Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat advice at the expense of the Fedora Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the lounge is the best place to go for hat advice but we are dorks. lol

Ironic, no?

Bartenders can put this thread wherever they think it is appropriate.

From http://putthison.com/tagged/Hats

February 1, 2010
by Jesse

Q and Answer: The Non-Douchey Hat

Jacob from Seattle writes: I’ve always been a hat wearing type, but only recently have I decided to make an effort to not dress like a 16 year old (up to this point, it’s been pretty much beanies and baseball caps). I work in an office that lets me wear whatever I want, but some upcoming business trips prompted me to buy some more adult clothes. With this, I’d like at least one somewhat classy men’s hat.

I’m looking for something that will look good with a basic slacks/button up/tie. In other words, something nice but not crazy opulent. Is there something you can suggest?

I see a lot of nice hats being worn by douchebags these days. I would like to wear a spiffy hat, but would hate to be confused with a douchebag. Is is possible for a young-ish man (I’m 27) to wear a fedora without looking like a douchebag?

The answer to your question is that it is certainly possible to wear a nice hat without looking like a douchebag, even if you’re a young man. A bigger question, though, is whether you are able to, and whether you should. That’s a bit murkier.

The fedora (and it’s cousins the trilby, homburg, bowler &etc) is second only to the black duster in the heirarchy of Megadork Garments. Rare is the Dungeons & Dragons game without one player wearing a fedora he thinks makes him look like Indiana Jones. The sad fact is that these megadorks have tainted the hat for everyone else. If you want to wear a hat, you have to: A) have a great reason or B) look really awesome.

I figured I’d find some shots of guys looking great in their hats, and so I headed over to the “What Hat Are You Wearing Now?” thread on The Fedora Lounge, the internet’s home for hat enthusiasts. Frankly, what I found was disheartening. Some of the hats looked bad in and of themselves, but the bigger problem was the dudes wearing them. A profusion of bolo ties, acid-washed jeans, fat-guy goatees and other aesthetic nightmares made it hard to see most of the hats as anything other than Superdork Garb. There were even relatively few of what I had assumed I’d see: Costumey Hats, which in my book are one small step above Superdork Hats.

After looking at a few dozen pages of the thread, I gave up, and decided to post the five pictures above, all of which are at least a solid B.

Here are some points to remember when wearing a hat:

* The best way to wear a hat is as functional headgear. A nice Panama when it’s hot outside, a nice felt hat when it’s cold or rainy. A hat rarely looks out of place with a suit, tie and topcoat, set against gray skies. A more casual hat, like the Western hat on the horse guy above, looks great when working outdoors. Similarly, a modest Panama can look good whenever the sun is shining brightly.
* Wear a good hat. Unfortunately, even at a specialty hat store, you’ll find relatively few quality hats on the shelves. Only a few companies still make hats to the standards of the hat you might have bought in JC Penney in the middle of the 20th century. Many of the ones that did don’t anymore. Even if you’re at Optimo Hats in Chicago, who make the good stuff, they’ll be prohibitively expensive. Like cuff links, a hat is something you’ll definitely want to buy vintage. Get a sense of what shape and color hat looks good on you, and hit ebay. For a hundred bucks or so, you should be able to buy a great-quality vintage piece - Borsalino is a good place to start, but there are plenty of other choices - Stetson (especially the Royal Stetson line), Dobbs, Locke and so forth. Poke around on The Fedora Lounge - those guys do know their hats, even if many of them don’t know their, uhm, every other item of clothing.
* Respect hat etiquette. Don’t wear it indoors unless you’re on your way in or on your way out.
* Most hats will look best with a coat and tie. That’s just the reality of the situation. Certainly there are exceptions, but that’s where you’re starting from.
* A stingier brim will make you look douchier, but will also make you look less megadorky. For a young guy, I think that’s usually a fair trade-off. If the rest of your style makes clear that you’re not a douche, the hat won’t tip the scales.
* Be awesome in your hat. If you don’t look great wearing what you’re wearing, you won’t look good in your hat. You’ll look like a Megadork. A hat is a sartorial power move, and should only be attempted with confidence and flair. It also helps if you’re holding a guitar.

A lot of style isn’t about a single item of clothing, it’s about the overall picture. If someone looks at you and thinks, “that guy’s got his act together,” you can pull off a lot. Including hats. If they look at you and think, “this guys a goofus,” you’ll fail. One item of clothing won’t, generally, be the make-or-break.

I’m a big hat booster - I’ve always loved them, and now that my hair’s starting to thin, they’ve become quite functionally important as well - but they’re a difficult thing to pull off. They take guts and panache to wear well, and they also require a man who can inspire trust in his audience. Or just a man who’s super, super handsome.

sixties.nut

Calling us Dorks ???

