Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey Fleck Suit

StanleyVanBuren

This just arrived. It needs alterations, so it's going to the tailor's tomorrow. It's just a tad big on me, but not so big it can't be made to fit great.

Here are photos before any tailoring is done:

(please excuse the 5:00 shadow)

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7660.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

This was the eBay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150152595986

I think I got a good deal. :D

Any guesses as to a more precise date?

StanleyVanBuren

Ah, so 50s or 60s according to the Union label, which doesn't really narrow it down beyond what I already knew. But the red text suggests earlier in the period, so maybe more likely to be late 50s/early 60s?

Also, apologies for the lack of pocket square in the photos. I like to take photos in my backyard as I find sunlight always brings out the look of the fabric better than a camera flash, but I was hasty and didn't remember till I had already gotten outside and I wasn't going to run back up two flights of stairs to get it. I won't forget it for the shots once the suit has been tailored.

One other thought I've had -- I really prefer side vents over center vents. I understand it's pretty easy to have a tailor alter this. Would it be ok to switch this suit to side vents or would that be sacrilege and ruin the overall style of this suit? Opinions welcome...

StanleyVanBuren

Sefton said:
Nice suit. Doesn't look like it needs too much alteration. Is that a band publicity shot with the jacket on the ebay page? Interesting way to get attention...

Gah, yeah, looks like it is. I thought it was super obnoxious too, but at that price... whatever.

Feraud

Bartender
StanleyVanBuren said:
Would it be ok to switch this suit to side vents or would that be sacrilege and ruin the overall style of this suit? Opinions welcome...
I would not make this switch to preserve the original lines of the suit but this is just my opinion.
You got that suit for an amazing price! :eusa_clap

Was that suit on eBay? I seem to remember it . . .

would it be possible to do a shot just like the one of you wearing the suit but with you wearing a fatter necktie? I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of the effect of changing the tie width.

I think in this case a fatter necktie would help the look considerably . . . to somewhat offset the long thin neck.

bk

dostacos

Practically Family
the suit looks good, and for that price:eusa_clap

taking in the jacket at the waist OR eat a box of Crispy Cremes daily for a month or two:rolleyes:

before and after shots would be great, try the same spot, distance, shirt & tie

The Wingnut

One Too Many
It looks great! Good choice on the sleeve length, and the simple one-fold squared off pocket square is dead on for that style of suit. Is that a knitted tie?

Looks very sharp.

StanleyVanBuren

Thanks, gents! I'm quite happy with this suit. Love the fabric, pattern, color, style, etc etc etc. Everything about this suit is great. Except since I like it so much I am going to be pretty particular about the fit so I think I'm going to have to take it back to my tailor for a little bit more. The waist still needs to be taken in a little bit more, in my opinion; both in the jacket and in the trousers. I'm also debating whether to trim the shoulders just a tad to get rid of extra material there. My tailor seems to think I need what's there now for movement purposes but I disagree. I have suits that fit much tighter that work just fine.

I've also run into another problem; most of my ties are too long! Even tied in a windsor knot, with the ends at equal lengths, the tie comes down just below the belt. My options are to leave the narrow end long & tuck it in or only wear the couple vintage ties I have with this suit. What an odd problem to have! Though I'll bet many on here are used to such things by now...

StanleyVanBuren

The Wingnut said:
It looks great! Good choice on the sleeve length, and the simple one-fold squared off pocket square is dead on for that style of suit. Is that a knitted tie?

Looks very sharp.

Thanks! Actually, I had a bit too much pocket square showing in the photos, which I fixed before heading off to the office.

And yes, that is one of the new silk knit ties offered by J. Crew. About $50.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
StanleyVanBuren said:
...I think I'm going to have to take it back to my tailor for a little bit more. The waist still needs to be taken in a little bit more, in my opinion; both in the jacket and in the trousers...

Cheaper to spend a few afternoons at In & Out. :)

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
StanleyVanBuren said:
Thanks! Actually, I had a bit too much pocket square showing in the photos, which I fixed before heading off to the office.

And yes, that is one of the new silk knit ties offered by J. Crew. About $50.

Check your local Ralph Lauren outlet. Since knit ties don't seem to be very popular here, I got two (one navy, one charcoal) knitted Black Label ties for $10 each, marked down from $100+. As a huge fan of the Bond novels and Connery Bond, they were must-buys the moment I saw them :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21