Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat makers in France ?

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Hi all,
After a looong time away, I'm back to the Lounge. I don't even want to click the Art Fawcett thread to see what I've missed...

But let's start with a question: my wife is finally getting me to France this summer, something we've planned but haven't done for a few years. Rather than bring one of my Art Fawcett fedoras or panama (or a vintage fedora) on the planes from California to Boston, then Paris, and back again, I'm thinking it might be smarter to simply buy a new or vintage fedora/panama in France.

So, any suggestions from world travelers? Recommendations for hat shops or vintage shops in Paris or Aix-en-Provence? And yes, I've done a search and read threads on this, but most are about vintage clothing in general, and most at least a year old.

Thanks!
Steve

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
If you can get to Les Baux de Provence, you can get hats here:
DSCN1035.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
The hat stores I've been in Paris have mostly had Borsalinos in them. While I can not recommend any off the top of my head there are some really nice men's clothing and accessory stores in the 16th arrondissement (shoes at Emling, Bowen, etc.) arround the metro La Muette.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Muette_(Paris_Métro)

There are some vintage shops, including some that have mens hats at the Marche de Porte de Clignancourt (Les Puces de Saint-Ouen):
http://www.parisperfect.com/paris-flea-markets.php

In particular the people at the shop Falabas are very nice. They had a nice little collection of hats but none my size last time I was there. I passed on a very nice frock coat in my size (44)...:eusa_doh:

http://www.parispuces.com/centre_marchand.asp?langue=fr&ref=50&market=4

I've also seen some vintage hats at some of the many bric-a-brac tables at the Marche Porte de Vanves.

I'm not a big fan of Provence but one place I like and I am somewhat familar with is Arles which is worth your time to visit. There is a wonderful historic hotel there, Hotel d'Arlatan that used to a nobleman's private residence: http://www.hotel-arlatan.fr/
Arles has many seasonal festivals and wonderful traditional garments, etc. Since its by the Camargue fameous for its great bulls it has this Spanish/cowboy flare to it. I would imagine that there are hat shops there since a vaquero style hat is part of the guardian's (the cowboys of the area) traditional outfit.

Here are a line up from a bull game I went to: (Many varieties of "bull games" there, from the non-violent ones all the way to full Spanish style corridas, etc. this one was a non-violent one)

397195738.jpg

The ladies have quite a lovely costume from the area. Here are two ladies I bumped into at the game. Incidently the game was held at Patrick Ricard's ranch (the Ricard from alcohol giant Pernod-Richard):
397195736.jpg

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Note: edited to now include two photos of mine own from my last trip to Arles (the ladies were prettier than in the stock photo I found ;) )

Last edited:

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Thanks, Randooch and Blackthorn--great suggestions at either end of my trip!

Chasseur, fantastic links and recommendations. I'll definitely check out those vintage shops and flea markets and hope that some 59 cm selections are waiting for me. This trip is a first, and your recommendations for Arles are keepers--I'd love a chance to check out those bull "fights" you mention. And now I've got a little crush on the young lady on the right...;)

You guys are great--merci beaucoup!
Steve

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Steve,

Glad you found it useful. The Saint Ouen/Cligancourt markets have the best antiques and I've seen the most vintage hats in Paris. Prices tend to be high and the vintage hats tend to be small, but its a great day going through the shops and stalls there.

Arles is a great little town to visit, a Roman arena, lovely architecture, good food, and all the cultural heritage of the area. The various bull games are great fun, I'd highly recommend them.

Yes that lady on the right was quite lovely!

You'll have a great time.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I'm currently trying to find out if they are any hat makers in France. Each time all I really get are hat stores that have some their hats industrially manufactured for their brand.
I'm looking for a craftsperson who make them by hand
Not sure if there are any though.

Any recommendations ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points