Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings Loungers! - Need some help with my next Aero!

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
Greetings Chaps!…
After lurking around the lounge for so long I thought it was about time I signed in and make myself known.:cool:
I’ll start by thanking all those who have helped me with their knowledge & sense of style…Without it I probably wouldn’t be here now planning my third Aero leather jacket and facing up to emptying my wallet again! :rolleyes:
With the influences of the Fedora Lounge aficionados, I previously found myself purchasing an Aero Leather Ace Rocker in FQHH, and then last winter an Aero Long Half Belt in Cordovan heavy HH was added to my wardrobe as well. Both Jackets are much loved and worn heavily in the cooler months of the year.

Now I need some more of your guidance for my next jacket….either a ANJ-3 or an A-2, I’m still trying to decide which way to go. I’ve never owned either styles of jacket previously (closest being a Pike Bros B-10) so it’s been plenty of research on my part, however, I’m uncertain on what would really be the best fit on me. I’ve been in contact with Amanda & now Ken at Aero and they’ve been very helpful as usual trying provide as much assistance & samples for my decision process.

I’m a fairly big Chap who has spent too many hours lifting heavy iron in the gym, (6 foot 1 inch, 105 kilograms) so I’m a tad “top heavy”, you could say.
Both my other Aero’s are size 48, the LHB is comfortably snug, but the Ace Rocker is very room-y…and it appears to have almost “stretched” now that a lovely patina has developed.
Amanda has already told me the ANJ-3’s generally come out quite tight and may not work on me? What I’m looking for is a fit that’s comfortable around the chest/ upper back/shoulders and not having an excessive “blousy” lower-back, mid-riff area….I’m not sure which of the Aero A-2’s would be best for me in that respect either?

I’ve tried on some Eastman A-2’s & M422A’s recently for comparison and found I could squeeze into their size 46s, though too-tight around the upper-body(no 48’s to try!)

Any of the bigger guys out there with pics of your Aero A-2’s on? Or anyone with an Aero ANJ-3? Thoughts? Advice? Questions? …All appreciated!

Many Thanks!!
R’D

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Welcome Rockin' Dog!

I tried an ANJ-3 from the Sales section once and it was indeed trim, trimmer than many or their A2s (although similar to Aero's '38 model). I'd advise sizing up if its the model you want, it's not a very 'blousy' cut.

After years of Aero action i've worked out that i'm a 38" in a Highwayman, 40" in 30s Half-belt and 42" in the slimmer A2s (my chest size is 39 - 41 expanded)

thor

One Too Many
Aero will taper the jacket if your measurements call for it and you request it. Having a larger chest or wide shoulders and a somewhat smaller waist sometimes calls for a large size jacket to accommodate the upper body but with a slightly tapered waistband/side seams.

Tell Amanda at Aero your measurements and what fit you'd like and she should be able to advise you on a proper fitting jacket.

Good luck.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Yeah, what they said – pick the style you like best and get the measurements and relevant information about fit to them for best results. Aero are sensible and helpful.

Here's a couple Aero A-2 Broncos that I own. The seal is a 50, the russet, a 48 (not that tags matter, but the 50 is a tad larger).
The last I no longer own. The arm holes were too high and tight.

me1.jpg

ScottA2.png

aero-42-1.png

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
Many thanks for the advice, Jake, Thor, Cordwangler, Hyptul. ...And thanks ButteMT for displaying your A-2 pics. Both look very good on you, from the pic, I'm a tad surprised you had issues with the arm holes as it all looks fairly proportional there?
Ken at Aero tells me that the Bronco is the slimmest of their A-2's, however as I'm not exactly slim around the upper arm area...it may be wise for me to look further at some of the other "cuts"?

One of my contenders is the USAAF Type A-2 in Oil-Pull Horsehide ...I really like the sample of Oil-Pull leather that Amanda sent me, wonderful texture and I can see it's the kind of jacket that will look stunning when the patina sets in after a few years.
...However, As I already own two Aero HH jackets, I feel that I should maybe aim for this one to be in seal goatskin (which is another nice hide) as I want to give it some action in the temperate seasons with just a T-shirt or maybe light sweater underneath it.

@Hytul ...you suggested the 38-1711-P Type A-2 ...I've read on several occasions that its a jacket with very slim shoulders? ..is that your experience?

I'll continue bugging Ken & Amanda...they already have my measurements so hopefully we can come to a decision on.

Meanwhile any more A-2 & ANJ-3 pics welcome! :D

-R'D

hyptul

Familiar Face
Many thanks for the advice, Jake, Thor, Cordwangler, Hyptul. ...And thanks ButteMT for displaying your A-2 pics. Both look very good on you, from the pic, I'm a tad surprised you had issues with the arm holes as it all looks fairly proportional there?
It was one I bought from Aero - but not made for me. Hated to let it go.
Ken at Aero tells me that the Bronco is the slimmest of their A-2's, however as I'm not exactly slim around the upper arm area...it may be wise for me to look further at some of the other "cuts"?
All the early war contracts are more slim. You want to go with a later war contract if you're concerned about that. I have lost ~30+ pounds, but I remember the struggle prior to that getting a jacket that fit. -R'D

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
All the early war contracts are more slim. You want to go with a later war contract if you're concerned about that.

That was the general impression I got with the War Contracts. Whilst I admire & appreciate them greatly, I'm not to fussed if I decide to go down the route of Aero's own styles.
Their USAAF Type A-2 in Seal Goatskin looks quite appealing to me for example....is that your Seal A-2?
-R'D

Rockin' Dog

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner