Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat shops in Philly

newhatguy

New in Town
Will be in Philly in early October.....looking for a good hat shop for a newbie to visit,learn,and try on different styles and price ranges...mainly want to get professional advice on size and what looks best on me...anyone know of a place or salesperson I should see?

Thanks,

newhatguy

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Try him on your trip

SOUTH STREET HATS

SOUTH STREET HATS: The Philadelphia destination for fine hats and caps. The SOUTH STREET HATS team, led by owner Oscar, formerly of Dietz Hats, has more than 30 years experience outfitting men and women in the latest hat and cap styles for dress and casual. SOUTH STREET HATS offers hundreds of styles of hats and caps from the leading hat makers and provides expert advice on hat care and headwear fashion.

810 South Street
HOTLINE 215-829-1600 HOTLINE
SOUTH STREET HATS HAT STORE PHILADELPHIA, PA 19147

SIGNATURE HAT LINES
SELENTINO ~ PUERTO FINO ~ KANGOL ~ BILTMORE ~ STETSON ~SCONI
LIPS ~ TLS CLASSIC ~ BAILEY ~ DORFMAN-PACIFIC ~ BORSALINO

HAT CLEANING & REPAIR
New Outer Bow Bands ~ New Sweatbands ~ New Satin Linings
Dress Cap Cleaning~ Hat Cleaning & Blocking
Cut Brims & Roll ~ Make Down Brim

COMPLIMENTARY HAT BOX

http://philly.urbansavings.com/UrbanCouponsSouthStHats.pdf

newhatguy

New in Town
Thanks Sharpetoys...I'll actually be in that general area of town....so it will be worth my while to stop in...coupon could come in handy...thanks again.

newhatguy

MattJH

One Too Many
I realize I'm bumping a very old thread, but for anyone else who's visiting, Oscar at South Street Hats is a great guy. South Street Hats is actually Dietz Hats v2.0. You'll find a lot of vintage hats with the Dietz Hats mark on it. Here's an article on Oscar and his shop. The back of the shop is dedicated entirely to hat repairs and modifications. The atmosphere is like a barber shop -- it's a good time.

I'd also urge checking out Hats In The Belfry on the corner of South and 3rd. This is where I just recently purchased both a Borsalino Travel Light and a Bailey Jackson. Harrison is very helpful there.

cowboy76

Suspended
funneman said:
I'm going in two weeks.

Any Fedora Loungers nearby wanna meet for Lunch?

My schedule "MIGHT" be nuts at that time,...but it might not be though, which means I'd be able to head out to Philly to meet ya.

As far as a good hats store, it is now called "South Street Hats", but was once called Deitz Hats...still not sure why they changed the name??
Look up their exact address online. Yes, its on South Street in south Philly. Parking will be a pain, but you'll find a place, I always have....just park around the block, down the blcok, whatever works!

If I'm not there....
When you get there, chances are, you'll be greeted by Oscar Pierce the owner, or one of the other fine cats down there. Its a black owned shop, but the reason I mention that and the cool thing about it specifically is, these guys are old school jazz lovin' brothers! Good people!;) You wont have to worry about a bunch of thuggish cats with Jay-Z shirts and grills with attitudes helping you out and staring you down, while you wade through the nonsense,...no sir! These guys are standup, respectable gentleman, the cream (no pun intended!!) of the crop! One VERY nice thing to see and experience while in Philly.

You've also got a few others, of which I've never strayed into,...pretty high priced if I remember correctly.
- T Crawford's Fine Millnery
- Struttin Lightly

You might want to call South Street Hats before you head to Philly if you've got something in mind. This way you can know if they carry it or if they have it in stock, etc. I always get my newsboys caps down there exclusively. I like the feel of an old time gathering place with old time service,,...can get a bit busy and clamoring, loud, like a market, but its cool,...reminds you of something out of a movie I think.

If you want another good experience,...travel about 35 minutes out of the city to Chestnutt Hill. Go to "Frank's Barbershop." Opened his barbershop on his 18th birthday. Frank is my barber, he's 85 yrs. young, a Marine Corps WWII veteran (landed on Iwo Jima, Tinian, and others). He only keeps hours Thurs, Fri and Sat. Today he is cutting the hair of the great grand children of his original customers. He can tell stories AND cut hair at the same time! An old shop, a great guy to talk to and no one else I'd rather ever have touch my hair!! When we loose Frank, I'll be loosing a part of me,...a big part!
He's the fellow cutting my hair in my avatar. He's famiglia! (family in Italian)

On the way to Frank's or on the way back,..get the best Philly cheese staeak you'll ever have at "D'Allessandro's" on the corner Henry Av & Wendover St., Roxborough, Philadelphia ph.-(215)-482-5407. A little known steak place by outsiders and people who aren't locals...more of the best kept secret in Philly!! Its been around since the 1930s-40s but had moved from its original place eons ago. what people say about them:
http://myfoxphilly.cityvoter.com/Details.aspx?business=47626

cowboy76

Suspended
funneman said:
Does the Chamber of Commerce know about you?

HA!
Yeah I've often thought of starting my own vintage getaway business,...I'm actually working on the idea to be honest, but its a slow process because I am often strapped for time,...not to mention to get a business grant or loan, well, I'm your average middle class white guy so I'm screwed in that area!!:( You'd be amazed at how many people there are that are starting up new businesses via government assistance around here, but you have to be a minority or new to the country.... It blows!

barrowjh

One Too Many
I visited South Street Hats last time I was in Philly (810 South St). There's a Hats in the Belfry store 5 blocks further up at 3rd & South St, but I preferred Oscar, he's great!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
South Street Hats is the old Dietz Hat store. The owner Oscar was the manager there foryears. He is a great guy who knows his hats. Philly was a big hat city for many years . Stetson Hats had their factory there as did many others but they are all gone.
Philadelphia is probably a great place to search for vintage hats . It's an old city with a lot of history.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

funneman

Practically Family
Thanks again everyone.

Did a little Mapquest search. South Street Hats is just about fifteen blocks from my Hotel. Is it a safe walk?

cowboy76

Suspended
funneman said:
Did a little Mapquest search. South Street Hats is just about fifteen blocks from my Hotel. Is it a safe walk?

You should be just find,...just mind your Ps and Qs while walking, Philly is leading the nation in murdurs, and that's not a personal opinion, its a fact. Personally I've always felt much safer in NYC,...used to go to school there years ago, had friends there, etc. That's just my take on cities.

Where exactly are you staying? If you are in the University city section of the city, do NOT walk to South Street hats, you'll be going through some rouch areas,...not the kindest people at some points of the trek. I think University city area is actually furthur than 15 blocks though so you might not be over there.
If you're uptown, that's a good walk, you'll see a lot, etc. If you're into Italian food, down south street a bit you'll find Pietro's,...good place good food,..if its still under the same ownership.

MattJH

One Too Many
I've lived in or outside of Philadelphia for 30 years and I've never once had a problem, ever. It's leading the nation in homicides, which is awful, but the homicides are generally happening in neighborhoods where it's expected. Center City and the nearby neighborhoods bordering it (Queen Village, Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital, Northern Liberties, University City, Fairmount, et. al.) are safe. I'm there at least 4 times a week.

South Street Hats is worth a visit just to talk to Oscar. He's great.

There's also, if it's worth mentioning, a Burlington Coat Factory in The Gallery, the city's largely underground shopping mall between 8th and 11th on Market.

While you're here, visit the Mutter Museum. Thank me later!

hatflick1

Practically Family
Yo! Originally from Philly myself. A classmate of Sly Stallone. And I love South Philly. Best part of town! Buy yourself a new fedora, walk the Italian Market and then slip into a little hole in the wall for a bowl of pasta and glass of wine. Exactly what I did last time I was there. Scored a nifty Dobbs.
Anyway, two hat sources have already been mentioned. But I believe lurking along South Street is a third hat shop, but I can't recall the name. Just check out Hats in the Yellow Pages. It lists all three. And call to find out hours. I have been to South Street many times and merchants love those "Back in 5 minutes" signs. That's a Philly five... not chronological.

cowboy76

Suspended
Dumbjaw said:
Center City and the nearby neighborhoods bordering it (Queen Village, Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital, Northern Liberties, University City, Fairmount, et. al.) are safe. I'm there at least 4 times a week.

While you're here, visit the Mutter Museum. Thank me later!

Had a friend mugged in University city last year,...and there's been a rash of that and other stuff happening there, if you're a mugger, etc why not go where a lot of yuppie kids are, that's what's happening there....its just something to be mindful of, but NOT fearful of,....that is my main point, that's all.

Mutter museum,....look it up online first,...yeah its cool,I loved it, but its not for everyone.;)

Hatflick's totally right,....south philly around the Italian market is a great place to see, finding a good restuarant can be tough though,....if its Italian food, it should be Italians working there and running the joint, if you see a bunch of Indians or Mexicans or others in an Italian resturant and no one else, keep walking,....trust me on this, I know from experience! The people KNOW their own food,...I'm Polish-Italian,...I dont trust anyone else to make my ethnic food choices but those from that ethnicity,....the real deal. I'm just traditional like that.

***OH AND DEFINITLY HIT "TERMINI"S BAKERY"!!!!!!****

I cannot stress this enough,..though you may come home a little heavier after going there!!!
Look it up online in yellow pages,..its not far from the Italian market in south philly,....you might wanna drive there though, there's part of neighborhoods on the way that will get dicey,...little patches here and there. You will have the best canoli you've ever had! The store's been around forever!!!,...very cool and old inside,..a wonderful time-warp!!!

funneman

Practically Family
I hope a week is long enough to make all those stops!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'll be walking south from Market Street about twelve blocks and then east a block or two.

I am sure I'll e available for LUNCH or DINNER with any nearby Loungers, Ah-hem.;)

There is supposed to be a Three Stooges Museum about an hour from the city?

cowboy76

Suspended
funneman said:
There is supposed to be a Three Stooges Museum about an hour from the city?

Oh yeah I heard about that,...not all that far from where I'm at either,....never did go though,...maybe I might be able to make some time to go and see it with ya,...would have to be on a sunday though as that's the only day I'll be having off for a few weeks!! Not sure if they even have sunday hours though,...??[huh] I'd say that and a D'ellasandro's cheesteak my friend!!

hatflick1

Practically Family
Final thought...once you bought your hat and are walking off Italian pasta and pastries, think about checking out the old Philadelphia Navy Yard. Some of it's been converted to offices and even condos, I believe. I went there briefly with my South Philly friend John (Self-appointed mayor of South Philly, grows grapes in his 2x4 alley backyard and presses them into wine in the basement of a TV repair shop. Yo! I kid you not!) Anyway, it makes for a very unique stroll.
Staring at the old grey mothball fleet takes you to another time and another place. An era that truly matches your fedora.

funneman

Practically Family
Update!

Well thanks all, for the tip on South Street Hats. I just got back to my hotel room after spending a fine hour with Oscar and all the gang. What a fantastic experience.

I walked in wearing my Royal Stetson and double breasted overcoat with my best blue suit and tie and the guys went nuts. They said I looked "just like a detective in one of those movies on TMC." It really is an old school kind of shop. Very Cool.

I told Oscar how he came highly recommended by the folks here in the Lounge and he promised to look us up. Then he set me up with the most beautiful Navy Blue Borsalino. Sorry no pictures yet, forgot to bring the camera.

On the walk back to the hotel I had two people shout out to me on the street to compliment me on my hat! How's that for results?

I haven't had much time to visit any of the restaurants and bakeries, I barely had time to literally run down to South Street Hats before they closed. I've been hosting an annual product convention for ARAMARK and they've been running late everynight. :rage:

But thanks again for the tip, pics to follow when I get home on Thursday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk