Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guarded Goods - Handcrafted, hand stitched leather goods

Deusis

Vendor
Hello everyone!

My name is Jesse and I am the one man operation behind Guarded Goods. I started this business over a year and a half ago. I spent a few weeks trying to think of a good name as I wanted it to have personal meaning to me as well as having some relevance to the consumer and what I sold. My last name is Swiss French in origin and means “someone who held or guarded a common good”.

Guarded Goods is a made-to-order business that is primarily focused on delivering high quality and well constructed leather wallets, accessories, and belts.

There are a few reasons why I decided to get into leatherworking. Previously, most of my skills or hobbies revolved around a computer. Don’t get me wrong… gaming and graphic design are fun and a good way to kill time, but I was looking for something a little more tangible. Many of my friends had hobbies such as rock climbing or woodworking that they were really passionate about and enjoyed talking to others about. I felt the need to pick up a hobby or skill where I would actually use my hands and produce something substantial and real. The second reason was that I actually wanted a new wallet and figured I could invest in a few tools and leather for the same price for the wallet I wanted.

My initial intention was just to make myself a wallet but after seeing the initial finished wallet, I wasn't satisfied with my finished product so I kept practicing. Eventually, I figured I could actually turn it into a side business. I had no expectations when I opened my Etsy shop. Whether it was going to be selling one wallet a month or one a day, I had no idea. Since I opened my Etsy shop and website, I’ve had over 1,300 orders which is pretty crazy.

The idea that people in over 25 countries around the world have ordered wallets from me is an absolutely unreal thought to me. It is kind of cool to think that people can and will be using my wallets for years to come from all over the world.

My business plan has always been to provide quality handcrafted leather goods at a reasonable price that I would feel comfortable paying for if I was a consumer.

The quality part is essential when comparing my wallets to most wallets you could purchase from a store. I won’t pretend you couldn't buy a wallet from any department store for $20 and it wouldn't last for a few years, but you do so with the understanding that it was likely made in another country and is made as cheaply as possible.

It is made with “leather” and stitched with a machine which will not stand up to the same stress and wear that a handcrafted product will. The current trend seems to be to buy cheap and to buy often. I would challenge that thinking and ask people if they would rather spend a little more money to receive a product that will last them significantly longer made from American materials all while supporting a small business owner.

When speaking about your brand it is important to be honest. It would be pretty easy for me to say that my products are significantly better than other leatherworkers who follow the same type of aesthetic and practice (handmade and hand stitched from start to finish), though I feel that would be disingenuous. There are many leatherworkers out there who have absolutely insane products who I have the utmost respect for.

To be completely honest, my products are no better than theirs. I don’t consider anyone who makes handcrafted leather products competition. I see it more as a community of people who strive to make each other better by getting continually upping their game. Some of these guys have been around for many years and it definitely shows. They continue to be great inspiration for me.

Materials are a very important part of any craft. I source my materials from American companies whenever possible. Almost all of my leather comes from two American tanneries who have been around for a combined 256 years (Horween and Wickett & Craig). You aren't in business for 100+ years if you have sub par products. I have several sources for the waxed thread I use but the one I use most often is from a Danish company that has been around for 119 years.

I utilize a lot of Horween Chromexcel (both cowhide and horsehide), Horween Shell Cordovan, Japanese Shinki Hikaku Shell Cordovan, UK Clayton & Sons Shell Cordovan, UK Bridle, and Wickett & Craig Harness. They're all fantastic leathers. I probably have over 25 different leather options that I currently use and love.

If you have any questions about my products, process, or materials - please don't hesitate to ask me! I love chatting with people about my craft.

Check out my official website here or my Etsy shop here.

Please also feel free to use the coupon code "FEDORA10" to take 10% off any order from either website.

NHl82QA.jpg

Last edited:

Deusis

Vendor
I just wanted to share a picture of some beautiful Cognac Gold American Alligator I wanted to get in. I figured some people here could appreciate it.

1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk