Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand warmer pockets

SPAD

New in Town
This will be my kick-around jacket, patches, and general wear. I have two other A-2s, but one is for dress and the other for motorcycle riding. One jacket has hand warmer pockets and I like them. The other does not but both are goat and I think I want a light color horsehide. SPAD

vernknight

New in Town
Honestly, I never use my handwarmer pockets. I either wear gloves or stick my hands in my jean pockets. they arent good for holding anything, and they are too high up to be used for your hands, at least comfortable. Now, I know its not historically accurate, but to get an inside pocket, now that is useful.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree - I have a Flight Suits Civil A-2 with handwarmer pockets... but I find that I tend to put my hands in my pants pockets most of the time!

I do regularly keep my keys in one of the handwarmer pockets, though.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
With most of the jackets I've owned, I've gotten into the (bad?) habit of always putting my hands in my pockets. If historical accuracy with the pockets isn't a concern for you, and having them put in isn't going to break the bank, I'd say "why not?".

With the Legendary USA Trojan Horse motorcycle jacket I recently bought, it's got a handwarmer pocket on the right side, but not on the left. It's really making me notice how much I was into the habit of putting my hands in my jacket pockets when I go to do it without even thinking about it, only to have my left hand bump into the side of my jacket with no pocket there.

SPAD

New in Town
I'm long retired, and I'm gonna put my hands anywhere I want, well, maybe, ha. One of the reasons I like the handwarmer pockets is I keep a cell phone in one pocket and junk in the other pocket, flap pockets that is and when it's rather cool I like the handwarmer pockets.Gotta tell the General that's what autopilots are for. SPAD:)

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
There is nothing wrong with adding hand warmer pockets to an A-2 or any other type of jacket. They are practical and functional. Every WWII AAF vet that I have ever talked with would have welcomed having hand warmer pockets on their flight jackets. Any good tailor can add these pockets. Mr. Dover at US Authentic will add hand warmer pockets and an inside pocket to A-2 jackets. You can contact him at flightjackets.com and ask for a price. I understand that the turn around time is only a week and he is good at matching leather colors.

Ray

SPAD

New in Town
Ray, Thanks for that, I do like handwarmer pockets. I also have a local guy who does leather work and I'm going to talk to him. I was on US Auth site and was wondering if they did that mod. I have one A-2 with and one without HW pockets and I notice when the weather gets cold I like those handwarmer pockets. So thanks for the info. SPAD:)

SPAD

New in Town
Talked to my buddy, John the leather man, he said let me take a look, should'nt be motre then an hours labor, so maybe 50 bucks. So after the turkey days I'll bring a horse hide A-2 to him and see what he says. He has done other mods to my different motorcycle leathers and stuff and I have been happy with his work. SPAD:)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A2 and handwarmer pockets? NO-NO!

Unless you want a 50's civvie look. Don't do it.

(the original military directive was to have small, high pockets, so that men couldn't stick their paws in them! as it looks slovenly and un-military like).

bfrench

Familiar Face
Welcome back, Paddy

PADDY said:
Unless you want a 50's civvie look. Don't do it.

(the original military directive was to have small, high pockets, so that men couldn't stick their paws in them! as it looks slovenly and un-military like).

Hi, Paddy,

Welcome back - we've missed you here and at VLJ - good to see your smiling face again.

Bill French

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the warm welcome gents.

I'll not be around 'as much,' for now, but...I'm still very much around. And it's good to be moving in the right direction health wise. Thanks gents.

SPAD

New in Town
Gentlemen, I intend to use this A-2, not as an ornament, or decoration, but as a real live jacket, you know, one that if your hands get cold, you can put them in a handwarmer pocket. I am not interested in preserving it for posterity or selling it, just having a usable horsehide A-2. Kind of like having a car and driving it. I don't want to impress anyone but myself, and please myself. Thanks for the input. SPAD:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points