Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson Rushden Collection

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I'm considering a pair of Grenson brogues:

'Archie'
1257793184-70476200.jpg

1257793184-89097200.jpg

1257793185-07349700.jpg

1257793185-67595900.jpg

'Stanley'
1257793132-56787600.jpg

1257793133-01623000.jpg

1257793133-57540300.jpg

Both models are quite chunky, the Archie a little more than the Stanley with the exaggerated perforations. I'm having a hard time deciding. These shoes probably will be worn with jeans and suitpants as well..

What do you think about these Grensons?

Thanks,
Diego

wintergreen

New in Town
I have several pairs of Grenson shoes from the Rose collection and have to say I am more than happy with them.
My experience of the Rushden collection has not been so favourable, I have tried ordering from the Rushden collection 3 times and each time I have returned them, I found the build quality to be far below the Rose collection and way below what other makers offer in the same price range.
Of course I may have been very unlucky and just happened to have got a bad bunch. I found welts were badly finished, stitching was all over the place - on one pair of shoes the tongue had been stitched to the side of the shoe by mistake.colour was also uneven, the whole "feel" of the shoes screamed cheap and poorly made.
I would seriously look around and find a shop which stocks the shoes you would like and examine them before making your decision.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I have several pairs of Grenson shoes from the Rose collection and have to say I am more than happy with them.
My experience of the Rushden collection has not been so favourable, I have tried ordering from the Rushden collection 3 times and each time I have returned them, I found the build quality to be far below the Rose collection and way below what other makers offer in the same price range.
Of course I may have been very unlucky and just happened to have got a bad bunch. I found welts were badly finished, stitching was all over the place - on one pair of shoes the tongue had been stitched to the side of the shoe by mistake.colour was also uneven, the whole "feel" of the shoes screamed cheap and poorly made.
I would seriously look around and find a shop which stocks the shoes you would like and examine them before making your decision.

now that is some useful info! thanks for the warning..

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I also have a pair from the Rushden collection. My cobbler told me they are made in India and of far inferior quality than the still UK made Rose collection. It seems like the original heel was part cardboard instead of leather and crumbled under the cobbler's hands. He had to replace the heels before I wore the shoes for the first time.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I also have a pair from the Rushden collection. My cobbler told me they are made in India and of far inferior quality than the still UK made Rose collection.

From my POV, the fact that the name of this collection references what was one of the UK's biggest boot and shoe manufacturing towns, Rushden, home to my father's side of the family, who were in the trade, is pretty sad. Believe me, I have absolutely no problems with goods made outside the UK (in fact, I have an Indian-made PA amp from the mid-1960s which still has the original valves in it, and sounds awesome!), but poorly-made items are a waste, no matter where they were originated.

As a child, I used to get taken to a huge, hangar-like Victorian building in Rushden, which I later found out was John White's factory shop, and it was floor-to-rafters packed with the most amazing footwear. Happy memories...

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I also have a pair from the Rushden collection. My cobbler told me they are made in India and of far inferior quality than the still UK made Rose collection. It seems like the original heel was part cardboard instead of leather and crumbled under the cobbler's hands. He had to replace the heels before I wore the shoes for the first time.

Now that's sad, I'm sorry to hear that...

I believe I've made up my mind and skip the Grensons Rushden series from the list..

Thanks a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana