Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Summer Solstice

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today, 21 June, is Summer Solstice in the northern hemisphere. It is the longest day of the year. Here in Vienna, the sun will set at 9 pm. In the countryside people will light bonfires to mark midsummer night, the halfway point in the growing season from spring equinox to autumnal equinox. Now starts the long slow slide of shortening days… Only 187 days til Christmas. :) Happy Summer Solstice!

Temps in Vienna are in the 90s f. And Vienna doesn’t really do AC, so cool autumn temps don’t sound so bad to me right now.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Stonehenge.jpg
Hundreds of people attended the summer solstice at Stonehenge despite official advice asking them not to travel to the site in line with Covid restrictions. Nothing stops the solstice party.

Did you know that the word solstice is derived from the Latin sol ("sun") and sistere ("to stand still"), because at the solstices, the Sun's declination appears to "stand still"; that is, the seasonal movement of the Sun's daily path (as seen from Earth) pauses at a northern or southern limit before reversing direction.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 342518
Hundreds of people attended the summer solstice at Stonehenge despite official advice asking them not to travel to the site in line with Covid restrictions. Nothing stops the solstice party.

Did you know that the word solstice is derived from the Latin sol ("sun") and sistere ("to stand still"), because at the solstices, the Sun's declination appears to "stand still"; that is, the seasonal movement of the Sun's daily path (as seen from Earth) pauses at a northern or southern limit before reversing direction.

"F@ck the napkin..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points