Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair that won't hold a curl

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
What's the best way to curl hair that is fine and straight?
I've tried hot rollers, all different size curling irons, and all different kinds of hairsprays and hair products, and my hair won't hold a curl for more than an hour. Should I try sleeping with wet rollers in my hair, or just accept that fact that my hair is too fine to hold a curl?

(If this has been asked before in another thread, please link this to the other thread before you close it. Thanks.)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
tossing this out: a friend who's hair wont hold curl's hair stylist steamed her curls (no clue how) maybe something to look into?

Brooksie

One Too Many
Yes, we do have a thread out there where we went into detail about this. The thread is called: Do I have to curl my hair to be vintage accurate? (or something along those lines) I do not know how to make a link from that thread onto this one or else I would.

I also have not contributed to the thread yet even though my hair is very straight, fine and hard to curl.

Brooksie

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I have similar hair and I can tell you, a wet set is much different then using heat. With curlers or an iron, my hair will fall within an hour unless I shallack the curls in. Wet sets last all day and have sometimes ended up too curly. :)
Try a pin-curl wet set or one with sponge rollers. It's night and day.

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
Odalisque said:
I have similar hair and I can tell you, a wet set is much different then using heat. With curlers or an iron, my hair will fall within an hour unless I shallack the curls in. Wet sets last all day and have sometimes ended up too curly. :)
Try a pin-curl wet set or one with sponge rollers. It's night and day.

Wonderful! Thank you!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Is that your actual hairlenght in your avatar? Maybe it is just too long so he curls fall out immedideatly? I have very straight hair, too. Whenever there was the slightest bit of wind or moisture my carefully arranged hair just fell out. Now that I cut it and got me a perm it holds the curls all day.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My hair won't hold a hot roller or curling iron set either. It won't even hold a wet set when dried with a bonnet dryer. It won't take a perm, either. If I do a wet set and let it air dry, it will hold for 2 days.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
My hair won't hold a hot roller or curling iron set either. It won't even hold a wet set when dried with a bonnet dryer. It won't take a perm, either. If I do a wet set and let it air dry, it will hold for 2 days.

Yeah, I've heard that wet sets that air dry work for girls who can't curl with heat. There was a discussion in another thread that said wet set/air drying actually changes the structure of the hair temporarily. And since it's such a slow setting, it holds longer then the faster, speeded up curl that you get with a wet set dried with a bonnet.

weird.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Use setting lotion as well...helps the curls stay in. Pillow rollers are easier to do than pin curls but pin curls are more comfortable to sleep in. Make sure to tie a scarf around the rollers or curls when you sleep.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Use setting lotion as well...helps the curls stay in. Pillow rollers are easier to do than pin curls but pin curls are more comfortable to sleep in. Make sure to tie a scarf around the rollers or curls when you sleep.

I'm ignorant. What are pillow rollers? I've just accepted my hair and am happy with any bends my buns put in. Occassionally I'm motivated to roll my hair up but mainly I'm just experimenting with tidy and timeless but elegant updos.

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
RetroModelSari said:
Is that your actual hairlenght in your avatar? Maybe it is just too long so he curls fall out immedideatly? I have very straight hair, too. Whenever there was the slightest bit of wind or moisture my carefully arranged hair just fell out. Now that I cut it and got me a perm it holds the curls all day.

That picture is a little outdated. My hair is halfway down my back now. I've only tried curling it once at this length, and it worked well with a curling iron, but unfortunately, I got caught in a pop up thunderstorm and that was then end of that hairdo! :(

I'm thinking of cutting it, but I don't want it any shorter than shoulder length.
Also, my hair is all one length, and I'm nervous about getting layers. Would layering help the curl?

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
i know what you mean, i also felt this way about cutting my hair ( my hair is also impossible to curl and was super long...) so i got a "long bob" cut that almost reaches my shoulders, i love how it's easy to handle now. it takes me about 20 minutes to set my hair (damp, with a little setting lotion) and holds for two days. however i'm too lazy to do this every other day, so i still wear it straight :eusa_doh:

Lillemor

One Too Many
glamour-girl said:
i know what you mean, i also felt this way about cutting my hair ( my hair is also impossible to curl and was super long...) so i got a "long bob" cut that almost reaches my shoulders, i love how it's easy to handle now. it takes me about 20 minutes to set my hair (damp, with a little setting lotion) and holds for two days. however i'm too lazy to do this every other day, so i still wear it straight :eusa_doh:

I like your cut. It looks classic even when it's not set. Bobs are great for those who feel it suits them and who don't want to/can't set their hair every day.

ValenciaCalling said:
I'm thinking of cutting it, but I don't want it any shorter than shoulder length.
Also, my hair is all one length, and I'm nervous about getting layers. Would layering help the curl?

I understand that. I recently got a blunt, collarbone length cut with a center parting. I prefer my hair straight or in smooth updos so I haven't considered whether this cut will hold curls or not. This is the most flattering cut I've ever had. If I decide to experiment with setting my hair again (provided my scalp gets in better condition), the center parting should actually make it easier to change side parts than when my hair was cut from a side parting.

Layers helped to hold curl when I had them but layers don't look good in my hair texture (thick, coarse, straight, but sparse density) when my hair isn't set so I'd really only recommend layers in straight hair if you intend to wear your hair curly most of the time. My layers added too much width to the sides of my round face so I'm glad to be rid of them.

My current blunt, one length cut makes it easier to wear my hair in a tidy updo than when I had to tame layers into an updo. On days when I do nothing with my hair, it looks healthier and more pulled together than when I had layers hanging loosely.

If your hair isn't completely straight, my hairdresser says that layers are more flattering than a one length, blunt cut.

Btw. My hair is very high maintenance in care even though there's nothing to the style itself. So for the same amount of money and time I spend on care, you could have very nicely set hair.:) It's all a matter of individual preference.

crwritt

One Too Many
Have you straight haired ladies with hard to curl hair tried an epsom salts rinse?
I heard of this idea on the naturally curly boards and it really does enhance the curl for those with wavy hair.
I'm just curious if it would help to put a little wave in straight hair.
Anyone willing to experiment?
Here's how;
Mix 1/2 tsp in large tumbler of warm water, let dissolve and pour over freshly washed and conditioned hair. Use more of this mixture as necessary for longer, thicker hair. This is a final rinse. Don't rinse out.
After this, do your wet set as usual, and let me know (just curious) if it stays any longer than usual.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have very fine hair but a lot of it, so curling is a pain in the butt for me, too.
To hold it for a day, sometimes two, I have to do a wet set with either sponge rollers, pincurls (for looser waves), or vintage metal rollers. I use a setting lotion and water mixture in a spray bottle.
If I want to do heat setting I have wash my hair, not use conditioner, then put in mouse and blow dry it until it's dry, then I use hot rollers and spray the hair with hair spray right before I put the roller in, one section at a time. When it's done and I finish the set I spray the heck out of it. It will hold for a day for me, but it's more crunchy and somewhat of a pain- I think I'd rather just do a wet set and leave it be than deal with that, but it's the only "quick" method I've found.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I have very fine straight hair, and it's not thick at all.
But just like all the other ladies have said, a wet set's what does the trick for me as well, whether it be in sponges or pincurls.
Other wise my hair falls and becomes limp in a very unbecoming fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff