Happy 75 to Bob Dylan!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by parispal, May 24, 2016.

1. parispal

parispal Familiar Face

2. Thanks for the link!

3. parispal

parispal Familiar Face

my pleasure. I found it after I had posted all the pictures in random order ;)

4. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

Bobs hats always interested me

particularly always loved his look on The Last Waltz... that hair length, hat and beard were a great look for Bob

Qrowin and Chamuco like this.
  5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Great shots. Happy Birthday, Bob.

Love the shot of him in the car. The Howard Johnson's coffee cup, the packs of cigs (is that a pack of Chesterfields?)...

Chamuco likes this.
  6. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

I believe so - along with a package of Camel

Chamuco and RJR like this.
  7. parispal

parispal Familiar Face

The Thunderclap:

Along with the whiteface came [​IMG]an amazing hat, part preacher, part sinner, part circus barker, what with its “bol de sucre” crown and Saturn Ring brim, along with the ethereal “chanson des fleurs” hatband, made of both real and fabric flowers and bits of straw grass and wheat. A hatband that grew and changed with each performance, as he continued to “enhance” it.

The hatband seemed to echo a rare natural performance in Dylan, both in his “unplugged” approach to the standards that he sang with his “troupe”, and the fact that he actually talked casually to the audience between sets in a clear and strong voice (something never really repeated again).

Our “Thunderclap” is a Special Limited Edition. The hat itself will be hand made to order, formed in a special block culled from the notes of the original. It can be ordered in our 100% Western Weight Fur Felt, or our very special 200XXX 100% Beaver.
    http://baronhats.com/index.php/musician/product/101-the-thunderclap

[​IMG]

“West Texas" style fender-fold Cowboy hat:
    https://baronhats.com/index.php/western/product/38-outlaw-blues

"As is the original, the “Outlaw Blues” is made of specially dyed “Silver Belly” 100% Fur Felt, with a lanky “moonshiner” styled and shaped crown, and wide brim, which we then sidewindered on both sides in a "West Texas" style fender fold."

[​IMG]

Ross Young and Chamuco like this.
  8. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

9. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Those were the days.

TheDane likes this.
  10. Moviehats

Moviehats One of the Regulars

Val Kilmer gave his Doc Holliday hat to Bob Dylan. Wish I had it.

skydog757 likes this.
  11. skydog757

skydog757 A-List Customer

Bob's swagger, utter and complete confidence allow him to wear whatever he chooses without a trace of self consciousness. The guy always looks great because he knows he looks great.

Edward and parispal like this.
  12. Oh...for just a minute there I thought you were on the wrong thread & talking about Bob Roberts.

BobHufford likes this.
  13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

:D

Frunobulax likes this.
  14. Bob will be wanting to move that to the "Nicest Comment I Ever Heard" thread. LOL.

Bamaboots, moontheloon and Frunobulax like this.
  15. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

I've actually heard from guys who know Bob and have worked closely with him.... including Levon Helm and David Kemper ... that he is very self conscious and insecure and that he constantly second guesses everything he does and has ever done.

they say he is basically a shy introvert who is extremely private

seems odd for a musical genius but it's true ... and actually very common for a true artist

the conversations with those guys were the first things I thought of when I saw the IBM commercial

16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Hah. I just looked that commercial up - I hadn't seen it. Good stuff.

And yes, it's often the neuroses that make the artist an artist. It seems to be a well that they draw from.

17. skydog757

skydog757 A-List Customer

He certainly doesn't come off as a shy introvert on The Royal Albert Hall album or the Dont Look Back (1967) film or Newport, for that matter. But time can change a person. As you say, he is extremely private concerning his personal life and has revised several stories about his own history many times. He seems to like to keep people guessing.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's really impossible to begin to assess how important and how much influence Dylan has had on this culture over the last fifty-some years. I don't think any artist has been covered by other musicians as extensively as he has, and, it's funny, but some of his songs didn't really hit me until I heard them done by other musicians. I'd always thought "Nashville Skyline" was just an okay album until I heard Elvis Costello's version of "I Threw It All Away." When I listened to Dylan's album again it was a different one than the one I heard when I was in high school. To me, that's what makes a great artist: the material seems to change with you and deepen as you get older.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  19. parispal

parispal Familiar Face

you mean, this ad?

20. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

I just watch the 1975 Dylan rolling thunder tour on netflicks. bob wore this western felt with the rolled brim though out.
    He did change the array tucked in his hat band dylan-hat-5.jpg

Ross Young and deadlyhandsome like this.