Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Color...

The Shirt

Practically Family
Bella -
I've had grey for a while. But I did try adding a good deal of blonde highlights for a time. I loved the look for the first 6 months or so. It totally blended outthe grey and was a fun look for a while. However after the grey started to settle in with the blond - my hair started to look really dull and blecky. I think it might be that I wasn't still coloring my dark brown hair underneath anymore and it became kind of dishwater brown. So then I went red and to be honest it was a great red because it had all the highlights built right in.

At this point I have racing stripes on the sides. I will eventually go grey but I'm going to fight it until I'm 45.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
My mom was a red hed when she was younger ( there is nothing stranger, or more exotic than a black woman with a red fro) and it grew darker to a deep brown. LD

You your bada**ness is hereditary apparently? :D

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Ha! This thread is so all about my hair! :) I started going gray when I was 21.. I always had dark brown hair with reddish highlights.. For awhile I was an auburn color but 2 out of 3 times when my hair was colored the roots would end up pink and my hair colorist would have to fix it. Also - if I didn't get my roots touched up every 4 weeks as the gray hair grew in my red/brown hair would look like it was levitating right above my scalp. It was quite the look. So I started slowly going blonde and have been blonde now for about the last 3 years. I am Italian.. dark eyes.. olive skin.. I always thought blonde hair would make me look like a cartoon character - but now I am used to it and people say they can't imagine me now with dark hair. It is much easier to maintain.. that's for sure. I am about 90% gray now and as the roots grow out - the gray/white natural color blends more easily with the blonde color. So now I can go about 6 to 7 weeks between coloring.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
She resurfaces!

ShortClara said:
You your bada**ness is hereditary apparently? :D

Where've you been Short Clara?

Back on topic...

I am a dark brown, going gray (cue song, "Cause I'm Blue Going Gray Over You"), and as it is pretty much all-over, it looks like MOUSE from a distance! Not acceptable! At this point it is about 50/50.

So I dye my hair except for the temples and the crown, with a temporary dye. As it washes out over 6 weeks, it doesn't leave a bold line where the roots show. I am getting a bit of dark buildup at the ends, but now I am not putting dye there, so it should fade out a bit.

Once it gets to about 75% gray, I will let it alone.

I don't find that it really makes me older looking to have my stripes of gray hair - no one seems to have the same idea of my age anyway! I get carded for alcohol and called "ma'am" in the same day...

I don't think one has to go a completely different color to hide the gray, but if you've always looked for an excuse to go blonde, what the heck! Personally, I know my husband would hate me as a blonde, and I look awful thatway anyway...

Try on wigs before leaping into a new hair color.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Where've you been Short Clara?

I moved! We are still unpacking, but it's finally, mostly done! Also trying to write more, and post less on the interwebs, ya know. But I lurk. I LURK!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy