Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT NOSTALGIA

analogist

One of the Regulars
As a long time collector of many things, and I suppose being one of the older members on the Lounge, nostalgic memories, anecdotes, and experiences are just as important as the collectible item itself.

Having spent most of my life in Brooklyn (yes, I have an original 1955 Dodgers Baseball Cap) I had the experience of getting several hats at a place in the Prospect Heights section known as the Factory Store. It actually was one of the factories where Knox hats were made, as well as their less costly brand Adam (Historians, please correct me if I am wrong).

When I had graduated from college and prior to my attending professional school, I got a job at an office which had an unofficial dress code which not only required jacket and tie but also a hat when an overcoat was called for.
It was now time to go to the Factory Store to get a serious hat. The price of Knox hats was about $35 at a fine hat store and an Adam was about $25.
The Factory Store had last years colors and styles, overstocks, "seconds" and just plain duds. Their Knox collection was $10 and the Adam collection was $5.

I looked around at everything in this poorly lit building and there was no sales staff to assist you. I finally chose a steel grey fedora which made me feel quite serious on one hand and very proud on the other knowing I was now wearing a men's hat. I liked the Knox hats better and although my funds were quite limited, the price seemed right.

That evening, I took the hat to show it to my Dad who looked at it inside and out while saying nothing. Finally, he looked up and said to me,
"What was wrong with the $5 hats?"

Although I no longer have the hat, I'll always have the memory.

analogist

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Next time you come to the store , you have to tell me more about the factory store Analogist . I'll tell you about the gentelman that came into our Wlliamsburg store who WORKED for Knox during the 1920's . He was that old . I didn't want to let him leave our store .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Analogist

You are So right about not only the item you are collecting, but the stories that go along with the item. The fascination with history and the thoughts of " I wonder who wore THIS magnificent piece" are what kept my wife and I in the Vintage clothing business for almost 20 yrs. It's often the simplest things that mean the most to us based on their sentimental value.
Cheers my Friend and Welcome to the Lounge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner