Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair do help please!

Naama

Practically Family
hello!

so far I'm doing pretty good with 30's to early 40's hairdos! I pretty much master everything ;) after doing it day for day for almost 5 years! But these days I feel more 60ish as I got a lot of clothes from my grand aunt.

rmonroe.jpg

I would really like to get something like that (probably more late 50s but yes...), but I just cant seem to get it right [huh] Its always too flat and don't know... just doesnt look right. Could it be that I would need to use rollers for hair like that? I always do pin curls, as I cant seem to sleep in anything else (not even the foam rollers). Or is it all about the teasing? but I cant seem to get it in the right form when I teas it.... :/ Any ideas?

Naama

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
It would be easier to get this style with rollers. as they would help get the lift that you need, plus it would be easier to direct the hair back. The teasing is also important. Once you start teasing, it's almost like sculpting. Tease all the hair up (you should look like you stuck your finger in the electric socket), then you brush the top layer so that it looks smooth.

Elaina

One Too Many
Teasing is key on that look, yes. Rollers are almost necessary as well, since the ones at the top of the head give it the height needed, and a looser curl.

This is a basic 60s set, although this style requires a little bit of work above the directions there. You want it to be a ruffle with teasing at the crown and some sculpting of the bangs (same set, same style, just a lot of teasing.)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The ladies are right. That photo was taken in 1962 on the set of Something's Got to Give.
By this time, Marilyn's hair was so fried from bleach that she could make it do anything she wanted - but some medium sized rollers, a teasing brush, and plenty of hairspray should do the trick! :)

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Hi there-

My stylist just did a version for this me last time I was there!

She used 1 inch plastic rollers on wet hair sprayed with a spray gel and then put me under the dryer for about 20 minutes.

She then brushed out and fixed into place with lots of hair spray.

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
I know that it looks different, but the 'do that Sandra Dee is sporting in the photo at the bottom of this page has a setting diagram that may prove useful. Other than that, I would just echo the advice of rollers and teasing. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points