Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hangers!

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Perhaps a very banal question, but- is there some gold standard hanger brand or type you recommend, in this case for men’s suits? The IKEA wooden ones are too rough, so I was just going to hop on Amazon and buy some polished ones, but then I read the polish could be bad for clothes. I figured there’s a good chance that, like with most things, there is actually a preferred way to go. (And I don’t think the soft type, preferred for delicate dresses, is ideal, just owing to the structure of the suits’ shoulders and the fact that I’ve never seen men’s suits on them, ever. But I could be wrong!!)

Thanks all!

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Thanks. KA has been recommended to me now in a few places. That's when I have to double back and go, "ooooh, ok, maybe I want the silver standard." :) $30 per hanger is really steep, so I was wondering if maybe you knew the next tier or two down?

Thanks again!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
suit_Cover2.jpg
These hangers are typical of the kind retailers use. Being wider at each end they support the shoulders where the sleeve is attached. That is important in order to keep the interfacing within supported. Most often one of these hangers will come supplied with the suit, or even a blazer.

As for the bar on which you are supposed to hang your trousers, I never use it. All my trousers are hung upside down. A tailor passed that tip onto me, he said when they are hung that way, it prevents unwanted crease across the leg of the trousers. Hung upside down they always look like they have just been pressed.

Suit_Cover3.jpg

Finally, do invest in, if you haven't already done so, protective dust bags. These not only keep your suit dust free, they also prevent any moth infestation.
Suit_Cover1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points