Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat blocking service in Seattle?

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
Now that the great Mad Hatter is no more, I have a vintage Stetson I need cleaned and blocked, and don’t know where to start.
Who does this now? I live in greater Seattle area…
Thanks!

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
A gentleman in Seattle who was well known and respected by all. I went to his store/service place around 2008 and he was THE go-to guy for all things hats. I heard he closed down his store and may’ve passed away. Not entirely sure, but he’s nowhere to be found.

A gentleman in Seattle who was well known and respected by all. I went to his store/service place around 2008 and he was THE go-to guy for all things hats. I heard he closed down his store and may’ve passed away. Not entirely sure, but he’s nowhere to be found.

Is the identity some sort of state secret? Why be coy?

Now that the great Mad Hatter is no more, I have a vintage Stetson I need cleaned and blocked, and don’t know where to start.
Who does this now? I live in greater Seattle area…
Thanks!
Did she close down? I was just in there last month. She has a wonderful collection of vintage hat makers tools that she inherited from the original owner. There are fewer and fewer hat makers that still handle refurbishments. I do them but located in Canada. Mail will run you about $24 each way. Mike at Northwest hats used to do restorations but not sure now...might be worth a check. Scott at FineVintageFedoras on Etsy (Wisconsin) advertises restorations.

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
The only full service hat shop I recall in Seattle was Bernie Utz but he was right downtown.
I dug it up. This is from a post I made here in 2008:
Conley Hats, “The mad hatter,” is sir ALEXANDER CONLEY at 1112 34th Ave. (just south of East Union Street on 34th).
*He makes custom-made hats as well, very cool guy, he said he's 73.
That would make him about 88 today.

DickWhitmanMM

New in Town
I dug it up. This is from a post I made here in 2008:
Conley Hats, “The mad hatter,” is sir ALEXANDER CONLEY at 1112 34th Ave. (just south of East Union Street on 34th).
*He makes custom-made hats as well, very cool guy, he said he's 73.
That would make him about 88 today.
And, I just found out he passed away in 2014: this is from a post I just found on Fedora Lounge:

[IMG alt="bendingoak"]https://www.thefedoralounge.com/data/avatars/m/6/6243.jpg?1461113199[/IMG]

bendingoak

Vendor​

I'm so sorry to report with a heavy heart that master hatter Alexander Conley has passed away. I meet him a couple years ago and he opened his doors to me and we talked shop for a couple hours. He is a true gentlemen and great hat maker. Hatting world has lost a great one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points