Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Hat price perception in an inflationary environment

How much is the maximum price you would pay for a custom hat?

• $400

• $600

• $750

• $1000

Results are only viewable after voting.

GuitarGuy99

Familiar Face
Interesting thread. I've never had a custom made hat, but I was looking at Northwest Hats and their rabbit fur hats seem reasonable at $299.00. I'm not sure how much higher the price would go when you figure in shipping and taxes. Any ideas on how high the price could go for a rabbit felt fedora?

Interesting thread. I've never had a custom made hat, but I was looking at Northwest Hats and their rabbit fur hats seem reasonable at $299.00. I'm not sure how much higher the price would go when you figure in shipping and taxes. Any ideas on how high the price could go for a rabbit felt fedora?

I don’t live in Oregon, where Northwest is located, and he hasn’t charged me sales tax. His shipping was reasonable, maybe $20(ish) but then I’m only one state away.

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
Pay off the right person/people and I'm sure you can have them put in your coffin with you if you're going to be buried, or in the retort if you're going to be cremated. :cool:
I suspect I will die before my younger wife so to take my money with me would be cruel. However, I am sure she would be pleased to put all my stuff in the cardboard box prior to cremation.....BUT it would be one helluva big box and not likely to fit in the furnace.

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
Many hatters stick with just the beaver felt offerings as it cuts down the inventory management headaches (especially in these times of supply shortages). $250 - $350 seems to be the range for a custom rabbit fedora. Western customs run much higher for both rabbit and beaver.....sometimes by a factor of 2 or 3 times. For a fedora sized brim the cost to ship across the USA is in the $20-$25 range.....depending on box size.

I've never had the urge to purchase a contemporary fedora or western hat, which seems odd when I think about it as I can accumulate with the best of them and have purchased quite a few vintage and antique hats. I've visited Optimo a few times and handled their felt hats but never found one that intrigued me enough to ask the price. I did admire their straw collection and have had Graham refurbish both straw and felt hats over the years. I love buying berets (hard to spend over $100 there) and have purchased a few nylon hats from Tilley for more rugged use. And I love the vintage inspired caps hand crafted by Keith Lo Bue and Jonathan Cordova, selecting mostly for the unusual vintage and antique fabrics that they use in their constructions.

I wonder if the vintage market will reflect the increase in the cost of new materials - as used cars have grown in price with the limited availability of new models? I haven't been hunting as I once did.

Lew Decker

New in Town
I recently wrote to Optimo a grievance on their prices. Their response was exactly as you imagine. I just can’t justify spending in the four digits. There are options though and so I’m in the process of purchasing a hat from Mr. P at HNC. I don’t hear much about him. If anyone here has bought one please answer me this: would you buy another?

I recently wrote to Optimo a grievance on their prices. Their response was exactly as you imagine. I just can’t justify spending in the four digits. There are options though and so I’m in the process of purchasing a hat from Mr. P at HNC. I don’t hear much about him. If anyone here has bought one please answer me this: would you buy another?

I’m an unrepentant capitalist and don’t begrudge anyone selling for what the market allows. If Optimo’s business model allows for him to charge what he does and still get the volume of business he needs then good for him.

Mr. P has continued to improve his quality, but you need to have reasonable expectations at his prices. Have you read through the Agnoulita thread?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/agnoulita-hats.93020/

marzony

New in Town
They seem to have decreased prices on mid to high-end of their hats after they launched their new website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albert Mannocchi