Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anybody seen ____ around Lately?

Peacoat

Bartender
Hey Tom, thanks for the thoughts, apologies for not answering your pm.
I am all good and well, just somehow moved on to other things.

Up untill a couple years ago there was really nothing new going on in my life and because of that i ended up spending a lot of time thinking about leather jackets, they became an important part of my life and i spent far too many hours thinking about them and posting about them on TFL...

Brexit hapened, covid happened, i left London, had to start again in Belgium after 15 years in the UK.
I switched from being mostly a live musician to opening a recording studio, and that has basically replaced leather jackets as the thing that my mind is constantly obsessing about...
Nowadays i wake up thinking about microphones and preamps and new techniques to experiment with, rather than hides and patterns!

That, plus the fact that TFL was changing into something that i couldn't really relate to made me stop coming here on a daily basis...
I still check in sometimes, i still love leather jackets, but i don't think i have it in me to keep on posting about them...
I do miss TFL, but unfortunately i don't think the TFL i miss still exists.
Sorry you have moved on, but I understand. You have been a valuable contributor here for years.

BTW, if you run across any late 50s/early 60s PAF Humbucking pickups, please let me know. I would like to have two of them for a project I'm contemplating.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Met him on a London meet up ..great guy & very knowledgeable

Maybe we should try organising one this year... what do you guys think?

I’ve tried to post some more technical stuff about recordings here but there usually isn’t much interest; even three of us would be a critical mass.

That would be great! An audio conversation would fit in this forum.

I would love that personally :D

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Audio conversations can get pretty volatile though. Once someone starts telling me how his rare earth metal $50,000 interconnects took his sound to the next level I tend to tune out, lol.

red devil

Audio conversations can get pretty volatile though. Once someone starts telling me how his rare earth metal $50,000 interconnects took his sound to the next level I tend to tune out, lol.

I did notice there is a lot of superstition going on in the audiophile world. I read somewhere that some enthusiasts beleived that putting some sort of marker in CDs would make them sound better lol

Certainly more superstition than what some people put into shinki these days...:p

Aloysius

Certainly more superstition than what some people put into shinki these days...:p

These days but probably not peak TFL Shinki era. :D

I think one of the most interesting things in every hobby is the item that is pretty much respected by all enthusiasts in it (with a minority that builds their identity on hating it), despite not being the most expensive. And usually the guys who have the most expensive stuff have one themselves.

The Technics SL-1200 in turntables, the Omega Speedmaster Professional in watches, the Schott Perfecto in leather jackets, for cars it is probably the VW GTI or Mazda Miata, etc.

red devil

These days but probably not peak TFL Shinki era. :D

I think one of the most interesting things in every hobby is the item that is pretty much respected by all enthusiasts in it (with a minority that builds their identity on hating it), despite not being the most expensive. And usually the guys who have the most expensive stuff have one themselves.

The Technics SL-1200 in turntables, the Omega Speedmaster Professional in watches, the Schott Perfecto in leather jackets, for cars it is probably the VW GTI or Mazda Miata, etc.

Good point, yes.

I can imagine this item being the one thar people would customise if it is a thing in said hobby. Such as adding studwork or painting something on a schott perfecto, modifying the GTI, etc.

Edward

Bartender
Sorry you have moved on, but I understand. You have been a valuable contributor here for years.

BTW, if you run across any late 50s/early 60s PAF Humbucking pickups, please let me know. I would like to have two of them for a project I'm contemplating.

Pricey stuff, those! Though Gibson recently did a strictly limited series of PAFs faithful to the original specs. Came in a little leather case too. Yours for USD999 retail. I wonder how many of those will ever actually be used!

Thst would be fun!

There is an audio forum, if anyone has c.1920 to mid sixties studio gear that would be cool to see. Or current stuff thatcaffordably creates an accurate mimic of era sounds. :)

Think ELC are doing the pop up again in Shoreditch this year

I'd like to see that. Doubtful I'd ever buy an Eastman mow they've been market repositioned, but still nice to see.

with RD and Carlos out of focus in leather jacket... is LW still in business ?:D
Artist rendition of Stuart immediately after a Carlos and RD order…

1706710847881.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112