Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat cake

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perhaps slightly :eek:fftopic: and perhaps a slight spoiler, but I've got a little flu bug and taking a "goof off day." I'm laying here watching Clean Slate with Dana Carvey because I dozed through the last quarter of another movie. But at about 13 minutes in, the cops have taken Pogue to a run-down warehouse. It goes pretty quick, but they roll out a cake that's a perfect gray fedora with pistol laying on the brim.

All I could think is - what a great idea...

Update - And actually, a little more into it, Carvey's got a nifty double-breasted peak lapel, bow tie & braces for a series of party scenes later that first day. Second day, braces with jeans & t-shirt. But there are a few others in peak lapels and a fedora or two show up throughout the film. And the recurring theme is "These Foolish Things" played on clarinet.

deelovely

Practically Family
Funny that you bring this up...This is actually something that I plan on attempting one day soon. Now I really want to see that movie! I bake and decorate cakes as a hobby and for a little extra money. I have done some sculpting with cakes and also sometimes cover the cakes with fondant icing... which is the rolled icing that you apply for that perfectly smooth finish but that can also be sculpted and shaped and then applied. Anyway, one of my project goals is to make a fedora cake and when I do I will be sure to post pics!:D

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I snagged some screen captures from the movie. They're not the greatest, and the cake's only on-screen a short time, but it'll give you an idea:

CleanSlate4.png

CleanSlate1.png

CleanSlate2.png

CleanSlate3.png

Remembering when Mom was doing cake decorating when I was a kid, I would bet the brim's just frosting, and the crown starts off as probably a 3-layer round cake with part of the side cut off and turned on-edge (sitting on the flat area cut off the round) and then shaped from there, or perhaps a a 3-4 layer square on it's side & shaped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana