Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair worries

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hello ladies, I am about to take the plunge and get my grey hairs dyed out at the salon. I figured that this would be the best way to go as the dye doesn't go onto your scalp like a home dye kit does as that is something that I would like to avoid. None of the home dyes seem able to dye my greys in the strand tests I have done, so I think this calls for drastic action.

I have had a lot of trouble with my hair over the last 5-6 years it is very frizzy at times and I have a very sensitive scalp.

I am worried about the effect of dying on the condition of my hair but my greys are really starting to show and they are beginning me feel older than I am and a bit miserable :(

Does anyone out there have any advice about how to deal with dying out greys, I'm just concerned about how often I will need to dye it and whether or not it will all fall out or something equally terrible? Also how do you maintain the condition of dyed hair and cope with roots showing.
P.S I have dark brown hair and am planning on having it dyed as close to my natural colour as possible.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
Does anyone out there have any advice about how to deal with dying out greys, I'm just concerned about how often I will need to dye it and whether or not it will all fall out or something equally terrible? Also how do you maintain the condition of dyed hair and cope with roots showing.
P.S I have dark brown hair and am planning on having it dyed as close to my natural colour as possible.

While I can't provide any advice on the grey hair issue, I can tell you that the best way to maintain your hair color is to be sure that you use products that are safe for color-treated hair!

Because there won't be any bleaching involved, you probably won't notice too much dryness or damage. If you are concerned about damage/dryness, use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (I use Aussie Moist shampoo and 3 minute miracle conditioner, both of which are color safe and not tested on animals). Cheap products like Suave will strip the color straight out of your hair. You might also want to try one of the numerous products (shampoos and conditioners mostly) now available for maintaining hair color - they usually have pigments in them to help keep your color rich. I would also recommend a once-weekly deep conditioner or hot oil treatment. Another thing you can do is use a leave-in conditioner (Fudge One Shots are the best, in my opinion, but hard to find). This is especially important if you spend time in the sun!

As for your roots, there's not really any way to deal with that other than going in for touchups or dying the roots yourself. Most salons will recommend a touchup for roots every 6 weeks, but you may find that you can go longer than that. In the meantime, if the roots are really bothering you, you may want to try one of those temporary color sticks you can get at the beauty supply store.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll love the results of your color!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
KittyT said:
While I can't provide any advice on the grey hair issue, I can tell you that the best way to maintain your hair color is to be sure that you use products that are safe for color-treated hair!

Because there won't be any bleaching involved, you probably won't notice too much dryness or damage. If you are concerned about damage/dryness, use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (I use Aussie Moist shampoo and 3 minute miracle conditioner, both of which are color safe and not tested on animals). Cheap products like Suave will strip the color straight out of your hair. You might also want to try one of the numerous products (shampoos and conditioners mostly) now available for maintaining hair color - they usually have pigments in them to help keep your color rich. I would also recommend a once-weekly deep conditioner or hot oil treatment. Another thing you can do is use a leave-in conditioner (Fudge One Shots are the best, in my opinion, but hard to find). This is especially important if you spend time in the sun!

As for your roots, there's not really any way to deal with that other than going in for touchups or dying the roots yourself. Most salons will recommend a touchup for roots every 6 weeks, but you may find that you can go longer than that. In the meantime, if the roots are really bothering you, you may want to try one of those temporary color sticks you can get at the beauty supply store.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll love the results of your color!

Thanks KittyT, I was thinking that a deep conditioner once a week would definitely help things so that sounds like sound advice.

Incidentally I've never heard of the temporary colour sticks do you have a link for these?
Thanks again!:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
Thanks KittyT, I was thinking that a deep conditioner once a week would definitely help things so that sounds like sound advice.

Incidentally I've never heard of the temporary colour sticks do you have a link for these?
Thanks again!:)

Well I've never used them, but they don't cost that much so they could be worth a try! Here are a few:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1440/700650
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1440/117503
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1440/117510

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Oh, and one thing I forgot! It's always a good idea to pair a color with a haircut, or get your hair cut shortly after your color. This way any damaged ends can be snipped away :)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
My mother uses henna to dye her greys, and I'm going to try using henna to dye my hair next time, since it's so safe and pure...you're perfectly fine using it on your scalp, and it won't damage your hair at all. I think henna is actually good for your hair; it's an ingredient in many high-end natural shampoos.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Oh, and as for temporary fixes between touchups, I know Bumble and Bumble has a sort of powder that you put on your roots. It's pretty cool, and they have it for blondes, brunettes and redheads.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I've used henna before, very good stuff, I use the Lush ones, they are really gentle, and condition your hair, it actually made mine seem thicker and more manageable. Sadly they are only temporary, and a little fussy, I had nearly waist length hair at the time, and I could never comb it through, it will also stain your skin and clothes, so you MUST use gloves, and smear your hairline with either lotion or petroleum jelly.

I love the results they give, and depending on how long you leave them in, they can last as long or longer than regular dyes, they are well worth the fuss of gloves and lotion too.

Have fun experimenting!:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi Eve~

I would reccomend starting out with a semi-permanant color such as Redken Shades. While it is not made to cover grey, it usually does. And if it covers or blends yours it would be best for now. Semi perm will wash out a tad with each shampoo, so your original color and greys will come back more natural looking.

If you go (or have to go) straight to permanant color, you will have to touch it up about every 5-6 weeks... when your hair has grown in about a half inch. Depending on the percentage of grey you have depends on how much your regrowth will show, (contrast).

Semi will only deposit color. Permanant strips your natural color a tad and then deposits the new color.

Frankly I do not reccomend Henna. IF you do, be sure it's all natural with no other chemicals, preferably powder form.

Of all the herbal colours tested only HENNA made any worthwhile difference. Dried henna comes from the roots and leaves of the plant Hennara Lawsonis. Its active principle, Lawsone, is a resinous substance which has a strong affinity for hair proteins. Contrary to most uninformed opinion, henna is NOT good for hair and if used too frequently can cause dryness, dehydration and breaking. In herbal medicine henna is known as one of the most powerful astringents. It can only be removed gradually by using oils on the hair which act as solvents for the lawsone. Hair treated with henna should not be permanently waved as the absorption time of the perming lotion is increased so that processing takes longer and excessive chemical damage is caused to the hair.

Unless you are bleaching or your stylist is abusing the color, there is NO reason your hair would ever fall out or become terribly damaged. As far as shampoos go, be sure to use something that does not contain chamomile, as it is a natural lightener.
The new sulfate-free shampoos are best!

BTW, if you're having other scalp and hair issues you may want to check with your doc. Could be stress, diet, hormones, many other medial conditions.

Good luck!
Nikki

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Hi Eve~

I would reccomend starting out with a semi-permanant color such as Redken Shades. While it is not made to cover grey, it usually does. And if it covers or blends yours it would be best for now. Semi perm will wash out a tad with each shampoo, so your original color and greys will come back more natural looking.

If you go (or have to go) straight to permanant color, you will have to touch it up about every 5-6 weeks... when your hair has grown in about a half inch. Depending on the percentage of grey you have depends on how much your regrowth will show, (contrast).

Semi will only deposit color. Permanant strips your natural color a tad and then deposits the new color.

Frankly I do not reccomend Henna. IF you do, be sure it's all natural with no other chemicals, preferably powder form.

Of all the herbal colours tested only HENNA made any worthwhile difference. Dried henna comes from the roots and leaves of the plant Hennara Lawsonis. Its active principle, Lawsone, is a resinous substance which has a strong affinity for hair proteins. Contrary to most uninformed opinion, henna is NOT good for hair and if used too frequently can cause dryness, dehydration and breaking. In herbal medicine henna is known as one of the most powerful astringents. It can only be removed gradually by using oils on the hair which act as solvents for the lawsone. Hair treated with henna should not be permanently waved as the absorption time of the perming lotion is increased so that processing takes longer and excessive chemical damage is caused to the hair.

