Grey trousers + brown shoes

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by jake_fink, May 16, 2006.

1. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

I have in my voluminous family fonds an image from, I believe, a 1930s Vogue or similar magazine. I don't have the picture in front of me and even if I did I have no way of scanning it. If I'm remembering correctly the pcture was of a man in an overplaid blazer that was light brown in colour, he wore this with light grey trousers and brown shoes. The blazer is a little foggy but the grey trousers with brown shoes are absolutely crystal clear in my mind's eye.

So, what's the story? What browns went with what greys in the 30s? I'm sure it was a light grey, perhaps lighter than Cambridge grey, and the brown was also light, warm, a little on the red side, though it was a sixty-plus year old magazine page when I last saw it so the colours may not be absolutely true.

The image below is one I just found, if it works, and though it is not exactly what I'm getting at, it is close. Note the shoes and trousers on the golfer on the left.

[​IMG]

2. Yes, grey trousers could be worn with brown shoes. If you wore dark grey (usually in flannel), cordovan (more red than brown, actually) would be your choice. Lighter grey flannels went with medium (milk chocolate) brown SUEDE shoes.

3. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

Thanks Marc,

I knew you'd know. :eusa_clap Why didn't I just PM? [huh]

Now, can an absinthe frappe be drunk from a brown shoe, or are they strictly for slightly iced velvet slipper-sipping?

4. Only if the slipper has a reservoir.

5. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Old issues of Esquire have made me want some rough-out chukkas. I had always thought of them as kind of seedy. But when paired with the right pants = really nice. Chocolate or lighter redding brown with crepe soles.
    Now I'm put off by the prices. Even at Land's End they're 200 clams.

Why?

6. matei

matei Practically Family

I used to wear my grey suit with brown shoes, and a brown hat. I rather liked that combination.

7. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

what are rough-out chukkas ?

8. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

i think your classic reddish-brown/terracotta brogue goes with virtually anything. i must say i'm surprised at the amount of worry about shoe and trouser colour combination. it has to REALLY clash to look bad. or maybe i'm too relaxed about it.

9. scotrace

See the guy in the right hand illustration above, on the right side of the picture in breeches? Those. Suede low boots, basically.

10. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

I'd say you're right. If you wear it with confidence that will also help when "breaking" those pesky fashion rules. Today I was looking at a book of photographs from Paris in the 1930s and there was one fellow in a pin-stripe DB jacket and a horizontal striped collar-less shirt and Gatsby cap. I thought he looked great despite the jacket stripes going one direction and the shirts going another. I'm going to try this and see if I can pull it off (rules be damned!;) )

11. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

Only one of these looks is "yummy".

12. jml90

jml90 One of the Regulars

I typically prefer brown shoes with any color

13. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Why, you ask?

Obviously it's because of the fact that they are made from cows. Cows are extremely vicious, thoroughly dangerous wild beasts that do not willingly part with their skins.

14. scotrace

Bwuahahahahaha!!!

:)

I'm hearing this in Marlin Perkins' voice!

15. The Reno Kid

The Reno Kid A-List Customer

I think it's a great look.

Brown shoes look great with grey, especially light grey. Back in the golden age, the brown fedora was pretty standard with just about any color clothes. That's not to say that hats didn't come in other colors, but brown fedoras went with anything. Personally, I thing brown shoes can add a very nice warmth to a grey (or blue) suit, at least in some cases.

16. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think grey pants look great with burgundy/ brown shoes. It's a look I've sported forever, and I'm not even sure it's "correct"!

17. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

"Stalking the wily and pugnacious North American cow is no business for anyone that does not have the security of coverage from Mutual of Omaha Insurance.",.......

18. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

MC, I dig brown suede shoes with all shades of grey flannel.

[​IMG]

19. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

They work superbly. Brown and grey are a great combo... it on;y gets awkward when it's brown and black... it's funeral versus campus in that combo.

Navy and brown and grey and brown work!

20. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Matt, I love to mix brown and black in flannel and suede. Mind you, the shades have to be just right but when done properly, it's sublime.

Edit:In retrospect, it occurs to me that your reference to black/brown manifests from other fora.