Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Despair- advice sought... pretty please..?

jazthejitterbug

New in Town
Hello ladies:

I'm a bit of a lurker, and am hoping that some of you ladies might be able to help...

I have fine, wavy hair, currently a couple of inches past my shoulders. I've never been brilliant at styling my hair (I can make a decent go of it if going to a special event, but most days I put it up in a bandanna or braids across the crown, vintage style). I have noticed that since having my daughter nearly two years ago, it has got even frizzier, and now there are some dreaded white hairs sneaking in, so no matter what I do, I seem to end up with a scruffy halo of frizz with wiry bits sticking out.

I've tried conditioning with self-heating coconut oil before washing, I always condition, I don't often use a hair dryer, and I use Mythic Hair oil too... but nothing seems to get it to lie down, let along look sleek.

It has been long for a few years now, and I'm reluctant to cut it 'short' short as I do like the option of doing pin curls etc- especially as I invested in one of those special pin curl tools recently!

So: have any of you got any suggestions? I'll be buying some henna/indigo soon as with the right preparation I understand it will cover the grey and may thicken the appearance of the hair a little, so the colour isn't the issue- it's the cut/style.

Era: I tend towards the 40s, with forays into the 50s occasionally. My hair is thicker at the back. Roundish face... will try to post a pic to profile.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice: I shall be eternally grateful.

jazthejitterbug

New in Town
Dash it. Can't work out a way of putting an image up on my profile. Will try to attach it here.... <nervous>.

Bah. Can't seem to do that either. Imagine Cindi Lauper's scruffy younger sister with chestnut brown hair and a careworn expression, I guess? :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have extremely thick, coarse, dry hair that is color-treated, highlighted, and heat-styled. :laugh: You can imagine what I deal with!

I start with a good shampoo & conditioner, but the only thing that really keeps my hair under control is a good silicone-based smoothing serum. I know lots of ladies avoid silicone, but my hair adores it. My current favorite is Biolage Deep Smoothing Serum, just 2 pumps will keep my hair sleek & frizz-free for multiple days. My second favorite is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny. I wear my hair straightened on a daily basis, but these should work fine for curly styles as well.

I also had good luck with MoroccanOil and the Sally Beauty brand knockoff (One 'n Only), but I found that over time it began to weigh my hair down and was tough to wash out.

You might also look into having a half inch or so taken off, just enough to trim off any split ends, which may help with the frizz. Avoid having your hair thinned.

Last edited:

jazthejitterbug

New in Town
Thankyou fortworthgal! Your hair looks very glam in your profile pic, so you obviously know what you're doing. :)
I'm so jealous of people with thick, strong hair. And of people who seem to be gifted with the ability to do their hair properly and end up looking groomed... sigh.

Anyway, I may have a wee look at the Sally's brand oil... but have to say, I've used serums before, and they just seem to do nothing... until all of a sudden my hair rolls over and plays dead. Not in a good way. Also tried macadamia oil and one or two others... ah, well.

Tried a trim about 3 weeks ago, but it didn't do a whole lot- so maybe it's time to accept that my hair's not suited to be any longer than 5" or so. Anyway, I may go nuts and treat myself to a visit to the proper vintage hairdresser in town, and throw myself on her mercy.

Thanks again, fortworthgal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