat with no liner, but I'm sure I could remove it easily enough if it comes with one.
Im confused. Are you looking for a fall/winter fur felt or a spring/summer straw? Summer is like over in 3 weeks... I wear lighter fur felts at times during the summer especially during cooler summer evenings and I'll wear straw on a hot fall day in Sept/Oct too. So if you're bagging summer just get a fur felt but if you want something for right now and intend to wear it for a month or two get a straw. Northwest Hats has abt an 8 week wait...
I must 2nd Tropical Bobs recommendation of a custom Peter Bros natural Milan Hemp for $100. Absolute killer hat for the money and their milan hemps are a hardy/sturdy straw. Im pretty darn sure they'll honor that sale price for Fellow Loungers. Keep in mind that there's also a (2-3+ week) wait for a Peter Bros hat.

Last edited:

Bugleboy10

New in Town
I'm looking for an eveyday hat to just take anywhere and everywhere I want, any time. I'm sure I will eventually add to the collection for certain types of occasions. The custom is many months in the future, if I continue to enjoy wearing my "starter" hat on a daily basis.

I suppose I'm looking for an everyday felt hat for now to carry me through the Winter and beyond, and maybe get a good straw hat before next Spring.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Again, thanks everyone. Since nobody local carries Akubra, I'm not going to worry about them for now, but I will definitely keep them in mind once I learn what brim and crown I prefer. It stands to reason that down under isn't very concerned with warmth either. While not quite 115, we frequently top 100 where I live July through September. I definitely have a "large forehead" and some real estate opening up on the back of my head, so sun protection is crucial and I've read that open weaves can let you burn. I also don't like browns much, but I did find a few nice gray milan hats online.

Thanks for the comment on rolling. I guess I'll avoid that. I just want something I can fold and stuff in my pocket or backpack when I reach a long shady section of hiking, get on a ride at an amusement park, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with Zenas Hats in Glendale or Hollywood Hatters? Those are the closest to me so I'm going to hit them first although Hollywood Hatters doesn't list any crushable models on their website. Oh, and apparently a hat cart at The Grove which a friend said I should check out.

Hello and welcome to being here. You are doing great in asking questions to learn. Hats are so versatile and as you are starting to find out, there are a great variety of them all depending on your budget and your desires to own more. If you stick around you will find that you are being bitten by the "hat bug"...prepare to scour the earth for your next "prized" find. As my Husband lived in Southern California for many many years, he is well aware of the hot weather factors. He suggests that you find straws or panama hats and as a few here have made mention, check out the hats from Akubra. If you like the felt hat fedora look, the Akubra is a great hat to purchase. The Aussie dollar value has dipped, so you can buy from them now at less of an American Dollar cost, as their money is worth less than the USD. You can get a great deal on any of their hats and they look great and are made to take a beating and still look nice. If you want something "custom" made we have a large offering of Custom Hatters right here on the Lounge. Art Fawcett, Black Sheep Hats, Alley Kat Hats , Esther (she is located in Belgium but does great work for a decent price and loves to make hats for us) and I am sure there are others, Northwestern, Major Moore, etc....but no matter what if you ask we will sure try our best as a group to point you in the direction you want to go...even Stetson has some nice summer hats, their Stratoliner Straw hat is not real straw but is made in such a way it should last a long time and looks really sharp. It all just really depends on your wallet. Also lets us know your hat size...many here may have something for sale...look in the classifieds here.

ENJOY!
Cindy

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm looking for an eveyday hat to just take anywhere and everywhere I want, any time. I'm sure I will eventually add to the collection for certain types of occasions. The custom is many months in the future, if I continue to enjoy wearing my "starter" hat on a daily basis.

I suppose I'm looking for an everyday felt hat for now to carry me through the Winter and beyond, and maybe get a good straw hat before next Spring.

What size hat do you wear????

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ok. You are now narrowing it down. Forget straw cuz u want something you can wear now through the fall and winter into spring. You said forget Akubra so that is that. And no custom for now...
Keep it simple. Your looking for a versatile fur felt that's sturdy and comfortable that you can wear every day and isn't to dressy. Is that it? So what do you like? Village Hats has 2 stores in Cali. Are they near you? They have a decent selection, good prices and a nice website too. Or visit your local hat shops that you mentioned and look for a everyday fur felt thats not too dressy. Try on different hats. Hopefully they'll have somthin you like. If not maybe they can order you something that you do like.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko