Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat button?

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
OK, I'm a little embarrassed to ask this. I have had my Borsolino for a few years now and I still don't know what the little button on the side and by the ribbon is for. Would someone please educate me, please?

-Gary

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, since this is the far newer thread, did / does anyone actually use the wind trolley's? I know cowboys wear stampede cords, and the whole wind trolley looks like a good idea in theory. The buttons and elastic bands I've seen didn't look substantial enough to be helpful.

Later

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've used mine on my Borsalino and I have heard of several folks here using theirs to great effect, preventing the hat chase down the street. They do work as intended.

Cheers!

Dan

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
1961MJS

Are you misunderstanding how the strings are supposed to work? I think you might be.

They aren't meant to keep the hat seated on your head.

You are supposed to take the end of the string, unloop it from the button around the crown, then loop the dangling end on you collar or lapel button on your shirt. This way if the hat blows off in the wind, the string is attached to your shirt or lapel button and will not blow away. You then just grab the hat that is now dangling at your side by the string and put it back on your head.

It isn't used like a stampede string which is meant to keep the hat from falling off your head.

Last edited:

Neophyte

When I was in Las Vegas with my family over New Year's, I used the wind trolley often. It kept the hat from flying off into the traffic of the strip, and befuddled one inebriated fella (the guy ran behind me, looking for the hat in the crowd, and called out to me to let me know that my hat had blown off; I just smiled, thanked him, and kept walking, as the hat was dangling safely to my side lol).

On some hats they are for decoration, on others fully functional, as on my Akubra Campdraft. Here's my pic of my wind trolley in use. I normally have it threaded through the topmost button on my button-ups, but today I had to improvise using my coat's zipper.

CampdraftinVegas1.jpg

Neophyte

I can take them off just fine; looping them back around so the string will return as taut as it started is what I can never do.

I have that exact same problem. I have to watch when I place my hat crown down, as the cord sometimes loosens and falls. [huh] I guess I'll take some inconvenience over chasing my hat into the intersection lol.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Pull the string thru the button loop and it forms a bigger loop that you then place over the crown. Settle it down onto the brim and then push the button back (or the loop if it is a fixed button) until it snugs up to the hat. All done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points