Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
On Instagram just saw a posting from Wellema Hats announcing a price increase, his first in years, due to an increase in his Winchester felt prices. I think this is just the beginning.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
I think that we will see price increase in everything, it has already increased in food cost and we are all feeling it where we get gas. It might be a good ideal to buy a few fur felt hat bodies if you can. I may have to check into buying a couple myself, I am down to two right now and one is on the block right now, and I have another Camel color waiting for me.

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
I think that we will see price increase in everything, it has already increased in food cost and we are all feeling it where we get gas. It might be a good ideal to buy a few fur felt hat bodies if you can. I may have to check into buying a couple myself, I am down to two right now and one is on the block right now, and I have another Camel color waiting for me.
I have broke the bank and have about a 2 year supply of felts on hand, a mixture of rabbit and beaver.........so I can ride this one out. I think the bigger worry is the supply of raw beaver pelts. A big chunk of the worlds beaver comes from Ukraine, the swampy parts in the north near Belarus....and I am not sure if much trapping is going on there these days. The rabbit pelts are a product of the rabbit as food industry so it should be untouched. At least the Ukraine felt factory is in the west close to Poland so it should be OK.....for now.

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
I have done a little work on my grey fur felt hat body, I have it on my block and I spent a bit of time ironing out the brim. I purchased a large piece of marble to iron my hats on, lucky for me my wife will be able to use it for mixing dough or cutting lettuce and tomatoes on and since she can use it too, the marble will stay in the kitchen on the counter. Here are a few photos of my work so far, another slow-moving hat project, because I will be hand sewing another brown leather sweatband, I need to start using a thimble since my fingers are healed up.
SDC10678.JPG
SDC10679.JPG

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
I have an old dark chocolate colored fedora that I have been using as a test bed for things that I am thinking about doing, I have stripped this hat down, cleaned it using denatured alcohol, re-blocked it and ironed out the brim, curled the brim and yesterday I made corrections to the bow, then added a small piece of lite brown grosgrain to the knot of the bow, it kind of improves the look of my old beater. This is the same hat that is on my head in my photo. Here are a few photos of my beater. The first photo is what the hat bow looked like before I added the small lite brown strip of grosgrain, as you can see the edges of the brim are uneven from all that I have put this hat through, I can always smooth out the edges with a bit of sandpaper.
SDC10668.JPG

SDC10681.JPG

SDC10682.JPG