1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Hat storage

Discussion in 'Hats' started by KevKaos59, Mar 4, 2010.

1. KevKaos59

KevKaos59 Familiar Face

How do you guys store your hats? I have 6 hats (that I rotate through on a daily basis), but only two hatboxes. One of those shouldn't even count since it is just the box that a new Bailey came in, but it does have an inner tube so that the hat can be placed in the box with the crown down. I keep lookng for new hat boxes, and I find them but they don't have the tubes included. Am I doomed to trying to buy vintage boxes on ebay, or is there a better way?

2. Hereward

Hereward One of the Regulars

Good question that I would also like to know an answer too, being new to wearing a hat (apart from a flat cap).

3. KevKaos59

KevKaos59 Familiar Face

From what I have read on those link so far (connection is acting up) there is a lot of good information. If anyone out there knows where I might find NEW hatboxes that are like the vintage hatboxes, that would be very helpful. I already have small cedar blocks (the size of a bar of soap) to try and keep the moths away.

4. hatted

hatted One of the Regulars

Hat boxes are pretty easy to find - it's the inserts that are not readily available. What we need is instructions on how to make a decent hat box insert (or a website that sells the inserts themselves).

5. fluteplayer07

fluteplayer07 One Too Many

Take a look here:

http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/

The Adventurebilt boxes have the inserts for sure, and I'm fairly certain the normal boxes under 'Hat Boxes' do as well. Expensive, but they seem very good. Was thinking of a few for myself, so if anyone gets or has some, please let me know how they are.

Cheers,
    flute

6. hatted

The Adventurebilt boxes are way too pricey and the other boxes don't have inserts. There are plenty of places to buy hat boxes inexpensively, but there's nowhere to buy the inserts.

7. fluteplayer07

Oh, no inserts? Hey--I thought Penman Hats has some. Don't know how much they are, though.

flute

8. bendingoak

bendingoak Vendor

http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/ Hat boxes are not your regular hat box. They are not cardboard or just finished with tape that you see mostly.

sarahshatboxes are acid free chip board finished with different type of fabrics. There are no staples used on the boxes at all. A lot of care goes into these boxes. High end boxes for high end hats.

I'm not sure but drop Peter a line and ask if he would make you inserts. He's a real nice guy and the company is a family run biz. Not many mom and pop companies around and I for one like to see them stay.

9. hatted

The thing is, I just want a safe place to keep my hats. I'm not planning on displaying hat boxes. I just want safe storage. I'm not against fancy boxes, vintage or otherwise, but I can't abide a box that costs so much. It's about the hat, not the box (for me).

10. Cracker

Cracker One of the Regulars

Panama Bob sells cardboard hat boxes with the inner ring on ebay. Search "Montecristi Panama Hat box Hatbox storage case handle." I don't have one, but I've thought about buying one from him.

11. Mr E Train

Mr E Train One Too Many

I have a few cardboard boxes with inner rings that came with hats that I bought, but for the most part, for hats that I rotate frequently, I have a couple of these in my coat closet.

[​IMG]

http://www.shopgetorganized.com/item/bedroom_triple_hat_rack/0186

They're kind of cheap and cheesy looking, but they get the job done. They're not something I would hang out in the open, but in a closet they're fine.

12. I've got some vintage hat boxes & really like the one that Art sends with his VS customs. I do have some from modern Stetson & Resistol western hat purchases as well as Akubra buys. Seems somebody makes the boxes used by Akubra & Hats Direct, that are utilitarian boxes below those that Art uses that make good storage for hats not in current wear rotation. They probably just don't sell retail... [huh]

13. fluteplayer07

Does Mr. Fawcett sell his boxes, or only with his hats?

14. buler

buler My Mail is Forwarded Here

15. Blackthorn

Blackthorn My Mail is Forwarded Here

You can get pretty good ones, semi-vintage, with inserts, for between $20 and $30 on Ebay. Just do a search for hatboxes. I got a really nice one (Dobbs) for $10 plus another $10 for shipping, complete with insert, about six months ago.

16. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have one of Sarah's hat boxes that came with my Penman fedora. They are great. They look fantastic, and seem very well made. I have only had it for a month or two, but I would be VERY surprised if anything bad happened to this box down the road, they look very sturdy.

17. bendingoak

bendingoak Vendor

I talked with Peter from sarahshatboxes.com and he will make and sells inserts.

18. chum

chum Familiar Face

Do quality hat boxes prevent moth or silverfish damage, or do you have to add something(like cedar) under the insert to be sure?

19. ScottF

ScottF Call Me a Cab

I have a similar question.

I am currently in the process of packing up all of my hats but the ones I wear, for 6-12 months of storage. In addition to individual hatboxes, I have a 31" tall hatbox that I plan to stack about 10 hats in, separated by pieces of plastic.

Given that this could be for 6 months to a year, probably without additional intervention on my part, any recommendations on what to put in the boxes to keep moths away? Would a couple of cedar circles in each box be sufficient, or do I need something longer-lasting, like actual moth balls?