Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus Miller of Batsakes panamas

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
We went to meet Gus a few weeks ago. He was a great man. People would walk in and he'd remember them from years ago. He blocked 7 hats for me that day and here are some photos.
GusCuenca2.JPG

GusCuenca3.JPG

GusCuenca4.JPG

GusEnglishOptimo2.JPG

GusEnglishOptimo3.JPG

GusOptimo.JPG

GusSignature.JPG

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Varietas delectat

That Optimo with thin ribbon is really Great!!!

Mr. Batsakes: Bob, I will remember that name.;)
Wonder what are the dozens of other fedora styles this gentleman blocks?

PanamaBob, great concept too! Gallery working with various artists: Montecristi and Cuenca weavers&finishers and master blockers from Ecuador and the USA. No jury: you give the chance and platform for all artists (fresh talents too, like that 15 years old weaver boy from Pampas) and let the market demand decide.
And all your hats find their owners, due to your sane pricing.

Whoever needs whatever grade of Panamas, will find them with PHM!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards:

Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Robert,

Those hats turned out great! Wish I'd known you'd be there; I'd have cruised over to Cincinnati to meet you. It would have been a treat to watch Gus at work. I live a couple of hours from there. I've got two of Gus's hats; one I bought at his shop and one I bought on ebay. I didn't know as much about hats when I was at his shop early this year as I do now (of course, that's relative!;) )

One thing that I've been thinking about more and more lately is that I wish we were in a better position financially (or that I had known a year+ ago that I'd get this interested in hats.) If we were, I'd be very strongly tempted to go see Gus and see if I could talk him into an apprenticeship. This is his shop's 100th year. As far as I know he doesn't have anyone who'll carry on after he decides to hang up his hat, and I think that's rather sad. I'd hate to see Batsakes close.

In the meantime, I'm going to turn my hand to working on restoring a few hats I've picked up along the way for that purpose. I want to learn more about hats, and to see just how much I enjoy working with them. I do know that I've gotten a kick out of getting hats for relatives and seeing how they look in them!

Ah, well... for now it's a nice thing to daydream about...

Regards,
Tom

HungaryTom

One Too Many
If we were, I'd be very strongly tempted to go see Gus and see if I could talk him into an apprenticeship. This is his shop's 100th year. As far as I know he doesn't have anyone who'll carry on after he decides to hang up his hat, and I think that's rather sad. I'd hate to see Batsakes close.

Actually that would be VERY sad to see artisanship knowledge and tradition going lost another time. Either US hatters or aficionados or Ecuadorian hatters should be trained by this gentleman - I wrote the same thoughts in general already somewhere else.
Mr. Batsakes will have the competitive edge of his 50-60 years of practice of his know-how over his pupils but at least all the stuff he knows wouldn't be lost once he retires.
I know training an apprentice is tiring while doing the job, thus it is a sacrifice but it is worth. Mr.Batsakes was given namely the same sacrifice 50+ years ago by his relatives.

Regards:

Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
Actually that would be VERY sad to see artisanship knowledge and tradition going lost another time. Either US hatters or aficionados or Ecuadorian hatters should be trained by this gentleman - I wrote the same thoughts in general already somewhere else.
Mr. Batsakes will have the competitive edge of his 50-60 years of practice of his know-how over his pupils but at least all the stuff he knows wouldn't be lost once he retires.
I know training an apprentice is tiring while doing the job, thus it is a sacrifice but it is worth. Mr.Batsakes was given namely the same sacrifice 50+ years ago by his relatives.

Regards:

Tom

Tom,

You're absolutely right, of course. Unfortunately there have to be pupils who want to learn the craft, and there aren't any. Well, maybe a couple here on the Lounge. :)

Just a minor name correction--Gus Miller is the owner/hatter of Batsakes Hat Shop. His uncle, who left him the shop, was Pete Batsakes. Actually, Gus Miller isn't his original name, either. His name is a long and, to American tongues, rather unpronounceable Greek name. He changed it to make things simpler.

Here are a few articles about him:

http://www.hatlife.com/newsletters/2007/jan07_2/art2.htm

http://www.cincypost.com/living/1999/hats011999.html

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/01/12/batsakes01-12-2004.html

Do a search for Batsakes here on the Lounge and you'll find other threads about him.

Still, I wonder if asking about an apprenticeship is worth a shot... though I suppose doing so would make the time and money spent last year on Microsoft certifications a waste.

Cheers,
Tom

mingoslim

Practically Family
We should plan a Field Trip . . .

Tango Yankee said:
Wish I'd known you'd be there; I'd have cruised over to Cincinnati to meet you. It would have been a treat to watch Gus at work. I live a couple of hours from there.

Invite all Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky FL members to come to Cincinnati for a day . . . Go to Batsakes (bring some plastic, cause you know there are going to be hats bought, and orders placed) . . . Then maybe do a late lunch at some fancy place on the square . . . or if we spend too much money on hats, we can always carpool over to Camp Washington Chili for some of Cincinnati's signature cuisine . . . Good to eat, and cheap.;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
mingoslim said:
Invite all Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky FL members to come to Cincinnati for a day . . . Go to Batsakes (bring some plastic, cause you know there are going to be hats bought, and orders placed) . . . Then maybe do a late lunch at some fancy place on the square . . . or if we spend too much money on hats, we can always carpool over to Camp Washington Chili for some of Cincinnati's signature cuisine . . . Good to eat, and cheap.;)

Sounds good to me! Maybe I'll talk to Gus about that apprenticeship. ;)

I swear, if I get told one more time I'm overqualified for the job I'm interviewing for, I'm gonna do it! (Well, maybe... )

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points