Hat creases

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Matt Deckard, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

THANKS! Love that moment.

2. Short Balding Guy

Whatever the circumstances and resources were expended acquiring this hat was well worth it in my opinion. The crease is gorgeous and the hat is a prize on any hat rack!

The 40-early 50's De Luxe Stratoliner is the best of the Stratoliner felts in my experience. As you know the felt is just clay-like in it's ability to take a new crease. While malleable it holds the crease. I have only seen them in silverbelly. I happen to really like the color. Something clean and crisp about the felt color and appointments.

Congrats sir. I tip the brim of my hat in your direction. Best, Eric -

3. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Nice tall boxy crown block. Did you take some brim and give it to the crown?

T Jones, Zombie_61 and Redfokker like this.
  4. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thanks Bob. It took some but not as much as I thought it would. I gained a 1/4 inch to the crown, going from 5 1/2 inches tall to 5 3/4. The hat was advertised as having a 2 1/2 brim width but it was more like 2 5/8. Going with the taller crown I only sacrificed 1/8 inch of brim, making it 2 1/2 inches wide, now. Flanging it on a 2 3/4 flange made the brim flatter with some curl and gave the appearance of a wider brim. It actually came out better than I expected for what it is. But, in my opinion, the Premier Whippet reproduction is not even close to being worth the $225+ price tag. Anyone thinking of buying one of these hats and expecting it to measure up to a vintage Whippet from the 1940s is going to be sorely disappointed. It took some work for me to get the hat to look like it does now. In fact, you could get a far higher quality custom made hat for around the same money or less.

Bob Roberts, FedOregon and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Welcome and thx. The crown did seem a bit higher and brim somewhat shorter. I like the flatter brim as well.

6. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

Thank you, Eric! I agree 100% with your assessment of the late 40's Deluxe Strat felt.... it's incredible! This is by far the nicest Strat I own. I have become a fan of the Silverbelly color....... I wasn't sure I would like it . This hat changed my view!

7. TPD166

TPD166 One Too Many

New ribbon called for a new crease – so over the weekend I changed this one from a teardrop to a diamond. Here is my BGCD, just back from getting the new copper-colored ribbon and edge binding at Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX. A great job, as always, by Texas Hatters!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That's a great contrast. Good job.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

M Hatman, Zombie_61, TPD166 and 2 others like this.
  9. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

That really looks sharp!!!
    M

Redfokker, Zombie_61 and TPD166 like this.
  10. Short Balding Guy

Vtg. Lee Adventurer.

[​IMG]

Best, Eric -

11. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

1950's Stetson Bantam.
    bantamous.jpg

12. 40Cal

40Cal One Too Many

Knox Fifteen. This one had to have a diamond. I tried a center dent..... just didn't quite look right.
    knoxx1.jpg

13. Redfokker

Redfokker

Need to get a better shot of the crease on my Portis New Slant, but it came to me with a wide diamond. Since the person selling it on Ebay was definitely not a hat person, this would be the bash of the original owner. Probably a 60 year old bash, I kind of like it.

7May17 Portis New Slant Crown.jpg 7May17 Portis car hood.jpg

14. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

Mrs Fed and I went to see my daughter in the play Our Town. As we walked toward the community theater, I looked at the 60's - 70's ??? Champ MrsFed was wearing. It had a nice little center dent, but the front brim was up and no side dents. So I said, you need a little snap in that brim. I took the hat off her head, snapped the front brim down, reached up with my finger and thumb, and pushed in some nice front pinches/side dents. I was impressed with how well this relatively modern fur felt hat took the crease.

I looked up in time to see one of the play production assistants smiling ear-to-ear at my little "creasing" exercise. It was a fun night, and the hats just make it better. Several hats in the play. The poor Dr. clearly needed a better hat but the others weren't half bad.

[​IMG]

Rogera, scottyrocks, M Hatman and 6 others like this.
  15. andrew_AU

andrew_AU A-List Customer

Nice work finding that. Great scene. Thanks for sharing

16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Red, my memory may be foggy, but I believe the Slant was one of the first factory creased hats.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Zombie_61, M Hatman and Redfokker like this.
  17. Redfokker

Redfokker

That would be an interesting study. I have two Lee back bows that are creased from the factory, they are mid to late 50s. 1953 Lee Hat advertisement 600x.jpg

TPD166, Zombie_61, Frunobulax and 3 others like this.
  18. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

factory creasing started in the early 1940s

I know Stetson made a "slant" in the early 40s that was factory blocked ... and I can't recall what manufacturer it was at the moment but there is a 1940s ad for a factory blocked hat advertised as "hat check girl proof"

I don't think any of them sold well because they didn't last very long

I've only seen one Stetson "slant" come up for sale in my time collecting ... it was in pretty rough shape though and the factory slant was long gone

TPD166, FedOregon, Zombie_61 and 4 others like this.
  19. Redfokker

Redfokker

Love that! The Stetson Slant was a real hoot. It came up often when I was researching the Portis.

FedOregon, Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  20. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

a hoot indeed ... "the nonchalance is blocked in" ... or whatever their slogan was

the greatest oxymoron of hat advertising