Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grosgrain Ribbon on Straw Hat

rgrice

New in Town
Help! Easiest ways for novice to apply? Sewing, hot glue, Elmer's, fabric glue, etc.? I have a vintage Dobbs without ribbon that I need for gigs starting tomorrow!

AndyR

One of the Regulars
My Panama hat ribbon was attached with hot melt glue, but in another thread, someone posted the idea of using double sided sticky tape. Can't remember who, but it was a good idea.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Sewing is usually the least damaging of methods. I'm sure there are videos on it

Interesting. Thanks Art. Honestly, I never really loved the fact that mine was put together with hot melt glue. It kind of takes away from the 'romance' of the hat making process. :)

EstherWeis

Vendor
Thanks, everyone. How do you keep the top of the ribbon flush with the hat?

How does one swirl the ribbon?

Swirling means ironing your ribbon round. This way the bottom of your ribbon is flush with the bottom and flush with the top.
You iron it round by slightly pulling it round while ironing.
Be careful to not iron any pleats and to use a cotton or cotton blend.
Synthetic won't swirl.

Swirling means ironing your ribbon round. This way the bottom of your ribbon is flush with the bottom and flush with the top.
You iron it round by slightly pulling it round while ironing.
Be careful to not iron any pleats and to use a cotton or cotton blend.
Synthetic won't swirl.

It takes a bit of practice, IMHO. My first few were only slightly swirled. Once I got the hang of it, though...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Help! Easiest ways for novice to apply? Sewing, hot glue, Elmer's, fabric glue, etc.? I have a vintage Dobbs without ribbon that I need for gigs starting tomorrow!
If you have another hat that you can wear to your gig I'd do that. Sewing on a new ribbon and bow is going to take some time to learn with trial and error to get pretty at fair it, especially if you plan to sew one on a vintage straw. Definitely no glue.

rgrice

New in Town
Thanks! I made a decent bow but it wasn't great and took almost 3 hours! I have tons of hats and wore a different one last night!

rgrice

New in Town
If you have another hat that you can wear to your gig I'd do that. Sewing on a new ribbon and bow is going to take some time to learn with trial and error to get pretty at fair it, especially if you plan to sew one on a vintage straw. Definitely no glue.

Gonna take it to nearest hatter in Charlotte, NC. I've had enough! Love the Reagan quotes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points