Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin to make jackets?

No judgements, just the messenger here.

Screen Shot 1.png

I've totally turned off of Gustin.
Ever since my wife told me that my jeans look like "women's". I realize that while I love the selections of fabrics, their cuts are off for me.

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Personally, Gustin was dead to me once they started ripping off Filson designs and Common Projects. Also the stuff I DID buy from them, was horrible quality

pawineguy

One Too Many
I'm not loving the color. The design I understand from a denim company, you really can't go full motorcycle jacket. If they just used a normal seal color, with a hot price I bet they sell a ton of them, just like Taylor Stitch did. (although I liked TS's much better) It'll be interesting to see if they either announce a partner or give a hint as to where they are made. (Golden Bear)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I love (almost) all the Gustins that I have already, I was just looking at my Okays today and thinking how good they were looking and the fit looks fine on me - it's not massively distinctive a la SJC, but for the money they're good. It's all the other stuff that's just been so very 'blah' for me, kind of high end Gap (if there is such a thing). They may do okay with the jacket, though I certainly won't be buying one - god knows what they've done to that tan Horween, but they shouldn't repeat it. But when they announced Gustin underwear earlier this week, this little incident came to mind:

fonzsharkjump-300x300.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed. Once I found the right size for me in the straight style I've gotten a few more pairs and really like them. Just about all of their other stuff seems to be done ina kind of, well, "blah" style would describe it. I wish they'd do something with the shirt style and fit.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I dig these guys. Own several pairs of jeans, all slim fit, and they're top quality. I'm wearing their trucker jacket as I type this. It's on par with Filson's for half the shekels — capitalism at it's finest!

The jacket shown above? Meh...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No judgements, just the messenger here.

View attachment 42633

I don't think I know gustin jeans but I'm not a denim man. That jacket looks like my first ever leather jacket from 1984, I think it was. A local guy tried to make an Indy Jones style jacket and produced something like this is a soft and fragile lamb. In those days we really dug the strange mottled look of pre-distressed clothes.

technovox

One Too Many
Yep. I was over at Gustin about a month ago and they had a sample leather jacket hanging on the wall, in what appeared to be a Horween dark seal. Sadly, it had too much of that "mall jacket" look going on. I suggested that they might want to check out FDL. I was hoping they might get a sense of what collectors and aficionados look for in a quality leather jacket. Oh well...

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Personally, Gustin was dead to me once they started ripping off Filson designs and Common Projects. Also the stuff I DID buy from them, was horrible quality

Yes, I must admit that, especially the bags was somewhat off-putting. Its as if its okay to make 'fake' filson gear because its not a Chinese fake but a made in the USA one. Doesn't seem right to me but hey. But as people have said before, its not a fashion brand its a clothing business.

I have a pair of their jeans and I really like them, the cut works well for me. I've tried the Chinos and I wasn't impressed for the cost, similarly a jacket.

Given I only read of people with quality issues recently I probably wouldn't buy from them again, I think there are better options out there for pretty much everything they sell at a relatively similar price point.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They're obviously up for the jacket, as they've been posting pics on Twitter and asking people what they think. As per, people have been tripping over themselves a la

upload_2016-1-22_22-58-44.jpeg

I may have offered a slightly more... tart opinion *cough*. I don't think they were too impressed, but, y'know, speak truth to power etc.

AdeeC

Practically Family
That kind of over distressed leather is about as appealing to look at as having a nice juicy steak on my plate, giving it a thorough chew then putting it back on the plate again to admire.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep. I was over at Gustin about a month ago and they had a sample leather jacket hanging on the wall, in what appeared to be a Horween dark seal. Sadly, it had too much of that "mall jacket" look going on. I suggested that they might want to check out FDL. I was hoping they might get a sense of what collectors and aficionados look for in a quality leather jacket. Oh well...
I think that sums it up pretty well. It's always depressing to see any organization, from clothing companies to colleges to FM radio stations, opt for mediocrity, but they usually do. In Gustin's case it's just more obvious because of the crowd-sourced nature of their business. When you think about it, out of 100 people how many might have an interesting sense of style?

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Just got an email from Gustin. The jackets are being released March 7. Looks like they will be offered in a variety of leathers and colors. Looks like mostly (all?) Horween hides. Maybe someone better at uploading pictures than me can throw up a few up from the teaser email?

Not sure how I feel about the jackets. I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana