Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat size charts

I know this has probably been covered, but I thought we should have a thread for discussion of size charts. Look around the interwebs and you'll find numerous different size charts, each claiming different inch measurements corresponding to hat sizes. Is there a definitive one? Or is there definitive information? If so, what makes it definitive? Do these charts on the internet list sweatband sizes, or measured head sizes?

This is my favourite. Apparently US hatters are like the rabbits in Watership down. Can't count above 7: The country of one size fits all!

hat-sizes-chart.gif

viclip

Practically Family
The US sizes 6 & 7 in the chart are clearly erroneous & need to be corrected. I hope that someone new to hats doesn't rely on those numbers to his detriment.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
This chart is off I am a 7 3/8 and where a 59 metric sized hat not a 60. To get one's true size you need to be fitted with a conformer. Numbers are based on a fully round head and no ones head is a perfectly round head.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
UK 7-3/8 is 60.

Circumference is the same on a given size regardless of oval shape. This doesn't mean all manufacturers agree on the size. I always thought Resistols ran larger--I was right.

SCAN0541.JPG

Simonds

Vendor
Great thread! The hat sizing charts IMO are based on each makers preferences. The true formula is: Circumference divided by 3.14, Although, depending on type of headwear felt hat/cap this will change from maker to maker to allow room for the weights and thicknesses of materials used in their hats/caps. Such as sweatband materials, hems, etc.. So it is up to the maker to determine what they should add to the true size in order for a proper fit. So it's very important to know your exact circumference.

viclip

Practically Family
I wonder whether the manufacturers take into account hair style. My current Yul Brynner look is probably a full size smaller vs. when I was a young buck sporting my infamous Duck Tail.

I have a couple old JHS stiff felts that have 1/4 (French) Point sizing (for example: Point 6 1/4).

Robert, Have you seen this elsewhere?

Last edited:
UK 7-3/8 is 60.

Circumference is the same on a given size regardless of oval shape. This doesn't mean all manufacturers agree on the size. I always thought Resistols ran larger--I was right.

What does the last column measurement correspond to, Robert?... perimeter of the crown from the outside? Or the inside of the hat body before finishing?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I believe the outside of the crown. This column is near standard on most of these Hatter's Rules.

Some devices also measure the interior of a finished hat body--without the sweatband-- and will read one size off approximately.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Typically UK sizes are a size smaller than US sizes for the same circumference e.g. a 60cm hat is a 7 3/8 UK and a 7 1/2 US but there's an awful lot of variation between one companies sizing and another. I think some companies allow for a degree of shrinkage when worn, and others don't. German hats seem quite generous for their stated metric size.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
I know this has probably been covered, but I thought we should have a thread for discussion of size charts. Look around the interwebs and you'll find numerous different size charts, each claiming different inch measurements corresponding to hat sizes. Is there a definitive one? Or is there definitive information? If so, what makes it definitive? Do these charts on the internet list sweatband sizes, or measured head sizes?

This is my favourite. Apparently US hatters are like the rabbits in Watership down. Can't count above 7: The country of one size fits all!

hat-sizes-chart.gif

I had a question about proper sizing for hats. Most of the information that I've read on measuring your head to determine your size recommends that you measure the widest part of your head just above the ears or eyebrows. To me it seems that a hat so measured will sit awfully low on one's head. Is that the proper way to measure and is that where a hat is supposed to sit? hat size chart
I had a question about proper sizing for hats. Most of the information that I've read on measuring your head to determine your size recommends that you measure the widest part of your head just above the ears or eyebrows. To me it seems that a hat so measured will sit awfully low on one's head. Is that the proper way to measure and is that where a hat is supposed to sit?

I don't live near any stores where I think the staff will know how to properly measure, and I only have one sized hat, a fitted baseball cap left over from my younger days. It's size 7 3/8, and it fits like a baseball cap should, but I am not sure that the size will translate to other hats.

Any advice is welcome.

I had a question about proper sizing for hats. Most of the information that I've read on measuring your head to determine your size recommends that you measure the widest part of your head just above the ears or eyebrows. To me it seems that a hat so measured will sit awfully low on one's head. Is that the proper way to measure and is that where a hat is supposed to sit?

I don't live near any stores where I think the staff will know how to properly measure, and I only have one sized hat, a fitted baseball cap left over from my younger days. It's size 7 3/8, and it fits like a baseball cap should, but I am not sure that the size will translate to other hats.

Any advice is welcome.

The guy you’re responding to hasn’t been seen since 2014.

I say you should measure your head where the sweatband will make contact with it. However, people don’t all like their hats to fit the same or to sit at the same height. It’s common for cowboy hat wearers to like their brims almost touch their ears, but personally I hate how that feels or looks on me.

The guy you’re responding to hasn’t been seen since 2014.

I say you should measure your head where the sweatband will make contact with it. However, people don’t all like their hats to fit the same or to sit at the same height. It’s common for cowboy hat wearers to like their brims almost touch their ears, but personally I hate how that feels or looks on me.

Any advice is welcome.
I agree with Deadly. The most important aspect is to measure your head where you prefer the hat to sit. It can make a big difference especially if the back part of your skull protrudes a lot or the brow just abode the eyes. I suggest you get someone to do it for you. Get them to take the measure 3 different times to make certain. If you get wild differences each time then take a break and start again. Yes, baseball caps are mass produced and in my experience can vary as much as one full size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB