Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat sizing revisited

armod

Familiar Face
?? hat sizes

how does one go about measuring their head and determining their hat size.

and what does LO stand for

Here is a good hat chart after you get it measured, scroll down a bit = http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/fitting.asp
Long Oval & Extra Long Oval (LO & XLO) are how oblong your head may be. It is determined by measuing head front to back as compared to side to side.
From another post:
"You can measure the circumference with a tailor's measure and then convert that number. Google hat sizing. The European have it right sizing the hat by circumference in Centimeters, no confusion. The only other problem is head shape. Round oval. oval, long oval, extra long oval. To determine that you'll need a set of outside calipers and this . . .
"Round oval is 5/8 inch longer than it is wide
"Regular oval is 1 3/8 inches longer than it is wide
"Long oval is 2 1/8 inches longer than it is wide
"X-Long oval is 2 7/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XX-Long oval is 3 5/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XXX-Long oval is 4 3/8 inches longer than it is wide."

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Size

gtdean48 said:
Here is a good hat chart after you get it measured, scroll down a bit = http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/fitting.asp
Long Oval & Extra Long Oval (LO & XLO) are how oblong your head may be. It is determined by measuing head front to back as compared to side to side.
From another post:
"You can measure the circumference with a tailor's measure and then convert that number. Google hat sizing. The European have it right sizing the hat by circumference in Centimeters, no confusion. The only other problem is head shape. Round oval. oval, long oval, extra long oval. To determine that you'll need a set of outside calipers and this . . .
"Round oval is 5/8 inch longer than it is wide
"Regular oval is 1 3/8 inches longer than it is wide
"Long oval is 2 1/8 inches longer than it is wide
"X-Long oval is 2 7/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XX-Long oval is 3 5/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XXX-Long oval is 4 3/8 inches longer than it is wide."
All the comparative sizes are OK but the inch sizes are about 1/5" larger on the Akubra than other charts.
Also is the Long oval >1-3/8,<2-1/8 longer than wide? I've never had one where the difference was 2" or more.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Also is the Long oval >1-3/8,<2-1/8 longer than wide? I've never had one where the difference was 2" or more.
I SEE YOU'VE HAD THIS DISCUSSION PREVIOUSLY, DISREGARD ABOVE.

armod

Familiar Face
hats uk had the diagram of exactly where to measure which is what I was most worried about.

can one tell if they're a RO or LO from trying on hats?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Try on a "regular" sized/shaped hat that is your size. If it presses uncomfortably front and rear, while leaving gaps at the sides above your ears, you're a long oval. Otherwise you are not.

If you ARE a long oval, you will forever find it very difficult to wear very soft felt or finely woven straw hats. That front-t-back tugging makes the sides of the brim deform. And there's not squat to be done about it short of sending it off to a shop to have it "long-ovalized," which is not always successful.

I hope you have a regular oval head. :)

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If "long-ovaling" a hat isn't always successful, pardon the risk of asking a dumb(rille) question, Scott, but how does one actually manufacture a Long Oval hat to begin with? What do they do to keep the brim from deforming. I can't believe I don't know this.

dean

Dewhurst

Practically Family
armod, one of the best ways to decide what shape of head you have is to go to a Western store that has lots of hats. Why a Western store, you ask? Well, in my experience, they always seem to carry the most long oval and regular oval hats, more than your average hat store. Cowboy hats are easier to find in long oval than dress hats, much easier.

If you are like me, you will grab a 7 1/4 in regular and long, and you will find that the regular seats on your head just fine, but the long oval shoots out too far in the front and back. My head is freakishly regular oval, and almost every hat I have ever bought feels like it was molded for my head specifically!

Now, deciding what "size" your head is is an entirely different matter. What you are actually measuring is the size of your head AT THE SEATING POSITION YOU DESIRE. So, if you want your hat to sit really low, almost touching the tops of your ears, you will have to measure low. If you want the hat to sit a finger width or so above each ear (which will also allow you to tilt your hats if desired), you will need to measure up a bit higher. If you want a really high seating position, you get the picture.

A lot of people prefer the "Indiana Jones" seating position, which is particularly low most of the time. Many dress hat peeps prefer a medium seating position which gives them the one finger width or so (1-2) above each ear when the hat is seated evenly without any tilt.

