Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Half Trunk? Hat Trunk?

pgoat

One Too Many
Did you ever have an epiphany moment whereupon you suddenly take a closer look at a dusty/rusty/oxidized/overlooked antique or old piece you've had forever? I just had one...

I have an old square cube-shaped trunk I bought for about $10-20 at an estate sale back in the early 1980s. The person selling it said they thought it was a stagecoach strongbox, but it basically looks like a small wooden trunk with leather and metal trim (I believe the lock and snaps are brass). It has "1895" burned into the front, like a brand, which I thought looked suspect (someone trying to pass a fairly recent item off as "old"), but the inside sure looks old...my wife commented it looked like a hat box for some reason and when I Google'd the other day for info I am pretty sure that is what I have.

Does anyone else have one of these? I guess they are also called "half-Trunks"...I searched for threads here, but couldn't find any.

I will try and post pics in the next few days. I am fortunate in that mine is in pretty decent shape and has no funny smell. I've used it as a end table and for storage over the last 30 years. I am thinking about having it restored...it's missing its key and it may have had a tray at some point but that's gone.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Don't spose it has interlocking LVs on the leather does it? ;-> Another idea is one of a set of fitted luggage for automobiles, but it sounds too heavy duty for that kind of service.

I bought a gorgeous pigskin square case with beautiful brasses on it at an estate auction in central NYS probably 30 years ago. Turned out to be a Mark Cross case, with a mint Brooks Bros beaver top hat (MY size!) and an engraved calling card inside it. I figured it out that it was a friend of mine's father's law partner at a very white-shoe Syracuse firm. 20+ years later, I think it was my first sale on ePrey and I got about $200 for it, after a lot of nasty notes to a guilt-ridden remorseful buyer. Fun piece, especially after I figured out who the owner was and assume that it was worn to an Eisenhower inaugural, (lamenting there wasn't one for a NY son, Tom Dewey) as the families of the firm were very strong NYS Republicans.

Have fun with yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112