Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Growing a beard just to wear a fedora

Orangegrad

Practically Family
As I was considering buying a hat with a tall, straight crown (I ended up with this OR pictured below), some Loungers suggested I grow my beard as a way of filling out my (narrow and long) face. I hadn't grown a beard in many years, and was a bit dismayed by all the white/gray that has taken over. I've kept the beard for around two months now, and do agree that it fills out my face a bit. I'll probably shave it off when spring arrives.

Anyone else grow a beard just to wear larger hats?

Andy with beard
DSCN1152-1-1.jpg

Andy without
panamastraw-1.jpg

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You know you CAN edit thread titles. That would kinds spoil the fun, tho, wouldn't it?
But referring to the chin whiskers, no I haven't. But I sometimes think I'd like to regrow my William Powell mustache. Sadly, she who must be obeyed likes me better without. [huh]

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Hah! Along with a gray beard has come an inability to catch typos. Last night I repeatedly mistyped a colleague's name in a series of emails. Life.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
The last time I attempted to grow a beard I was 23 years old.My roomate and I, who both worked at the same place, decided we needed beards.About 3 weeks into the project and we looked rediculous. Our boss called us into his office,sat us down, looked us straight in the eye and asked "How long is this going to go on?"
We both went home that evening and shaved. I haven't tried since.My wife threatens to leave after 2 days of whiskers.
You look fine either way Andy.

Edward

Bartender
Attempted fscial hair when I was nineteen, long before I got into wearing hats all the time. Never going there again.

Cicero

A-List Customer
You looks good with a beard.
The only reason i have a beard is because i'm too lazy to shave my face every day!
I always look good with a fedora, with or without facial hear lol. ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I'm usually not a big fan of beards together with hats except when it comes to pencil moustaches. But I must admit that yours suits you very well. I think you look much better with beard than without. I say keep it!

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
I have been on vacation for 2 weeks and haven't shaved except for a bit of a trim. My job forbids it so off it goes. Mine's mostly grey these days. Not everyone looks good with facial hair but I have to say, Andy you look much better with the beard.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I had a mustache for years until the grey hairs came in then it had to go.:) When I shaved it off my daughter who was 23 at the time had never seen me without it. It was a shock to her. I am changing the glasses I wear because of my hat thou. Going with the Tart Arnel look.:)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Andy-- looks fine both ways to me.
I have the opposite problem-- I grow a beard to hide (or add more length to) my round face. Longer on the chin especially.
On a related note, I only wear stingy brims when my hair is short. I wonder if I'd still enjoy the wider brims. Of course with my relatively small stature, even a 2 1/4" can look wide on me, at least by my own perception.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Andy-- looks fine both ways to me.
I have the opposite problem-- I grow a beard to hide (or add more length to) my round face. Longer on the chin especially.
On a related note, I only wear stingy brims when my hair is short. I wonder if I'd still enjoy the wider brims. Of course with my relatively small stature, even a 2 1/4" can look wide on me, at least by my own perception.

I'm only 5' 6". This OR brim is the widest I own so far. I'm getting comfortable with it. Even beginning to enjoy the taller crown and thin ribbon.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
No, I didn't grow my first beard, ca. 1976, just to wear a fedora. I'd seen my man Robert Vaughn in a British SF film called "The Mind of Mr. Soames," in which he wore a beard, and I said to myself, "Self, you gotta try that." I wore it until '78, when I had to go back to a mustache only for work. Regrew it in 1988, and have been furry-faced ever since. While I've considered going back to a goatee for summer, I've never thought I should shave it completely.

Keep it; you look distinguished.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points