A seamstress or "sewing" tape measure usually works the best. You can get them for a dollar (USD) back in the sewing/crafts section of most department stores (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). You may also consider finding a western or hat store, and trying on a few hats to see where you like them to sit (you may not like the look of the hat, but at least you can get a feel for where the hats of that size will end of resting. Personally, a 7 3/8 sits very low basically touching the tops of my ears, a 7 1/4 sits in the middle, and a 7 1/8 tends to sit very high almost like the hat on James Stewart in my avatar. My head measures about 58.5cm, or 23 inches at the regular or "medium" seating position that I prefer.)

armod

Familiar Face
I was thinking a higher seating position so i can have a lower crown.

I have quite a long face so my thinking was that a lower crown and wide brim would add width to my head

or would it look like it doesn't belong?
[huh]

Dewhurst

Practically Family
armod said:
I was thinking a higher seating position so i can have a lower crown.

I have quite a long face so my thinking was that a lower crown and wide brim would add width to my head

or would it look like it doesn't belong?
[huh]

Hard call. People have handy charts that provide suggestions for face type and appropriate hat shapes to go with it, but they are only suggestions in the most general sense. Aesthetics, sheesh!

Umm, have you tried Hartford Yorks online hat try on deal? Never know, could help you out: http://www.hartfordyork.com/

Just click near the top of the page where it says to try the hats on, online. Would be best to try a physical store though if you aren't sure what kind of hat will look good on you or even what your own preferences are.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
deanglen said:
If "long-ovaling" a hat isn't always successful, pardon the risk of asking a dumb(rille) question, Scott, but how does one actually manufacture a Long Oval hat to begin with? What do they do to keep the brim from deforming. I can't believe I don't know this.
I don't know about how LO hats are manufactured (though I guess a LO-shaped block is used) but I know that they exist. I have heard that Hatsdirect make Akubras which are LO as well as their regular oval ones, so presumably the brim does not get deformed with these as the pressure on the hat is equal.

armod

Familiar Face
avedwards said:
I don't know about how LO hats are manufactured (though I guess a LO-shaped block is used) but I know that they exist. I have heard that Hatsdirect make Akubras which are LO as well as their regular oval ones, so presumably the brim does not get deformed with these as the pressure on the hat is equal.

I think they're referring to stretching a regular hat into a long oval

bendingoak

Vendor
Someone already posted a chart on how to measure ones head. I would recommend have someone else measure your head for you. take the measurements a few times to make sure of the number you get. everyones head different so make sure the tape sits where you want or currently like wearing hats.

Don't use just one chart to find your size. Charts vary greatly from one retailer to the next. Who ever you want to buy a hat from use their hat sizing chart. If you are getting one made by a hat maker give that person your head measurements.

John

armod

Familiar Face
i have my size as 57cm most stores here go with the european sizes or they'll have their charts in store for the SML sizes.

Griff

New in Town
I posted yesterday about the disappointment I had with my Stetson Lodi that I just got from The Fedora Store. As I said, I measured 23in around my head and according to their size chart I should wear a 7 3/8 hat - except the hat floated on my head and wobbled from side to side. I know there are the felt strips I could put inside the headband to tighted it up but I wanted it to fit correctly right off. The Fedora Store said it was a special order and there was no returns.
Well, I wasn't real happy with that so I contacted Stetson direct. The person I spoke with was very nice and understanding and was very willing to help get me into a fedora that fits. When I told her I measured 23in she immediately said I wore a 7 1/4 size. What! Yep, she said Stetson's size chart shows 23in to be 7 1/4 hat size. The Fedora Store size chart (and some other on-line hat stores) are different than what Stetson goes by. The Stetson service rep contacted The Fedora Store and after explaining the mix up is going to exchange the hat for me. Stetson said it might take up to 4 weeks to get the hat to me but they are going to make it right.
Anyway, I feel a whole lot better. Stetson was great and I'm very satisfied with them. I'm sure I'll buy another Stetson some day.
Want to thank all you guys that gave advice. Also - to Steven at Bencraft - I ordered the Tesi Classic in taupe this afternoon. Your salesman suggested the 7 1/4 hat size also. I've been drawn to the Tesi for awhile and it looks like a pretty good fedora for $100. Looking forward to getting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points