Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair won't really slick back/part with new pomade?

G

Gabriel

I just recently bought myself American crew pomade for the first time 2 days ago. As a note, I've never used a hair product besides shampoo and conditioner before.

After getting the right haircut I needed for the look, I went home and showered, and blowdried my hair. Afterwards, I opened the new American crew pomade I bought from the Target and took a good finger amount or two, and rubbed it into my hair. After this, I took a comb and a brush and relentlessly to slick my hair back and also make a side part but, my hair kept refusing. No matter how much I comb it or part it, it just seems like it has some sort of resistance to slicking back and parting. Now, I won't say that the pomade did nothing since it did do something, but the amount it waved really wasn't what I was imagining it would look. Is this because my hair is not used to this and I'm using a bad product? Or am I not doing this in the right fashion?

Could someone please explain why this is happening or if I'm doing any problems explain what I need to do? Would really appreciate it! :(

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It should help to wet your hair a little with water before using the pomade, but do not soak it. If it can't slick straight back, try combing it diagonally back, or back two different directions from around the center. The first options good with a side part, and the other option is good if you want to have an off-centered (like I presently do) or center part. I often can't slick my hair straight back without a lot of pomade.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
Did you brush it backwards while blow drying until nearly dry then apply the preparation by smoothing it on in the direction your hair is lying and then comb it in - this works for me. Alternatively if your hair styles ok when wet try fine tooth combing in the pomade while your hair is still slightly wet.

G

Gabriel

It should help to wet your hair a little with water before using the pomade, but do not soak it. If it can't slick straight back, try combing it diagonally back, or back two different directions from around the center. The first options good with a side part, and the other option is good if you want to have an off-centered (like I presently do) or center part. I often can't slick my hair straight back without a lot of pomade.
Hm, Today this morning I went ahead and applied my pomade again. I woke up, tried to come my hair, struggled for a minute (it was rather coarse and dry when I woke up) and applied 1-2 scoops of water in my hands and mixed it into my hair. Afterwards, I blow dried my hair (with no direction really) and then began to comb it sideways since that was the only way it wanted to work. I'm still trying to side-part the right side of my head (from my perspective of course) but the side part has the most minimum presence right now. Would perhaps a better pomade work like royal head and crown or something like that?

Did you brush it backwards while blow drying until nearly dry then apply the preparation by smoothing it on in the direction your hair is lying and then comb it in - this works for me. Alternatively if your hair styles ok when wet try fine tooth combing in the pomade while your hair is still slightly wet.

I didn't actually use a brush, most of the brushes I have either lightly hurt a little bit or are very rough, not only to mention many of them have long 'spikes' on the brush (that's my only known name for the thing that sticks out of the brush at the moment). So if anything, I've only worked with water, pomade, a hair dryer, and a comb. I'd really like to get this thing slick back as fast and best as possible. :(

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The stuff you have is probably too weak. Try some of the strong stuff like Murray's Superior or Dax Wave and Groom.

G

Gabriel

The stuff you have is probably too weak. Try some of the strong stuff like Murray's Superior or Dax Wave and Groom.

This I may try. However, I must ask you - what is the best way to use pomade without ''clogging'' up my hair from breathing? I'd hate to use my pomade incorrectly and cause consequences such as loss of hair or balding young in life. Would really appreciate it. :)

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Water based products, like American Crew, are really just a hair gels masquerading as a pomade. Some people have good results with such products, but if you have thick or wavy hair, (most) water-based hair dressings are worthless for getting a straightening effect.

The best way to apply heavy, oil-based pomade is as follows:

(1) dab a very small, coin-sized amount onto the palm of you hand;
(2) rub both palms together until the pomade is thinly and evenly spread over both hands;
(3) gently work the pomade into dry hair, taking care that it is evenly distributed throughout all you hair;
(if you've done #2 and #3 correctly, no hairs should be pulled out; if hair is pulling out, you are using too much at one time)
(4) repeat 3 and 4 as needed;
(5) shower as normal and make sure to shampoo
(this softens the pomade, which makes combing easier);
(6) comb your hair right while it's still damp.
(again, if hair pulls out, you're using too much pomade)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure about using the hard pomade like Murray's with thick hair. Black and white (about a medium strength)works better for me. It's not clogging up or pulling out my hair for sure.

