Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone been able to stretch an aero for length?

JohnKrenz

Familiar Face
I'm new to the group. All the posts have had me making purchases left and right though. I bought a Premier Half Belt from Aero's website that was made short so it was a good deal. I sent some emails back and forth with Denny and it measured like it would fit great. I got it today and the sleeves, Shoulders, and back are all perfect. Problem is with a 24" back the front doesn't even make it past by gut to the top of my pants. Has anyone ever been able to do the hot water trick, put on a few shirts, and get some more front length via stretch. I ask because i'm not sure if I can even send it back because it was marked way down. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I'd say if anything you might loose 1/2" in length with wear. If it's too short now, better to try and send it back while it's still new and unmolested. Sorry for the bad news.

wdw

One Too Many
Sorry, but I believe it's a non-starter, and any tiny increase you may get will soon shrink back. People here have tried, but I don't remember any succeeding.

Best to either return it or sell it on, and use the knowledge you now have to get the correct length. You're not the first to make an expensive mistake, and I've made more than most. If you're not happy now with that jacket, you never will be.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Nothing is a good deal if the fit is off. Send it back. :( Looking on the bright side is that at least you have been afforded a fit jacket from which to fine tune what you want. I agree with @Sloan1874 that high waisted pants won't save the situation.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think if you were to start stretching it in the manner suggested, it would put a helluva strain on seams and the fabric of the jacket, so to speak. Basically, I reckon you'd get minimum extra length and you could end up with a misshapen jacket.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I have found Aero has a strange way of measuring. I never quite get the same numbers as they do. I went with the fit jacket through Thurston Brothers rather than going at it on my own so I made out ok.

robrinay

One Too Many
It won't work - I had a bargain Eastman M422a with short sleeves. I soaked them and stretched them, tearing the linings. I had the linings replaced by a tailor and a month later they'd shortened again and I'd wasted time and money. In the end I had to sell for less than I'd paid.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Well done, right decision, it had to be done. Everyone has a jacket back length that they know is just perfect for them, you now know yours - result! Good luck with the Grail hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112