Has the corona virus thread been deleted?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by CatsCan, Mar 19, 2021.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

We are not allowed to cross the border into the US by land. If by air we have to quarantine for 14 days at a cost of $2000 for the designated hotel/meals on our return to Canada.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. Fifty150

Fifty150 Practically Family

Fly to Mexico. Then cross the southern border like everyone else.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

*sigh* As usual, I was wrong. My friend got ill three days after the first dose, not the second. I just talked to him, and he received his second dose on Saturday so he's currently at home feeling ill and missing another day of work. o_O

4. Fifty150

You had paperwork? I didn't fill out anything.
    I got Moderna. I didn't feel a thing. 1st shot or 2nd shot. Makes me wonder. If I didn't feel anything, is it really working?

tonyb likes this.
  5. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Yes, a two-page form for me and another for my wife. In addition to them using the forms to put our not-exactly-personal information on the little cards that will act as proof that we've actually received our vaccinations, I'd guess they'll also act as proof that the doses were actually administered so that everyone who is supposed to get paid something will get paid.

As I mentioned way back in post #47 I didn't even feel the injection. My arm was just a little sore the next day for a little while (probably from the microchip they implanted in my arm :p) and that was it. I don't know what to expect from the second dose, but I'm sure we'll manage to survive it somehow.

6. Fifty150

When I got my 1st shot, they asked questions. Probably the same thing. I didn't have to fill out a paper form. But I'm sure that the same thing happened.

A nurse asked me if I had allergies, if I used intravenous drugs, if I engaged sexual activity with multiple partners, anonymous partners, same sex partners........ Oh! That was at another clinic, where they gave me a shot for something else. Never mind.

All kidding aside - there were some questions about medications and medical history. Some questions for statistical reporting, like age range, race, and sex. All of which, at first, I felt stupid when they asked. Because the nurse tried to keep a straight face, mumble under her breath, and sometimes just didn't sound comfortable. It was scripted. "What race are you?" Then, "Do you identify or qualify as non-white hispanic?" Then, "are you black or African American?" "Which gender do you identify yourself?" Then they had to ask questions which really made me feel stupid. Like my income bracket. I didn't want to admit to how little money I made.

I'm fairly certain that those questions were related to all of those news stories about how certain groups of people were underserved, and the vaccination site had to show how many underserved people were being served. So while I didn't fill out a form, I'm sure the nurse did it for me with clicks on the mouse.

And to paint a clearer picture, I'm an Asian guy. I look Asian. Like, I'm here to fix your computer, Asian. I answered and told her I was Asian. She had to ask if I was "non-white hispanic", and then ask if I was "black or African American". And you see all of those stories in the news about vaccine distribution being inequitable to low income people. So I'm sure that's why they were producing statistics on income levels.

I wasn't offered the microchip. I'm a little jealous. But mostly upset. Upset that they thought that you were better than me. Angry that Bill Gates didn't think I was good enough.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Jeez. I got asked precisely nothing personal when I signed up for my shot other than the basic name, address, age, sex, and race. Nothing about sexual activity or income or any of that heavy-demographic stuff. And the supermarket pharmacy assistant who stuck me was more interested in talking about all my cat-scratch scars than anything else.

Meanwhile, the usual panic-screamers are all up in the air about the J&J vaccine and the blood clot hazard. As it happens, I live with pretty much constant headaches from stress and eyestrain, and everybody who knows me knows this -- but if I show the slightest sign of pain today I get YOU BETTER GO IN AND GET CHECKED FOR BLOOD CLOTS. Not unless they make it free I won't.

Edward and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I just wish they had offered some microdip, 'cause those chips taste terrible.

Same here. Kaiser Permanente, which is a medical care group concentrated here in southern California, seems these days to only care about Covid and who may or may not have it. The other day I spent 10 minutes trying to navigate my way through their "obviously designed to prevent patients from talking to a human" phone system, and 8.5 of those minutes were spent answering and re-answering the same questions about whether or not anyone in our house was exhibiting any symptoms. o_O

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My much younger brother emailed me from Quebec where the outbreak is still raging. He did the walk in to get the AstraZeneca shot and 5 minutes after his injection he read Australia banned further use. I did my best to assuage his fears as based on the numbers lightning strike is more probable than a blood clot.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

So far as I understand it, six cases in seven million doses. I wouldn't sweat it.

LizzieMaine and belfastboy like this.
  11. Fifty150

Apparently, all sorts of statistics are generated. It proves...... I don't know what. But now they can laugh at my income and lack of intimate experience. Screenshot_20210413-150037_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210413-145042_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210413-145120_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210413-145741_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210413-145820_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210413-150002_Chrome.jpg

12. Fifty150

While out on the street, I have informal conversations. People, for whatever reason, are candid and frank. A person I know, who is a part of the administration of vaccine distribution and funding shed a little more light on why The City collects information like income, race, who I don't have sex with.......it's all money. It all revolves around money. They present the data for funding. Federal funding. Private grants. They need to show that "x amount" of people like me, (employed with prevailing wage income, not Latino/Hispanic/Black, is not gay/bisexual/lesbian/transgender, and residing in a zip code where residents are homeowners with property value exceeding "X dollars" based on property tax reports) , were vaccinated. Then they can solicit funding to specifically allocate for communities who suffer from systemic racism and income insecurity.

"x amount" of Covid vaccine is allocated to The City. Instead of equally distributing the doses throughout The City, the statistics are presented to justify allocating more of the vaccine doses to specific segments of the population. It takes money to do that. Extra funding. Fine print in the thousands of pages of The Covid Relief Bill. Congress and The President have allocated funding to serve the underserved. There are private non-profits, and foundations, which extremely wealthy people use to distribute their charitable donations and grants. The City has to show that such conditions exist, in order to receive Federal Funding. They do that by publishing and presenting reports and statistics. For every guy like me, they need more money to give a shot to someone who is not like me.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 23.08.15.png

Cornelius, LizzieMaine and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just think, the future will be so bleak that the last year & the times we're living in now will be considered the 'good old days'.

14. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

Absolutely true, and I have no problem with that. The US postal zip code in which I reside happened to have the highest rate of Covid infections in our entire state - 39%. Densely populated (nearly 100,000 people in 5 square miles [8 square km]) and impoverished (97.6% of public school students qualify for free or reduced-cost lunch), the vast majority of people here are employed in jobs where you cannot "work from home" - construction trades, food processing, airport staff, truck drivers, nurses, etc. - and reside in crowded multi-generational homes in a 19th Century urban architectural environment [i.e., I can reach out my bedroom window and grab the railing of my neighbor's porch - everything's built right up to the lot lines]. And that infection rate was with people locally taking the disease quite seriously - in my experience masking was 99.9%, groceries were limiting capacity & had bouncers counting customers at the door like a nightclub, wiping shopping cart handles with alcohol; the ubiquitous family parties of summer entirely disappeared, etc.

Given all this, the state & city governments elected to make vaccinations available to anyone in our zip code over the age of 18 as of March 1st, about a month before the population at large, as stocks were limited and had to be thoughtfully apportioned. Made a lot of sense in terms of epidemiology.

So, I am scheduled to go in for my second jab [Moderna] tomorrow morning at a remarkably well-run neighborhood clinic. Have stores of chicken soup & aspirin at the ready should they be required...

tonyb likes this.
  15. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Get second base this afternoon at the VA, Pfizer, dealer's choice but not complaining.

16. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Or they'll discover this particular vaccine also has eliminated the common cold, every form of cancer known to man, and chronic halitosis. And the CEOs of every pharmaceutical company on the planet will commit mass suicide because of the sudden loss of income as a result. Good times!

seres, Cornelius and LizzieMaine like this.
  17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

If they take the insurance CEOs and Health Care Administrators with them, I'll throw my shoes over the roof with joy.

tonyb, seres, Zombie_61 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Fifty150

Here, we don't even have yards. No space, zero, between buildings. Built up to the lot line, means your house and the house next door actually touch. You can't reach out your bedroom window. Because there's no window. Homes are built, literally on the highway. Houses are right on 6 lanes of Highway 1, leading to The Golden Gate Bridge.
    Screenshot 2021-04-14 17.15.05.png Screenshot 2021-04-14 17.12.03.png
    They'll probably figure out a way to profit from it.

Zombie_61 and Cornelius like this.
  19. 59Lark

59Lark Practically Family

loungers; well this family is vacinated at least the first shot, both daughters , who are first nations, with the pizer, and me the old man over 57 , azi, today. At the drug store down the street, being old, oveweight and with emphazima, i am relieved and when we have the second dose and are fully , will be more relieved. no line ups , no waiting , sat and read a book for ten min, and left. NO cost as well, no paperwork , daughters did that on the computer, second needle in july. i need to send a message to ottawa, thank you pierres son. 59lark

seres likes this.
  20. Why such a long wait for the second shot??
    I received my second Moderna shot at four weeks.