Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Box source

jazzbass

Familiar Face
Hi

Do any of you gentlman or ladies know of a source of hat boxes. I don't really care if they're travel compatible or not..Vintage is cool but not necessary, I would welcome a source of new QUALITY hat boxes as well. I've seen the eBay offerings and they are ususally worn out vintage or ladies hat boxes. I have fedoras and my head is large (7 3/4). Any help appreciated. I don't want to spend a lot on a custom wood system. Something practical but not ugly.

thanks so much

jazzbass

Barry

Practically Family
I'm trying to find a source for nice hat boxes too.

I'm actually thinking of an inexpensive wardrobe piece I saw on Ikea's website as a possible hat/cap storage unit. I know their furniture is budget oriented and I'm going to check out the quality tomorrow afternoon. I've never purchased anything from Ikea, so I don't really know.

Anyways, the unit is about 32 inches wide and 93 inches high and about 24 inches deep. I figure could slip a bunch of shelves into it and use the cardbord "rings" from my hat boxes. I'd put some mothballs or cedar shavings in at the bottom. I haven't decided whether I'm going to do it or not though.

Barry

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Hudson Paper Company

They make hat boxes

The Hudson Paper Company

Questions?

Call Us Toll Free: 800-243-5179

Fax Us 203-378-7109

E-mail Us info@hudsonpaper.com

Office hours:

8am - 5pm Monday - Friday
Closed Saturday
Closed Sunday

Our address is:
1341 West Broad Street, Stratford, CT 06615

Northbound Directions For Passenger Vehicles:

Exit 32, go around the rotary passing under I-95. Continue straight under Rail Road bridge. Make first left after bridge into parking lot behind the building. Retail Store entrance is on the right side, office entrance is in the middle.

Northbound Directions For Tracktor Trailers:

Exit 34 Take a right at the end of the ramp onto Bridgeport Ave. Stay straight going over Devon Bridge continue under I-95 overpass bearing left as you come out from overpass. Stay towards center. Watch for route 1 signs. Continue up (Barnum Ave - Route 1) five lights. After you pass a Walgreens make a left at the next light onto West Broad Street. Go to bottom of the hill and make a right at the Rail Road Bridge.

Southbound Directions For Passenger vehicles:

Exit 32 make left at end of ramp and a quick right at the light onto West Broad Street. Continue straight under Rail Road bridge. Make first left after bridge into parking lot behind the building. Retail Store entrance is on the right side, office entrance is in the middle.

Southbound Directions For Tracktor Trailers:

Exit 33 off 95 stay in left lane allong side highway going under I-95 overpass. Once through overpass bear right looking for signs for route 1 (Barnum Ave). Continue up (Barnum Ave - Route 1) five lights. After you pass a Walgreens make a left at the next light onto West Broad Street. Go to bottom of the hill and make a right at the Rail Road Bridge.

For any questions regarding sales or service, please contact us at info@hudsonpaper.com or Toll free at 800-243-5179.

Barry, Ikea sells some pretty good stuff and they sell some not so good stuff. A friend remodeled an apartment kitchen 10 or more years ago and used Ikea cabinets. They've held up well. They didn't come cheap, but considering what he might have paid elsewhere, the price wasn't at all extreme. And they're nice looking, too. Quite stylish.
I'd like to find an old glass-fronted store cabinet with dimensions suitable to store my hats. Sometimes I open a dozen or more boxes in search of a particular lid, which gets kind of tedious. I know, I know, I should just label the outsides of the boxes, but that makes too much sense.
The local hat store out here provides a box with the purchase of any new fur felt hat, but they charge five bucks per box otherwise. (They carry some inventory that we all know to be junk, such as wool felt hats, but it's hard to hold that against them. It's a whole lot easier to sell the uninitiatied a $40 hat than a $240 hat, and the retailer has bills to pay. All the western stores I've been in lately also carry wool felts, for the same reason. It's better to get some money out of those weekend wranglers than no money at all, as one proprietor confided to me.)
I don't fault the hat store for their policy on boxes. Boxes cost at least a bit of money and they take up a considerable amount of space, which also costs a bit of money. When I compare their price to what U-Haul charges for moving boxes these days, it doesn't seem at all out of line.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The Biltmore factory outlet in beautiful downtown Guelph sells cardboard Biltmore boxes for a pittance. You might try calling or emailing them. They might even stick a hat in one for you.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SHARPETOYS said:
I bought about a dozen hat boxes at T.J. Maxx . Heavy cardboard with a cord. I think I paid around $5.00 each.
I was in T.J. Maxx today and they have heavy cardboard hat boxes for $7.00 and gigantic leather, or convincing imitation leather, hat boxes for $20. They have an amazing hat box collection. Great tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana