Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Control NOW

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't mean take all our guns away! I mean DO NOT LEAVE GUNS ACCESSABLE TO CHILDREN! Why did this happen? What IDOT left a weapon unsecured, not in a safe! I hope the DA files charges against the parents of this kid for allowing and contributing to this trajedy.:rage:

Posted on Sat, Dec. 10, 2005

Shot fired by 11-year-old kills neighbor, officers say

Associated Press

SACRAMENTO - A 52-year-old man who stayed home from work because he was ill was accidentally shot and killed by an 11-year-old neighbor who wanted to hear the "loud bang" of a rifle, sheriff's officers said.

Sgt. R.L. Davis said the girl, who was not identified, took the rifle outside her home Thursday around noon and fired it.

The bullet traveled through a fence and into the bedroom where Nghiem Ky Tahi was sleeping, killing him instantly. His wife found him when she returned from work that evening.

Davis said it does not appear that the killing was intentional.

He said the sheriff's department was investigating the shooting and would forward its findings to the district attorney's office.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm pleased that both my daughters (16 and 17) have taken a firearms safety course and gone hunting. I think kids are better off understanding enough about firearms to know how to handle them safely - and get out of the area when someone is NOT handling them safely.

I believe the greatest risk related to firearms is not their illegal use, but stupid and incompetent handling by people who own or posess them.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You are right sir!

I agree Pilgrim...take the kid to the field or range and show them that a gun is NOT like on TV. They KILL (well, really just with accuracy launch a projectile towards a target and cut or blow a hole it whatever it hits). Really, people kill. Guns just facilitate it. Or make it easier.

So, take your kid to a Hunter Safety Course, and learn. Then the mystery is gone and the kids won't have the burning desire to sneak into daddy's gun closet and get into trouble.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
Another case for the Gun Control Advocates to use against the Second Amendment.....I hate hearing these one persons stupidity will make it harder for responsible gun owners

Vanessa

One Too Many
One of the first things I learned from my dad was a respectful appreciation for guns and the proper way to handle & care for them. My brother & I both took safety classes, went to the range & obtained our FOID cards before we were 16. I think the easiest way for them to be misused is for parents to not educate their children in firearms and their possibly destructive power.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Agreed! Also, it was very irresponsible of them to leave a bullet in the chamber ready to fire with no safety on! How much more negligent can you be?

That is a sad story indeed! I feel so bad for the wife for when she comes home looking to see her husband to find him dead! Horrible! I can't imagine how that must have felt!

=WR=

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everyone in my family can handle firearms. Both daughters, their friends and I go to the indoor pistol range and have fun. A kid 11 like the story mentions is old enough to have been taught firearms safety. It's probable that the kid got an unloaded weapon and loaded it and that it wasn't laying around in an unsafe manner. I don't keep my rifles loaded since they are not intended for self defense but keep pistols loaded since they are of no defensive use if they're not. My kids learned about them young and never showed any interest at all till they were grown. But personalities are different and boys are especially more probable to be tempted to fool around than young women are even if they have been taught firearm safety. He could have just being a jerk kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider