Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Either I failed or I went over board. My coworker that loves my hats said this crease looks a little to fancy to wear. View attachment 477129

My intention was initially to have an overall teardrop with the raised center in the shape of a triangle similar to one of Adam's Hats on the style card from around page 7 or 8. Instead I ended up with a double tear drop. As I was trying to create the triangle center design it felt like I was fighting with the hat and it wanted to be a double teardrop instead.

Not my personal style but I think it looks great.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Either I failed or I went over board. My coworker that loves my hats said this crease looks a little to fancy to wear. View attachment 477129

My intention was initially to have an overall teardrop with the raised center in the shape of a triangle similar to one of Adam's Hats on the style card from around page 7 or 8. Instead I ended up with a double tear drop. As I was trying to create the triangle center design it felt like I was fighting with the hat and it wanted to be a double teardrop instead.
I like a double teardrop.

IMG_3410.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
How about some more "organic creases.

Center dent with a bit of rear crown pop out to maintain the crown height. (Stetson Whippet)

i-H2zbdq4-M.jpg

Gannon Wanderer with a quick crease and go.

i-MN37tH6-M.jpg

A Stetson 7X with another quick crease. The felt shows my finger marks. I have big side dents to further emphasize the high crown profile when you see the hat from the side.

i-hHmNsvF-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Sincityhatcollector

Familiar Face
I would like to share a pic of the crease of an unlined Stetson Playboy. I gave it a center dent and then I popped the back of the crown open a bit. The thin felt shows my hand/finger marks. I like how casual and how personal the crease is.

i-XTCqKFd-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
That's part of what I enjoy about felt hats. There are so many different ways to crease/shape the crown and personalize the hat. All of my felts are new or NOS so reshaping them tends to require steam. I appreciate those that are able to reshape their hats with out it. Our creases don't have to be perfect or look perfect either. I appreciate your hats appearances and that you reshape them to your liking for the day ahead.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Greetings all.
Return of the Disney Camel Hair evolution some 3 1/2 yrs and 133 posts later.
A delicious blue/gray kaleidoscope of long haired sparkly sweet felt that begs finger creasing and caressing.
Such a fine example of Disney done right.
Last pic is at rest today still holding the steam set diamond many, many wears since 2019.
B
AAF1974D-B728-4352-90DE-4C9033DC4C65.png
64250DDA-F57D-4A97-83EF-C5F25BA65749.png
EA81F47A-0BE5-4280-B346-6F71DC6B54EC.png
BE6489FC-5A75-415E-8710-71043E3B2AD1.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Here is a unique hat, "The New Slant" made by Portis.

i-RPSm2K5-M.jpg

i-VLxjX3N-M.jpg

i-S3dWDxB-M.jpg

i-pGTq3Gd-M.jpg

The crease I have put in the hat emphasizes the name - The Slant. The blocking is not "slanted" rather than the crease has a higher non-ribbon side of the crown.

The Dobbs Leisure Light, light weight black felt I creased with a simple center dent and a two finger spread across the rear of the crown. Works great for this hat, IMO.

i-MPDWs6Z-M.jpg

i-V8FkjCn-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:
The crease I have put in the hat emphasizes the name - The Slant. The blocking is not "slanted" rather than the crease has a higher non-ribbon side of the crown.
Finally a good explanation as to just what is The New Slant. I remember a thread in one of the groups.. I think on FB about a hat that had been blocked with that slant look and the discussion was if there were any production hats that were actually blocked that way. The New Slant from Portis had been brought up and it was pointed out that was just its name not the shape.

I had to pull these put of a recent post by our friend @mayserwegener

View attachment 478739
Austrian young man with hat (1928). I picked up this photo back in 2012 because of the hat's very interesting crease and over welt (?) + binding. This is from the same time period / age group as the catalog photos.

7861593958_fc66d676cf_b.jpg

7861600190_e99e6c4f31_b.jpg

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Gannon Wanderer with a quick crease and go.

i-MN37tH6-M.jpg

I love the colors in that hat, Eric, although with all the white background I'm sure the tones in the photo may be off some as compared to real life. Pecan or whiskey, I'm guessing, with charcoal trim?

I always enjoy seeing your posts of your hat activities! Thank you for sharing these.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I love the colors in that hat, Eric, although with all the white background I'm sure the tones in the photo may be off some as compared to real life. Pecan or whiskey, I'm guessing, with charcoal trim?

I always enjoy seeing your posts of your hat activities! Thank you for sharing these.

You are welcome. Whiskey beaver felt (Winchester) with charcoal trimmings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