Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Half Belt Modification: No Flare to Skirt

kronos77

One of the Regulars
"No Flare to Skirt" is what I am told I should ask for from Aero if I want a half belt that tapers all the way down past the belt to the hips. I have seen at least one example here on TFL of such a half belt.

Has anyone had this done and how do you like wearing it after some time? Does anyone think it is heretical, bad design, less attractive or just not advisable?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I had a standard 1930's half-belt from Aero and it had no flare. I'm not sure they are meant to but I know some jackets do have this feature. You certainly see it on some cafe racer J100's.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Yep I agree, my new 1930s HB has no flare either. It tapers down to the waist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Seb, it is prominent on the j100 and designs based on that model for sure. I have seen it on many half belts and always thought it might be a little uncomfortable in cold weather as it doesn't seal out the cold air. I think much of the flare is from tightening th straps, so the extra taper would be to prevent having to tighten the straps at all. Never had a half belt, so I don't know.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think that's right GN - Apart from tightenign issues, I wonder if there is a particular design ethos at work around the flaring when it happens on a half-belt.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The flare may be needed depending on how long the jacket is and...um, how much junk you got in the trunk. If you are fairly slim and the jacket ends above your ass, you've no need for any flare. If the jacket is a bit longer and follows that V-taper closely (in other words, a slim fit), it will probably need to flare out a bit once it hits your ass & hips.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grayland hit the nail in the head. If you want a longer jacket and you have a larger belly then hips you won't need a flair. If you are slimmer and your waist is narrower than your hips it just won't work without a flair.

When My jacket was made I asked for "some fishtail" but not the whole tuna.
I need it for my hips, and my jacket is cut more snug (ala j-100).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112