By his own admission, claims to own not one but two cashmere watch caps!!!!

Has thirty dollars invested in both, obviously a connoisseur lol

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I like how he is concerned about looking like a douche. I have seemed to notice that the people most concerned about how they are perceived are the douchebags themselves. You should find a hat you like, and wear it like you own it. Or if need be, as a nice looking gal if she likes it on you. Either way, just do what you like, damn peoples perception...

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Well folks, when the only way someone can promote themselves is to pull others down, that tells you all you need to know about the value of their advice.

Geesie

Practically Family
Here are the pictures on the first page of that thread:
p1010759lq7.jpg

DSCN5396.jpg

I think I know who the douchebag is, and it's not these fine gentlemen.

Geesie

Practically Family
I'm still trying to figure out what a hat has to do with it.[/QUOTE]

It's about not being associated with this sort of thing:
kid_rock1.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
did anyone look further down the page to see the post about the guy wanting to wear a bowler with jeans and a t-shirt? The concept of that made me laugh. don't get me wrong, I love bowlers, it is just that i am not a fan of the jeans and t-shirt, and certainly not with a formal hat.

Also, I was confused by the reference to acid washed jeans and bolos. Maybe I missed something, but I have only really noticed rather well dressed gents for the most part.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
It's about not being associated with this sort of thing:

IMHO, the look in the photo is a bit cheesy because of the bare chest and big jewelry. I still don't see what a hat has to do with being a jerk etc.

Geesie

Practically Family
While his badmouthing of the Lounge is certainly misplaced and offensive, his advice is spot on - if interpreted properly

Yes, there are a lot of douchey looking guys wearing $10 stingy brims these days. And yes, there are a lot of neckbeards wearing a fedora and black trenchcoat along with sweatpants and a dragon t-shirt. And very much yes, it takes a certain amount of self-confidence to wear a real hat properly.

And there is where this jerk is useful. If you have to ask a jerk like that if you should wear a hat, you don't yet have the confidence to pull it off. It will look out of place and costumey, just like a teenager wearing his dad's suit and completely looking like he's wearing his dad's suit and not his own clothing.

This goes with the stupid answer about the bowler and the addition of the boater. If you have to ask, if you take this guy's advice seriously, you probably shouldn't try it yet.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Who says anybody needs to conform to his, or yours, or my, idea of what looks good. We have a few members here who wear homburgs or bowlers with casual gear and they carry it off well - in spite of what the style police might say.

Ephraim Tutt - Hat Anarchist

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
Here are the pictures on the first page of that thread:
p1010759lq7.jpg

DSCN5396.jpg

I think I know who the is, and it's not these fine gentlemen.

I missed something... what is wrong with these gents?

EDIT: I was out of line. I retract. Sorry about that folks

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
I don't think the author is saying there is anything wrong with these guys - or, at least, he sees them as the best of a bad lot. "A solid B".

They seem to have taken the other photos down from their site. Other than those two, which ones were they?

Edit for wrongness: Actually i see the photos now - I had assumed the photos posted by Geesie were the photos on the other site...anyway....

sixties.nut said:
By his own admission, claims to own not one but two cashmere watch caps!!!!

Has thirty dollars invested in both, obviously a connoisseur lol

Clearly a jackass or CAD for short. :rolleyes:
Maybe he might spend $5 on a fedora and actually wear it. :rolleyes:
Sometimes I wonder if all this attention given to this fool is worth it. The guy reminds me of a quote from shakespeare---full of sound and fury siginifying nothing.:rolleyes:

dnjan

One Too Many
Paisley said:
IMHO, the look in the photo is a bit cheesy because of the bare chest and big jewelry. I still don't see what a hat has to do with being a jerk etc.
The first thing I noticed was that the hat was so big it covered his ears!

Geesie

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Clearly a jackass or CAD for short. :rolleyes:
Maybe he might spend $5 on a fedora and actually wear it. :rolleyes:
Sometimes I wonder if all this attention given to this fool is worth it. The guy reminds me of a quote from shakespeare---full of sound and fury siginifying nothing.:rolleyes:

It's the internet. No argument or attention is really worth it, but as a diversion.

Foofoogal

Banned
well...
1. He is 16. Who knows anything hardly at 16. Exceptions of course.
2. You have to start somewhere. At least it is about hats.
3. Welcome to my world. I am past scared at what I see the younger generation doing online. If I didn't know they don't speak for all young people well....
4. Every time we hit that link he is probably making money.

I think the men in the photos with hats on this thread are dashing. So unless they are trying to impress 16 yr. olds who cares.

It is flat rude to come into MKs home and bash it after you exit. Elementary lack of etiquette. :)

One could even argue that all publicity is good publicity. Welcome to all the FLers who may end up here and actually respect and enjoy this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points