Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Hello Fedorians:

I was just wondering- which color hat seems to go with the greatest variety of suit/clothing colors? I would assume it would be grey, but just wanted to get some thoughts on it.

At the moment I have a black Stetson 0181 Bozeman, and am awaiting delivery of a black Bogart fur felt fedora and a black teardrop crushable fedora. Of course, AFTER I ordered, it occurred to me that perhaps I should have ordered different colors.

It gives me an excuse to buy another hat, however... :)

"RadioHead"

mauriciogray

New in Town
Mauricio Gris thinks grey is the best.

I think the most versatile color is grey. You can wear a grey hat with any color and style of your clothes.;)
A grey hat is clean, a black hat looks dirty if you don't clean it every day.
The brim color is important than the hat color. A black or grey brim in a grey hat looks pretty well.:eusa_clap
The brown color is good but the grey is better to me.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
The most common suit colors in a man's wardrobe are various shades of blue and gray. Black is also popular. Gray fedoras are the best match to these. Tan, brown and earth tone suits are easily found but are usually further down the list of wardrobe additions. Some folks never own these colors.

Casual wear is a tossup. Jeans, slacks, chinos, jackets, sweaters and shirts can be a mixed bag, some looking best with gray, others with brown or tan.

Overall, I think the most versatile color is gray, followed by a light to mid range brown.
Black I can see for outdoor wear when attending formal events or funerals, though the homburg has a place here as well.
Outside of a funeral, I consider a black fedora with a black suit unapproachable and rather stark, whereas a gray fedora with a black suit looks more hospitable and less intimidating.
These are my thoughts on the subject. You may find some folks are more accepting of a black fedora in multiple settings.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have some hats that at first glasce appear to be black, but are in fact incredibly dark brown. They go with most things, but I've found a light grey goes best.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I've found that my most worn fedoras are my greys. Brown follows second. Ironically, the first fedoras I owned (black) are worn the least. Much like you, RadioHead, I viewed black as the staple color for hats. But the longer I wear hats, the more I realize that it is good to have a couple of options.

funneman

Practically Family
Most versitle?

Of the five I own:

black, olive green, a purple/gray and a gray/brown and light gray, I find the gray goes with most anything. The brown comes in second.

Spatterdash, I sometimes like to look intimidating.

Pilmgrim, nice avatar photo. Nothing like the sound of an old RCA ribbon.

Phantasm

New in Town
I'm going to have a custom hat created and am driving myself nuts over what color to select. My questions are: what color is your favorite hat, and what color do you find yourself wearing the most often (if different)?

rrog

A-List Customer
Hello and welcome to the lounge. I tend to wear greys and browns. So I get a lot of mileage out of my Fed IV moonstone and dark brown hats, as well as my two Stetson silver belly hats. But as to which one I wear the most, it's the moonstone, far and away. It seems to go with most anything. If I were having a custom lid made, I'd go with a lighter shade of gray.

rrog

jwalls

Vendor
Welcome

Let's see you NEED at least one each black, mink brown, natural, dark gray, hunter green, pecan, silver belly, navy blue, sky blue etc. What the hell, you have a lot of hats to buy. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
A light or medium gray will be the most versatile, by far.

:arated:

Personally, my favorite is oxblood. Harder to find, and very underrated. Then the grays. Then lighter browns. But gray is undoubtably the most versatile.

flute

rrog

A-List Customer
jwalls said:
Let's see you NEED at least one each black, mink brown, natural, dark gray, hunter green, pecan, silver belly, navy blue, sky blue etc. What the hell, you have a lot of hat to buy. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I guess that answer is the best one yet!

rrog

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My favorite hat is Mojave tan with an auburn ribbon. However, I have nightmares about such a light hat blowing off my head and into a mud puddle. With all the rain I get, it is not my most worn hat.

I find that good ol' basic brown is what gets the most use. It goes with a lot, it's dark enough to hide dirt but light enough to hide lint. Also, while I love gray, finding brown-scale clothing is just easier. I own several chocolate brown hats, and I have to struggle not to wear them all the time. :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points