Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has any one come across the brand 'Matchless' jackets?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I was browsing the net for jackets and this 'Matchless' brand came up. Apparently the brand has 'British' roots and are making some movie jackets? Just wonder if anyone has owned any of their jackets. I suspect some Italian companies bought the brand up and pretend to be British..... sounds familiar? Even their pricing is close to the David Beckham brand as well......

This is the link.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I was browsing the net for jackets and this 'Matchless' brand came up. Apparently the brand has 'British' roots and are making some movie jackets? Just wonder if anyone has owned any of their jackets. I suspect some Italian companies bought the brand up and pretend to be British..... sounds familiar? Even their pricing is close to the David Beckham brand as well......

This is the link.
Matchless used to be a British motorcycle manufacturer. Looks like someone bought the trademark rights to produce clothing. I know a guy into high end fashion who owns a lot of Versace and Armani suits and expensive watches, who owns a Kensington jacket, which he likes. But he lives in another state and I haven't seen it firsthand. I looked at them and found them to be uninspired and not interesting to my own tastes.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Armie won't help sell, surely. They also do Star Wars costume jackets. Not my thing.

I don't even think they are film replicas, they look like Starwars theme jackets which replicate the colours and designs of what the characters wore in the movies.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As an ex Matchless owner(1961 G12) this is a bit of an insult. Even the modern day bike project looks sh.. I wouldn't be seen dead in the clothing.
I shall say no more(Well....I may have to defend my favourite bike)

Matchless company has been (re)launched by the ex-Belstaff owners, if I remember correctly. As others have noted, Matchless company used to produce motorcycles and motorcycle clothing looong long time ago and the Malenotti family (guys that owned Belstaff for a while) bought the Matchless name after Labelux got a hold of Belstaff and replaced the staff, and so this is the result. SB kinda deal. Matchless is an early 2K's Belstaff quality and design, obviously. Not all too bad but fashion stuff in any case. High fashion, posey stuff.
Mallenoti also kept their movie affiliation range which is something that had brought Belstaff wider attention. Sadly, War of the Worlds jacket has yet to be repeated... Plus, their movie jackets are only inspired by the on screen jackets and look really lousy.

They've also decided to stick to the Belstaff price range as you can see. Their jackets probably cost more than what they've paid for the Matchless brand name...

John Warr

Familiar Face
Matchless company has been (re)launched by the ex-Belstaff owners, if I remember correctly. As others have noted, Matchless company used to produce motorcycles and motorcycle clothing looong long time ago and the Malenotti family (guys that owned Belstaff for a while) bought the Matchless name after Labelux got a hold of Belstaff and replaced the staff, and so this is the result. SB kinda deal. Matchless is an early 2K's Belstaff quality and design, obviously. Not all too bad but fashion stuff in any case. High fashion, posey stuff.
Mallenoti also kept their movie affiliation range which is something that had brought Belstaff wider attention. Sadly, War of the Worlds jacket has yet to be repeated... Plus, their movie jackets are only inspired by the on screen jackets and look really lousy.

They've also decided to stick to the Belstaff price range as you can see. Their jackets probably cost more than what they've paid for the Matchless brand name...

We have just had one in to alter (shorten sleeves). As a fashion jacket you get what you pay for. Or less. If you were thinking about riding a motorcycle in one, I would advise agin' it. Monitor has it about right.

Jaime

One of the Regulars
I was going to answer but Monitor did it first. They're basically what Belstaff was 5 years ago, same fabric and same particular colors (antique black, black brown, antique natural...) but in my opinion worse styles and cuts than Belstaff classics.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, Monitor has it. there was a thread on here about it a couple of years ago. They're nothing special design wise, and rather expensive. Pity, as it would have been nice to see the old brand revived with something cool and affordable (c/f Mascot and Goldtop).

Justhandguns

Practically Family
It is odd (and funny in a way) that the Malenotti business is trying the Belstaff trick again. Some of the Matchless jackets look like costumes out of the Power Rangers than anything else. If I want a movie replica, I want an exact replica, not something which is inspired by just the colours or some useless features of those movie jackets.

Edward

Bartender
Given that they obviously made their money with doing the same thing to Belstaff, they must reckon these will sell well. They may well do - I can see a market for stuff that's a nod to but not an exact repro. There's not much that appeals to me in it. I do quite like the trench-style shearling. The Shearling parka could have been nice if they hadn't covered it in silly patches. I don't much care for the 'falg waving' approach to somed of the branding either. Some military repop stuff I'll wear with a flag on it, but as a rule I don't like itg on civilian items, even if only in the lining.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I want a movie replica, I want an exact replica, not something which is inspired by just the colours or some useless features of those movie jackets.

Exactly!

I never understood this. If you are going to go to the trouble of making a movie "replica" jacket....make it the same damn jacket...not loosely inspired by.

Right! It looks nothing like the jacket in the movie and yet it costs 1200 GBP. What exactly am I paying that insane amount of money for? Relatively obscure brand name? Mall quality? Or the utter lack of screen authenticity?

I am genuinely amazed someone actually bought one of those jackets, and it does appear they have sold out in most sizes...

John Warr

Familiar Face
We have just had one in to alter (shorten sleeves). As a fashion jacket you get what you pay for. Or less. If you were thinking about riding a motorcycle in one, I would advise agin' it. Monitor has it about right.

Oh look. Another one with LOOOONG sleeves. 5" too long. What is that all about ? The customer is not a particularly strange shape. :)

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Some are very flimsy, some are less so. They've been turning up a lot on sale in some shops recently so I've seen/tried a few of them in the flesh. I agree largely they are very overpriced, you are clearly paying for the name, but a couple of them surprised me as to the weight, materials and construction and probably were sold somewhere near a reasonable price.

As to the cut, I've long been a fan of the Belstaff-into-Matchless long sleeve, trim cut (mostly as I drive a convertible a fair bit in all kinds of weather and the longer than 'normal' sleeves and jackets with insulation are great for that). That said, they aren't comedically long, just in line with other jackets of their type. All that said, really dislike the 'on the jacket' branding they do. At least with their wax products you can pick the patches off!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana