Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Icon: Ving Rhames?

ortega76

Practically Family
VingRhames-RWP-001224.jpg

ving_saving.jpg

Ving Rhames typically plays a hardhitting guy. From the shortlived Kojak remake to the Mission Impossible series to the hip-hop Prohibition musical Idlewild, he always displays a certain flair. In his public appearances, he certainly shows himself to be a fan of fedoras and mixing classic elements with modern pieces.

Thoughts?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I like him in movies - and I like that 'Southside Slide' he's got goin' on with those brims. But they look like fairly cheap, modern woolies with underwelts to me. Dude can wear a hat, though.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not everyone can bring off the up-brim. On most of us it looks like Ed Norton.
Art_Carney.jpg

Definitely a woolie. You wouldn't wear anything better in the sewer.

Did you know what Ving is short for? Irving. Not everybody could bring that off, either.

ortega76

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
I like him in movies - and I like that 'Southside Slide' he's got goin' on with those brims. But they look like fairly cheap, modern woolies with underwelts to me. Dude can wear a hat, though.

Yeah, I figured he gets them from Stacy Adams since he is/was a spokesperson. The guy looks good in a hat and he seems to have fun with his clothes both in character and in public. If only we could see him in a real lid!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I was thinking the same thing Suitedcboy. We should send Ving to Oscar at South Street Hats for some bashing tips...

And semi- :eek:fftopic:

I think another factor in play is that he's a man of color. The Black community still carries the torch for hat wearing. Those Steve Harvey Collection hats from Dobbs that J.T. posted up recently show that Dobbs is saavy enough to market to many segments of its' primary clientele. I know I have seen other actors; Delroy Lindo, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson, with lids.

Yesterday on the street I had a black gent stop in his tracks to admire my lid and comment on it to me when I was downtown in Philly for the Phila Hat Appreciating Degenerates (PHAD, hahaha) meeting. An hour or so prior, I had a rumpled punk say the word "gay" as I passed. (my reply isn't really suitable for this forum, enough said).

If we could entreat some other celebs to join the hat ranks (sure we have Johnny Depp, but he's so out there people pass it off as a weird affectation), maybe we could get the Whippet , taller crowned hats, edge bindings, etc... back into production.

Ok, thread jack over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana