Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Blocks-Reference

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hey thanks John, also in that thread where you showed an ad with a pic of a Stratoliner and a Stetson 3 way with block #s of 54 and 59. I'd be curious to see them as well.

regards fedoralover

Fedora

Vendor
Fedoralover, I don't have the 54 and 59. The 59 I have cannot be for the three way. Art, Steve, Jimmy, Major, Mary Ann, Dave - anybody have a 54 and 59 for a photo??

I have a 59 I will take a couple of pics of. It looks close to the 52, but a bit more pinched in toward the top. Richard LaMode has that shape on file and can make them if anyone needs them. I would love to see what a 54 looked like.

John, I noticed in your list of blocks you listed a 60x. Would that be the same shape as a 60 ? My 60's are all 6 inch blocks, even for the smaller sizes. Straight sides, medium dome. Perfect for many of those tall straight vintage hats you see. I would imagine much of the crown was pushed down in the hat, 1/2 inch to 3/4 or so. Would yield a 5 1/4 to5 1/2 tall creased hat. Fedora

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The 3 way

Makll, Stetson called it a 3 way mainly because they showed the hat being worn with the brim in 3 different positions. Snapped down in front and up in the back, up all the way around-semi homburg look, and down all the way around.

I'm still anxious to see those block shapes.

regards fedoralover

makll

Familiar Face
Fedoralover,
Thanks for the explanation. I was aware of the reference for the brims but not heard of it used when tied to a crown.
As for the blocks I dont have a 54 or 59, well have to count on fedora to post pics. makll

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The 52 looks like my favorite, it has just enough dome that when you push it down for the center dent it won't suck the sides in. The 51 looks a bit too tapered for me and the 59 while being my second choice looks like you'd have to crease the crown a little shallower or you would pull in the sides at the top. Just a guess, as I've obviously never had the chance to experiment.

Thanks for the comparitive shots John.

regards fedoralover

I finally found my 1943 Stetson Three Way ad. For those of you who are not familiar with the hat here it is:
1943Stetsonthreeway.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Fedora

Vendor
The 51 looks a bit too tapered for me

Yes, it is tapered, but man it makes a great looking c-dent crowned hat. Much of that dome pushes down inside and it yields a fedora with just a slight taper after creased. And the more pointy dome give you the nice small dome that some hats have after the top crease is put in. You know, the dome that you see in a telescope crowned hat, only smaller in size. Fedora

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points