The steps as described seem like a good way. With medium pomade I don't need the shower step though.

I think you should just try it a few days and it might get better (real pomade doesn't wash out at once) except you have some cowlicks or similar stuff about the direction in which your hair grows.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, there is a reason why you find these brands in virtually all ethnics sections of drugstores in the US. ;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have quite thick hair (something my father is envious of!) and on the rare occasions that I style my hair, I use Murray's pomade, and get pretty damn good results out of it (and I like how it smells). I wet down my hair slightly with warm water, scoop out some pomade. Rub it in my hands, rub/massage and rake it into my hair. And then I simply shape it and work it in with a pair of old men's hairbrushes, like what they used to do back in the 30s.

The results are pretty damn good, I reckon.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
"Murray's Superior" is in my experience by far the best to tame thick, strong hair.
I have such hair and the soft pomades don't hold them down for long. Some "cement" is required.

But I never use "Murray's" straight - I mix it with some vaseline (a big fingertip Murrays with two fingertips vaseline) for easier combing and shine.

Last edited:

ShaneB

New in Town
Do you really want to be using an old style oil based pomade? Bit of a leap from not using any hair product to using oils, which are pretty hardcore in this day and age.

If you have a big thing about washing out the hair product for when you sleep then you need to give the oil based products a miss - some people don't mind leaving the oil in their hair, others would rather wash it out completely at the end of the day. Something worth remembering.

I'd try using a small amount amount of hair clay for strength and then supplementing it with proper hair wax - you can buy old style hair waxes that have high shine. There's no reason why that wouldn't work on thick hair.

Try V05 Matt Clay and then LS&B Classic Wax.

TheDon

New in Town
American crew is overpriced crap!
Ive been slicking back and greasing my hair for years and used to use Murrays exclusively. However, a few years ago, I started using Suavecito and havent looked back.
Suavecito has incredilble hold on dry hair and smells really good. It will also completely wash out of your hair.
Layrite is great also but I like the smell of Suavecito better.
Try it, you wont regret it!

Rogera

I like the Layrite Supershine. It doesn't harden but adds volume and shine (my hair is unfortunately thinning). The Layrite Supersheen hardens a little more and both wash right out. I have a can of Murrays but I just cannot get myself to use a pomade that requires days to wash out. I want to though :eek:

Undertow

I realize this is an older thread, but may I make a suggestion (for any of yous guys still interested)? I have thick, wavy hair and 3 cowlicks. I often need to tame my hair, and something like Brylcreem just doesn't cut it.

If this is your first time using a pomade, and you're uncertain of what it will do to your hair, I would NOT recommend Murray's original immediately. Perhaps start with Murray's Hair-Glo, which should be obtainable in any ethnic hair store, or online. I put this in on Monday morning, wash my hair on Tuesday and Thursday, and it's gone by Thursday night. The coconut oil will give you the "wet" look, and the lanolin will help keep it in shape. You can reapply a dab each morning to stretch your use.

I've also found Murray's Super Light to be a nice alternative to the original formula. This has about twice the hold that Hair-Glo has, and lasts about 5-7 days after one or two applications.

If you must use a heavier pomade like Murray's Original and you're finding it difficult to remove, try using Suave brand Groom & Clean. I would suggest applying daily in the morning and then washing after day two or three. The longer you wait to wash, the more it seems to breakdown the pomade.

I'm not just hawking Murray's here - I'm only speaking from experience of a brand I use, and I find easily obtainable/approachable. I'm sure there are any number of decent alternatives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana