Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Goop

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are correct...your hair will stay slick, and the stuff NEVER flakes. You won't feel that you need to wash it.
As far as smell, Sweet Georgia Brown has the BEST smell, but for Murray's-like consistency, you'd need it in the blue can, which has been discontinued.
flat-top

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
If using Murrays, and you brush your hair frequently, doesn't the wax build up on the brush? It seems as if this would ruin a good brush.

Chad

flat-top

Yes.........the wax will ABSOLUTELY build up on your brushes and combs. I use an all plastic brush from a dollar store! I boil some water and dip the brush in about once every couple of weeks to clean it off. Same with my combs. Don't ruin a good brush!
flat-top

FredDairy

Familiar Face
flat-top said:
Well, you can't "wash" your hair.you can certainly wet it, but if you use regular shampoo, you will most likely create just a ton of build-up. Fix your hair with Murray's or another wax, and go out in the rain......the rain will just bead right off of your head!
I know what I'm talking about, since I've been using the stuff for over 10 years.Although recently, I shaved my head, and it's first time in a decade that my hair has been clean!
While at Viva Las Vegas last weekend, I did pick up a pomade called Layrite (www.layrite.com), that's supposed to "work like a wax, and wash out like a gel". Now I did try it, and it DID wash right out, but my hair is not long enough to truly know if it will hold like a wax or not. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks.
flat-top

My barber stocks Layrite, I didn't like it, but it sure as hell holds like Murrays. but like all water soluable pomades it flacked after about the 12th hour of use. I would never spend 15 dollars on pomade, that could get to be a really expensive habit.

Like I said in the other post I mostly use Royal Crown and then I touch up the front with something stiffer. The key is not to use a crap load, sometimes waiting until after the hair has completly dried and I've had the Royal Crown Hairdressing in for awhile then I'll do the touch up with Murray's and that touch up means just rubbig my finger on the top of the pomade, not actually globbing it outta the can. I've found too much will weigh your hair down, but we are all going for different looks here.

Zach R.

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Well, you can't "wash" your hair.you can certainly wet it, but if you use regular shampoo, you will most likely create just a ton of build-up.

I can vouch for this!lol

It is really hard to get used to not washing your hair, though.

I'd love to lay my hands on some Royal Crown, but I was wondering what exactly was the verdict on the "Taylor of Old Bond Street" Hair Wax that is sold on Classicshaving.com?

ortega76

Practically Family
In the past, I loved Murray's Lite. It's much lighter than the regular Murray's. I put a little on my fingertips and ran it through wet hair. It washed out with regular shampoo. If you use the regular Murray's, rinse your hair with a can of Coca-Cola. Trust me, it works.

Currently, I use American Crew pomade and hair wax. Depends on how long my hair is and what "look" I'm rocking that particular day.

Benny Holiday

I don't know if this is available in the U.S., Chad

but I use Yardley English lavendar brilliantine. It's got a good consistency and has a scent that garners compliments from every woman who comes within a five meter radius of my hair! lol

FredDairy

Familiar Face
ortega76 said:
In the past, I loved Murray's Lite. It's much lighter than the regular Murray's. I put a little on my fingertips and ran it through wet hair. It washed out with regular shampoo. If you use the regular Murray's, rinse your hair with a can of Coca-Cola. Trust me, it works.

Currently, I use American Crew pomade and hair wax. Depends on how long my hair is and what "look" I'm rocking that particular day.

I liked the Murray's Light as well. You outta try Nu-Nile, it's right between Murray's Light and regular Murrays.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
There is a product I have found that I really like and use daily.... Groom and Clean by Suave. It washes out without any problems. I first rub in a little brylcreem (for shine) and then the G and C (for hold). I have used most of the heavier waxes like Murray's, RC, American Crew and some of the boutique waxes like 18 Wheeler. For me the G and C works great and it very cheap. You can also use G and C to help remove wax from your hair. Just apply before you shower and work it through your hair....it helps remove the heavy was such as Murray's.

I can't say enough good things about G and C. I wished I would have found out about it years ago!

ortega76

Practically Family
FredDairy said:
I liked the Murray's Light as well. You outta try Nu-Nile, it's right between Murray's Light and regular Murrays.

I think I'm done with pomades for quite awhile. I like the American Crew line of products. My style is getting to be equal parts retro-hoodlum and classic punk. It seems to be my growing collection of tattoos, casual work environment and the rough-and-tumble nature of fatherhood!

matei

One Too Many
I tried Murrays, but my wife didn't like the uber-greasy feel. However, Murrays makes a beeswax-based pomade that is great. It is a lot easier to apply, doesn't "flake" anywhere near as bad as the regular Murrays and washes out easily as well.

It makes it easier to "restore my 'do" when I take off me hat. Just run my fingers through me hair (don't even need a mirror) and I'm sorted. No more hat hair.

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
haha speaking of hair goop i used vasoline before has anyone done this? everyone said i looked terrible but i thought it gave me an old fashioned look :-D

FredDairy

Familiar Face
skwerl-hat said:
haha speaking of hair goop i used vasoline before has anyone done this? everyone said i looked terrible but i thought it gave me an old fashioned look :-D

Never vasoline straight out of a jar, but Royal Crown Hairdressing is essentially vasoline.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yuck! Greasy Kid Stuff!

I didn't think that they still even made all those pomades and stuff! :eek: I think it comes from the by-products of the distilation of crude oil! lol
I like the modern dry hold gels. No waxy build-up! lol

Barry

Practically Family
I use "Christophe" grooming cream. It comes in a blue/purple tube and I buy it at CVS. It seems to work ok. It holds my hair in place does not make my hair stiff or greasy.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot