Has the corona virus thread been deleted?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by CatsCan, Mar 19, 2021.

1. earl

earl One of the Regulars

4 months for the second dose?:confused: We got our second doses 28 days after the first as is recommended.

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

In Canada we are still having trouble obtaining the vaccine so the gov't decided to extend the wait to 4 months in order to give as many people as possible at least the first dose. It is controversial as some 'experts' say it is okay while other experts say they are flirting with trouble. The nurse who administered it to me said it is still 90% effective after the first dose and the second one locks it in and gives it longevity. Who the hell knows! But it does take 2-3 weeks to become totally effective so my life does not substantively change in the short term anyway.

3. earl

earl One of the Regulars

4 months for the second dose?:confused: We got our second doses 28 days after the first as is recommended.
    I've heard reports recently that research indicated that the first dose alone is actually 80% effective and, yeah, the second dose simply bumps it up to 90.

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Ah, well I can accept 80% but will continue to keep a low profile till my wife gets her shot and most likely til we get #2 as well.

5. Fifty150

Fifty150 Practically Family

In my area, Dec 2020 & Jan 2021 was getting 1st & 2nd shots to seniors over 75, residents of nursing homes, and all of the doctors, nurses, and staffing at nursing homes, emergency rooms, and intensive care units. In Feb 2021, the authorities permitted seniors over 65, and essential workers. Doctors, nurses, phlebotomist, x-ray techs, police, fire department, paramedics..... I was at the front of the line. 1st shot Feb 07, 2021. 2nd shot Mar 07, 2021. Moderna. I felt nothing. No side effects. No symptoms. Of course, it varies depending upon the individual. We all react different to everything in the environment.....from 2 beers, to a bee sting, to pollen, to shellfish.

In my area, after each shot, they make you stand by for 15 - 30 minutes. Doctors and nurses are on hand to monitor everybody. They try to chat you up, make small talk with you, and monitor you. Not that they're all that interested in the conversation. But the idea is to engage someone to get them talking, so that you can observe them. From their reactions, body language, if they appear confused, or ticks and stutters. One of the doctors mentioned almost the same thing about still wearing mask, using hand sanitizer, staying away from large gatherings......something about CDC guidelines. Then I reminded that Doc that the same CDC posted on their own website, that unprotected oral sex had a slim to none chance of HIV transmission. So wear a mask, but a condom isn't a requirement.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

After my shot I was directed to place to sit, multiple chairs divided by those stupid/ineffective plexi panels. My time to depart was written in erasable marker (15 minutes hence). No monitoring at all ...although I guess someone would have noticed had i collapsed in the chair. I left after about 12 minutes and no one seemed to notice or care.

7. Fifty150

I was vaccinated at a "pop up" clinic. A trailer with a power generator and communications (cell phone signal repeater, internet access hot spot, servers, etc.). K-Rails were used to close off a city block. Tents were erected. A 5 gallon bucket full of cement, anchored a 2X4, with a hand sanitizer dispenser. You get checked in by nurses, who are actually using charting computers to access your medical file, and note your vaccination. Then go into the tent where there's about a dozen vaccination stations. Right after that, there is a triage area with Doctors and nurses, plus emergency medical equipment in case anyone falls ill immediately after the shot. As you exit the tent, you are in a "holding pen" made of interlocking barricades, with a folding chair every 6 feet. You can sit or stand. Doctors and nurses are circulating and talking to people. Nobody seemed to mind, or complain about the conditions. This vaccination station was being used just for essential workers, so everybody there was a 1st responder, and had seen much worse. About half of the people getting shots were still wearing their uniforms, so you saw doctors and nurses in scrubs with their stethoscopes dangling around their necks, and people wearing battle dress cargo pants, with t-shirts printed with agency logos. They tell you to wear clothing with easy access to the upper arm. They don't want you in layers of turtleneck sweaters. Everybody I knew went in a t-shirt, so you can just roll up the sleeve. This girl decided that wearing a bra with a scarf was the best way to do it.
    vaccine.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  8. Fifty150

As I exited the tent, I was greeted by Dr. (name redacted to protect the innocent). She double checked my vaccination card, looked at her watch and told me I had to stay until "x time", which she wrote down on a note. Gave me all the admonishments about still wearing the mask, avoiding crowds, minimizing exposure by avoiding unnecessary social activities......When I showed her on my phone, the CDC website page which said HIV transmission was slim to none from unprotected oral. Halfway through the waiting time, she came back to engage me in conversation so that she could assess my behavior...... and then she pointed out the girl wearing a bra. Then she returned again to let me know when it was time to leave, and remind me that I should seek treatment if reactions or symptoms develop...... and said that she didn't want me turning up in her office complaining about catching HIV.

9. Fifty150

Well, the elections are over. No more arguing about who gets to sit in The White House. Now we can truly focus on nonpolitical, global pandemic. It's not just The US. The whole world is getting sick and dying. And there is a huge disparity over who gets vaccines, and who isn't getting vaccines. Sometimes we forget how fortunate we are in The USA. Some people are actually vaccine shopping, and refusing. Some people have canceled their appointments, and simply got up and walked away from the needle, because it wasn't the brand that they wanted. Forgetting that they are lucky to even live in a country where they can get a shot. I can't imagine what someone in Canada or Mexico thinks, when they hear that someone in The USA refused a Pfizer or Moderna, because they only want 1 injection instead of 2.

10. Fifty150

Where I live, the floodgates are open. Everyone can get vaccinated. No complicated, overloaded online reservation system. Simply show up, and get a shot.
    Screenshot_20210410-020016.png

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. CatsCan

CatsCan One of the Regulars

Fifty150, I see you redacted the name of the Doctor to protect the innocent. I think the "girl in the bra" deserves the same, don't you? Otherwise, great story about how vaccination is done in your area.
    Here it was an airport like hall, hundreds of people moved in large queues through multiple rows between fences, guided from hall to hall, from desk to desk until you were placed on seats in parallel rows. Row after row of these seats were emptied and people guided to doors with number plates. In the first room, behind my door nr. 6, was Doctor Nr. 6 explaining me the procedure, in the next and second room of Nr. 6 I was placed on a chair, had to expose my left arm (after I was asked if I was right handed), got the shot, was directed further to desk N. 6, where I got my sticker and date in my vaccination pass, signed by the woman, and she then told me to follow the blue tape on the floor to the rest area, where I had to sit on a chair, which again was one of many in many rows, the whole rest area was watched by personnel, who looked after us. After 15 minutes I was allowed to go to the queue to the check out desk. 45 mins from check in to check out.

12. 59Lark

59Lark Practically Family

loungers. my ex wife is onida indian, so my daughters are able to get their shots, and one got pizer last week, youngest person there by decades, she is 19. My eldest 27 has a appointment next wed, same clinic. Now comes the tricky part , i am just old 57 , feel 70 most days. and have emphazima, looks like i might be able to do the drugstore thing soon, with the other vaccine astra. Witht the numbers climbing in ontario, it seems smart to do the right thing and get the shot asap. 59lark.

13. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Make an appointment somewhere just south of the border and get your shots here; we won't tell. :cool:

Tiki Tom likes this.
  14. 59Lark

59Lark Practically Family

thanks for the offer but the border is still closed and i dont fly, since they took off the propellors, and i will be broke for a while as i just spent $534. on three new fedoras, and thats cost, in 2012 those same hats were $75 plus tax and shipping. for three wholesale wow, talk about inflation. 59lark. i will get my daughter to make a appointment at the shoppers drug mart next week, on line, my computer gives me a headache and hitting it with a ruler doesnt work. 59lark.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I was able to get a random appointment for the Pfizer injection last Friday afternoon. I haven't felt any side effects, but yesterday my upper arm was pretty sore where I got the shot. That's to be expected, though.

I go for my second dose on April 30th.

16. Fifty150

Screenshot 2021-04-11 19.48.12.png

Every location is different. Different operational protocol.

As an essential worker, my duty assignment rotates me in & out of several vaccination sites. Just my observations, from a very limited scope (just the vaccination sites I've seen), everyone who wants a vaccination bad enough is finding a way to get a vaccination.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, were to travel all the way to my area, you could get a shot.

How is your local government operating the vaccination sites?

In my area, there are several "drop in" sites. This allows people who are old, don't speak English, have no way to make an internet appointment, are undocumented......to be able to get a vaccine without complications. Just come. 1st come, 1st served. A verbal screening procedure was used to ensure that you meet the criteria for priority. None of that matters, now that we are making the vaccines available to anyone over 16.

At the present, the intake staff wants to make sure that you actually live in the local area. They ask to see things like a drivers license, something with your name and a mailing address locally, etc. Not advising anyone on how to "cheat the system", but there are exigent circumstances. You moved here, you've submitted an online change of address with Department of Motor Vehicles, and DMV has not sent you a new identification card. You live in an apartment, where utilities are included in the rent, so you have no official bills with your name and address. You live with your family or room mates, and the utilities are in another resident's name. You get bills online, your account is on autopay, they don't mail a paper statement in the mail. You are homeless. You recently moved here for a job. You are homeless, and do not have identification. Your wallet was stolen, you were robbed.

Vaccine clinic staff is instructed to use clinical judgment. When there was screening for classification requirements, that meant that anyone who said the right things, got a shot. If you took care of kids, you were classified as "informal childcare". Plenty of undocumented, migrant farm workers qualified as "food & agriculture". If you gave your elderly neighbor a ride to the doctors office, checked in on him/her, and helped pick up groceries; you were "healthcare / care giver". A lot of restaurants had undocumented workers, who all qualified without ID, pay stubs, or anything to prove or substantiate that they actually worked in restaurants.

The ultimate goal is to vaccinate as many people as possible. If by chance someone slips through the screening, it's still another shot in the arm, out in the community, and another step closer to mass immunity. The real frustration is people who are refusing vaccination. There are people who for a variety of excuses, will not come get the shot. Vaccination statistics will show that certain segments of the population have a higher percentage of population vaccinated, and there are certain demographics which have a lower percentage of population vaccinated. All that I have to do is look at who is standing in line. That tells me who is not standing in line. I'm at a vaccination clinic which was strategically placed in a low income area, which has a dense population of underserved minorities. Literally, bringing the vaccine to their front door, and they aren't coming to get the shot. We're not asking for immigration documents. But we can't change someone's mind if their favorite celebrity is Wendy Williams, and Wendy won't get the shot.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Cornelius and seres like this.
  17. Fifty150

In my local area, certain populations have vaccines allocated to them through community healthcare providers. This way, neighborhood healthcare clinics can vaccinate in the community. Community members don't have to travel all over by public bus for hours. Native Americans have their own healthcare network, and are prioritized. But this is a big city. It's not like where everyone is already on a reservation, and you can easily get everyone vaccinated. People still have to be willing to be vaccinated. They have to want the vaccine, and ask for it. Even more difficult when you offer the vaccine, and they say things like, "maybe next time", or "i'll think about it".

Screenshot 2021-04-11 20.18.47.png

Cornelius likes this.
  18. Fifty150

This is actually a good sign. It shows that people want to be vaccinated. No vaccine is being wasted. Thank you Facebook, for building a hospital for the community.
    Screenshot 2021-04-11 20.33.29.png

19. Fifty150

This is what it looks like. These tents are administering 2,000 shots a day, and doing it within a few hours. If we had more vaccines, we could easily double that number.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 20.49.11.png Screenshot 2021-04-11 20.49.01.png Screenshot 2021-04-11 20.55.58.png

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

This is where my wife and I got our vaccinations:

[​IMG]

Yep, the parking structure. Well, the ground level of it. Except for the parking spaces reserved for disabled people they had blocked off the entire ground level and dedicated it to administering vaccinations. We arrived about an hour before our appointments, had lunch, filled out the paperwork at a leisurely pace, and got our shots about 20 minutes before our scheduled appointments. The Kaiser personnel kept us patients moving at a comfortable pace, and the whole experience was rather calming and relaxed. Hopefully the second round on May 3rd will be the same. Oh, and aside from some very mild soreness at the injection site on Tuesday, neither of us experienced any side effects.