Unless you are bleaching or your stylist is abusing the color, there is NO reason your hair would ever fall out or become terribly damaged. As far as shampoos go, be sure to use something that does not contain chamomile, as it is a natural lightener.
The new sulfate-free shampoos are best!

BTW, if you're having other scalp and hair issues you may want to check with your doc. Could be stress, diet, hormones, many other medial conditions.

Good luck!
Nikki

Thanks Nikki, I have read that some of the apparently "herbal" henna powder preparations can contain all manner of harsh chemical dyes and what not. I have read some true horror stories on the web. I used to use henna when I was 18 and then my hair was able to deal with the drying qualities of it. My hair is much drier now so I think that I would best avoid it.
It sounds like you really know about hair! I am interested in the idea of the semi permanent. This is what I started out wanting to do,but every semi home dye that I have tried on my greys just doesn't touch them! Would this be different if I got it done in a salon?

My greys are only really at the front of my hair, but they really show badly if I want to part my hair in particular ways. Also I have noticed that the overall colour of my hair is not as rich as it used to be so I would like to warm it up a bit all over.

I would like to avoid a permanent if possible but what I am worried about with the semi is the rest of my hair being darker and my greys showing up even more!!:eek: lol

I think that hormones are to blame for my hair becoming dryer etc as I have had several blood tests done and everything is normal so it must be hereditary and symptomatic of getting a bit older! (I'm a grand old 35!!:) )

Thanks for the tip about the powder hair dyes too Geisha, I have heard mention of them before as being good between dying and will check them out.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
You're welcome Eve!

Covering grey also depends on what color you want to use. Such as, if you are using an ash to try and combat red or brassy tones, ash does not cover grey well.

You want to stay with a natural brown or something with more warmth. Having a *hint* of red or gold is best, that doesn't mean you have to be auburn or a redhead.

Yes, I've always heard that henna was bad and if anyone used it and wanted a perm we wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

I don't know anything about OTC hair color. But in my experience, Shades covers pretty well. Even my Aunt, who has used OTC products AND gone to pros over the years, says that the shades covers her grey better that anything she's used so far. Hers is mostly in front as well, and she has dark brown hair.

Another thing with the semi... you'd want to stick with a number 7 or below or it probably won't cover either. The lighter the shade the less coverage... same goes for permanant, because if you go lighter you'll have to use some ash and it won't cover as well either.

Nikki

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
I've used henna before, very good stuff, I use the Lush ones, they are really gentle, and condition your hair, it actually made mine seem thicker and more manageable. Sadly they are only temporary, and a little fussy, I had nearly waist length hair at the time, and I could never comb it through, it will also stain your skin and clothes, so you MUST use gloves, and smear your hairline with either lotion or petroleum jelly.

I love the results they give, and depending on how long you leave them in, they can last as long or longer than regular dyes, they are well worth the fuss of gloves and lotion too.

Have fun experimenting!:)

Oh, I've been dying to try the Lush (caca! lol ) kind. I actually had the red kind, but some mice sneaked into my bathroom cabinet and had a feast...well, at least we know it's non-toxic, hehe.

I hope that henna can give me a nice jet-black. I heard that some henna shades have more blue in them -- I think that's what I need. I'm just sick of compensating the health of my hair (and possibly my body, since your skin absorbs that stuff) just to look nice for a few weeks until it fades!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
GlueGunGeisha, I used the Caca Rouge for a good year, and used it often to build up the colour I wanted, as I said above, I loved it and it worked really well for me.
I found with long hair it was just tooo much fuss though, so I gave up using it.

Given the light Nikki has shed on henna, I'd say approach with caution but Lush products have always been really good, and I would definitely go back to their hennas if I decide to start changing colours again:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I think if your hair is on the short side, and you won't be using it very often~go for the henna. But if it's long and you will be putting henna on several times on "the same old hair"..not so good! ;)
Nikki

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ah, I don't think I'll have any problems, then! I'll definitely watch out for what kind of henna I use...I'm definitely used to checking for bad, useless ingredients in everything, hehe!

Thanks for your information and input -- very helpful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko