Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanging jacket on coat rack

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
BanjoMerlin said:
Other folding coat hangers. There are lots of patents for folding coat hangers that appear to have not been marketed.

http://www.hangflex.com/

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=219

http://www.mensgiftshop.com/acatalog/wardrobe-and-bedside-organisers.html
I'm not quite sure this one would be too good at not damaging you suits...
foldinghanger.jpg

Bertie

New in Town
Oh well....

Yes, those are cute hangers.... ;)

But is that the general consensus, that you should always use a hanger (unless it's impractical)? So I ought not to go in to work, for example, and hang my jacket on the coat-rack peg by the door as I walk by--I should actually hang it on a hanger?

I know it may sound silly...but I was not expecting that. I thought there's a tried 'n true way of hanging a jacket on a peg.

Many thanks to all!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bertie said:
But is that the general consensus, that you should always use a hanger
YES!

Or fold it.

This ain't rocket science, buddy..........[huh]

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Richard Warren said:
One option which I find preferable to the folding coat hanger is to use the coat for the function for which it was designed: wear it.

I quite agree, Richard. If your jacket fits properly, it shouldn't be uncomfortable standing or sitting. If it is too warm wearing a jacket in your office, turn down the thermostat. Save a little energy.

dnjan

One Too Many
Unfortunately, not all of us work in modern buildings with reliable temperature control. I have no air-conditioning for summer, and drafty, single-pane windows in winter. So definitely it is off with the jacket when I get in to work in summer.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
There's also that little issue of modern building that have no user control of the temperature. And the many professions that don't allow for wearing a jacket while at work.

RM Bantista

New in Town
Gentlemen:

Suit coats and sport coats, particularly db coats are meant to be worn at all times with the exception of using the necessary room facilities. I wear them in the car on the way to and from work. I button them when standing if sb; db remain buttoned at all times. If the conditions permit, I wear silk and linen, tweed in the cooler months, and heavier weight wools in winter with a topcoat. I also keep my hats on my head under most circumstances.

I look for appropriate additions for layering in cooler weather and lighter fabrics for hot weather. Tee shirts year round in various weights and weaves beneath the shirt and jacket. Wool and cashmere socks are very comfortable even in summer heat. I try to have apparel to match the conditions and situation planned for the day ahead.

Different fabrics have properties which make them more suitable for some conditions than others. One is always learning more about these matters and seeking appropriate items to fit particular circumstances and moods or presentation. This is serious, educational, and an opportunity for self-expression; why else would one be interested in dress, if it were not a suitable activity for adults?

A well dressed gentleman is generally accorded a different measure of courtesy and regard than a middle aged fellow trying to look like a 12 year old in hand-me-down clothes in need of replacement...

But dress as you please; I do.

Regards,

Rudy

dnjan

One Too Many
RM Bantista said:
Suit coats and sport coats, particularly db coats are meant to be worn at all times with the exception of using the necessary room facilities. I wear them in the car on the way to and from work. I button them when standing if sb; db remain buttoned at all times. If the conditions permit, I wear silk and linen, tweed in the cooler months, and heavier weight wools in winter with a topcoat.
Out of curiosity, do you hang said topcoat on a hanger or on a peg when at work or at a restaurant?

I often hang a jacket on the back of a chair as it tends to be more supportive than hanging from a hook. For work I brought in some inexpensive plastic hangers to hang coats and various jackets on hangers from a coat hook.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Wolfmanjack said:
I quite agree, Richard. If your jacket fits properly, it shouldn't be uncomfortable standing or sitting. If it is too warm wearing a jacket in your office, turn down the thermostat. Save a little energy.

Um... wouldn't turning down the thermostat make the air kick on there for using energy?

Room temp or not, I think it only polite to take your coat off. IMO wearing your coat gives the appearance that your ready to get up and leave.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Honda Enoch said:
Room temp or not, I think it only polite to take your coat off. IMO wearing your coat gives the appearance that your ready to get up and leave.
The OP was inquiring about a suit coat or blazer not outerwear.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
So it's impolite to wear a suitcoat/sportcoat indoors?:eusa_doh:

IDK, I just always felt that when I am in a room that I am going to be spending a lot of time (this excludes time spent in museums and the like) then I should remove my jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo