Guiterman Bros. Leather Jackets - 1910s and 1920s

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Dinerman, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Following the references to leather jackets in a hunting context found in the 1920s ads in this thread, I found the jackets made by Guiterman Bros. in the 1910s.

Looking at the knit cuffs and collar, as well as the fit and cut, you can really see why comparisons were drawn at this time between jackets like this and sweaters of the time.

These jackets had a cloth body, lined with leather (as opposed to the other way around). The ads describe the jackets as having action backs, though they are not pictured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. Dinerman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dinerman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dinerman

Guiterman Brothers was founded in 1883 and incorporated in 1904. They began using the Summit "Town & Country" name in 1904. In the early 1910s, Guiterman Brothers pioneered the attached soft collared shirt. They also called it the Summit. The company had a plant at 352 Silbey Street, St. Paul, MN, which still stands. They enjoyed prosperity during the 1910s, riding the Mackinaw boom of 1915. They were supposedly the first company to coin the name "windbreaker". As shown above, their "Town and Country" Coats and vests shared the distinctive double snap Knit-Nek. During WWI, Guiterman Bros. produced flying coats for US aviators. In 1928-1929, the company was purchased by Gordon and Ferguson.

[​IMG]

5. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

Very cool. I love how 'automobiling' is right up there with other fun things to do outdoors

6. Dinerman

Here are some shots out of a catalog of theirs from 1915, showing prices and specs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dinerman

Here is one of their products in the flesh. I just got this M1206 (see catalog above) from the 1910s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  8. Dinerman

More of the vest
    [​IMG]

1928. Coat style leather blouse. One of the first uses of the term "windbreaker".
    [​IMG]

1928. Cashing in on the Lindbergh craze.
    [​IMG]

9. sw709

sw709 Familiar Face

Just some absolutely fantastic research here! And the styles....good lord! If only someone would start to reintroduce some of these garments. The only people I've seen doing anything like this recently is Freewheelers in Japan.

Thanks Dinerman.